Rogers is withholding the Gigabyte modems to charge customers $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2018 1:44 pm
Feb 6, 2013
106 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto

Rogers is withholding the Gigabyte modems to charge customers $49.99

3-4 weeks of no modems in any Rogers Store, they keep saying next shipping day, then once I call to schedule for a technician and they are here within the next day with a Modem. And a $49.99 bill.

Call me a hypocrite but I'm pretty sure Rogers is doing it intentionally to fish out money, it's ridiculous.
3 replies
Oct 18, 2004
414 posts
276 upvotes
Saint John
FelDer wrote: 3-4 weeks of no modems in any Rogers Store, they keep saying next shipping day, then once I call to schedule for a technician and they are here within the next day with a Modem. And a $49.99 bill.

Call me a hypocrite but I'm pretty sure Rogers is doing it intentionally to fish out money, it's ridiculous.
Meaning of the word hypocrite aside, there is no scam or fishiness. The installers are part of Roger's partner channel and have designated access to a certain amount of these modems. That is, if Rogers orders 10000 modems, they designate 6000 for retail stores and 4000 for partners. Rogers rarely dips into the channel partner supply as the installers provide an important service of installing telco/internet services for new or relocating clients which is important business for Rogers and a huge source of revenue for the installers. In all likelihood, the issue is probably from the manufacturer not being able to maintain supply due to increased global demand. I know this can be frustrating at times for consumers, been there too, but keep in mind that Rogers is service company not a goods company. Without the goods they're not able to make money off you on the service. So trust you me. They want those modems in the retail stores as badly as you want one in your house.

Anyways, my step brother works for Rogers as an installer and once had a store in Paris, Ontario affiliated with Rogers so I know more than I really ever cared to know but he's family so you listen and ask for another cold one :-) Hope some of the insight takes some of the sting out from the modem cost. Have a good one.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
FelDer wrote: 3-4 weeks of no modems in any Rogers Store, they keep saying next shipping day, then once I call to schedule for a technician and they are here within the next day with a Modem. And a $49.99 bill.

Jokes on you. I called after finding most GTA stores don't have any, and they apologized and waived the installation charge. Tech is coming in on Thursday.