• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2014 10:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
5702 posts
592 upvotes
I prefer Plex simply because it syncs the database to any other client running Plex. I can start watching a movie on my phone, stop it and watch it on my TV from the same place. I know you can do this with XBMC but its more involved and you have to be on the same XBMC version for it to work.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2435 posts
212 upvotes
FS and BB don't seem to stock Roku. However, Staples still has the old ones in stock. Might be good to use staples coupons on it when they finally get it in stock...
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
poorwingman wrote:
Mar 17th, 2013 1:07 am
what's the big deal about smb if you can use plex? or is it the principle of being restricted to plex?

i'm running xbmc on my htpc.. and i'm debating whether i should wait for the ouya... or get the roku3 and switch to plex...

these solution seem to be slicker and easier to deal with than getting the android sticks since i don't have spare parts.. and i'd rather not deal with the RMA process from those vendors if the unit is DOA.
I'd rather depend on my local hardware/software instead of plex
Dec 17, 2010
621 posts
231 upvotes
Izzy_Deadyet wrote:
Mar 13th, 2013 10:55 pm
I wouldn't waste my money on anything that doesn't do samba.

I think the best options right now are possibly from Dune. Problem is that I can't find a solid answer as to which Dune players would not have Cinavia. I would have to think that any Dune player with built in blu-ray would fall victim to cinavia.
Everything you want except wifi.
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/OPlay_HD2#specifications
But they discontinued it. I own their HDP-R1 model. I can see all the files I shared on my PC from Oplay and play without any issues. But R1 has no Youtube or Netflix. I can play Youtube through DLNA from my android phone or Plex server.
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
dealhunter16 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 9:21 pm
Everything you want except wifi.
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/OPlay_HD2#specifications
But they discontinued it. I own their HDP-R1 model. I can see all the files I shared on my PC from Oplay and play without any issues. But R1 has no Youtube or Netflix. I can play Youtube through DLNA from my android phone or Plex server.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. How's the PQ compared to other devices you may have used?

I really have to replace my aging Boxee Box. Problem is that as much of a pain the Boxee is, it's hard to beat the PQ. I looked at a comparison sheet yesterday and the Boxee even blew the Dune HD smart series out of the water for PQ. My WDTV HD doesn't even come close to Boxee.

Is it so difficult for someone to build a bloody streamer with great quality, great features and great PQ? Not to mention, sell it in Canada.
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
mark_in_2k wrote:
Mar 19th, 2013 8:15 am
You could always build one yourself.
I'm working on one now but I think I need a different hammer, off to CDNtire
Mar 7, 2011
20 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
OK, just ordered my Roku 3 today for the:

Items: $99.99
Shipping & handling: $15.97
Total before tax: $115.96
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $13.40
Order total: $129.36

However, I had also signed up for Amazon Prime's 30-day free trial, but it didn't give me the 2-day or free shipping (wrong country since it's Amazon.COM), and it instead charged be about $15 (as shown in pricing above) for the cheaper/longer shipping method scheduled to arrive in a few weeks. I chatted with a CSR on the live chat to see if I could remove my Prime account since I didn't get the free shipping (and just as importantly wouldn't be able to check out Prime's TV/Internet streaming for as long)...they ended up removing the shipping charge and upgrading my shipping speed. Total charge $113.39.

Nice.
Mar 7, 2011
20 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
sorry to go off-topic...best, cheapest, most privacy safe VPN?
Jul 9, 2012
31 posts
2 upvotes
Paradise
jungareed wrote:
Mar 20th, 2013 5:36 pm
OK, just ordered my Roku 3 today for the:

Items: $99.99
Shipping & handling: $15.97
Total before tax: $115.96
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $13.40
Order total: $129.36

However, I had also signed up for Amazon Prime's 30-day free trial, but it didn't give me the 2-day or free shipping (wrong country since it's Amazon.COM), and it instead charged be about $15 (as shown in pricing above) for the cheaper/longer shipping method scheduled to arrive in a few weeks. I chatted with a CSR on the live chat to see if I could remove my Prime account since I didn't get the free shipping (and just as importantly wouldn't be able to check out Prime's TV/Internet streaming for as long)...they ended up removing the shipping charge and upgrading my shipping speed. Total charge $113.39.

Nice.
Did you order yours through Amazon.com? I am trying, but I keep getting the error, "We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order."

Thanks.

Update--I got it to work. I was trying to order from a different retailer, not Amazon itself. However, I couldn't get the shipping charge removed as Prime is not for Canadian users according to the CSR on chat.
Dec 17, 2010
621 posts
231 upvotes
Izzy_Deadyet wrote:
Mar 18th, 2013 9:40 pm
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. How's the PQ compared to other devices you may have used?

I really have to replace my aging Boxee Box. Problem is that as much of a pain the Boxee is, it's hard to beat the PQ. I looked at a comparison sheet yesterday and the Boxee even blew the Dune HD smart series out of the water for PQ. My WDTV HD doesn't even come close to Boxee.

Is it so difficult for someone to build a bloody streamer with great quality, great features and great PQ? Not to mention, sell it in Canada.
I only have experience with Asus Oplay and Sony Internet Player. The PQ on both is good but I do not know how it compares with Boxee. I see no issue with PQ on both of my devices. There is no all in one solution for media player. You will need to build your own HTPC or just buy one used PC. There are some nice deals on IBM used equipment website for under 150$ with coupons. Check this:
http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/we ... Id=2576395
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
5702 posts
592 upvotes
I had a quick play with my Roku 3 the other day and it's a very snappy device. Only used Plex, plus I tested the PlayOn channel which let me watch a few US networks.

BTW, Amazon Prime is available in Canada, but it's only for Canadians that order through the .ca site. It doesn't apply to the .com site.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Mar 7, 2011
20 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
valleyguy wrote:
Mar 20th, 2013 7:48 pm
Did you order yours through Amazon.com? I am trying, but I keep getting the error, "We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order."

Thanks.

Update--I got it to work. I was trying to order from a different retailer, not Amazon itself. However, I couldn't get the shipping charge removed as Prime is not for Canadian users according to the CSR on chat.
Nice.

When i fail with one CSR, I always call back another (esp when dealing with telecom problems) and I usually get a result.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
1434 posts
144 upvotes
Victoria
I just ordered from Amazon.com. I am running Plex on my Synology diskstation so hope this works well.

I am cutting the cable next month. This will save me around $100/month.
× < >