• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2019 2:23 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 5, 2004
70 posts
Toronto
I recognize that it's a lot of money. However, my parents were immigrants to Canada and have done a lot for me over my life to allow me to get to where I am today. I feel as though I owe it to them. My dad has always wanted a Rolex, but never bothered to buy one for himself always putting the family first. That's why I am buying these two watches.

I tried calling Versailles and didn't really get anywhere. Best quote I have is 68k taxes in so far.

Are these things cheaper if I buy them in the US or St. Marten or something? I'm sure my wife would love to go on a cruise while we are down there buying watches.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8456 posts
667 upvotes
Lol, cheaper in st Thomas or st Marten? You got to be joking me rights?

Yes they are, you're probably going to save a few more percentages, but remember to declare them when you return. After you pay the taxes, you'll be back to square one.

The Rolex policy that I talked about is global. Not just Toronto in nature.
Jul 28, 2005
245 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Do you really need to get them in gold and diamonds? The SS versions aren't bad at all. You can consider a pair of Yachtmaster in SS at less than half the budget, and then spend the remainder of your cash on a car or something...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8597 posts
1014 upvotes
cookieee wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 6:14 pm
Do you really need to get them in gold and diamonds? The SS versions aren't bad at all. You can consider a pair of Yachtmaster in SS at less than half the budget, and then spend the remainder of your cash on a car or something...
a Yachtmaster is really nice, should consider that instead. Maybe a Gold Sub. Not sure why the OP is dropping 68k to buy a watch, just as well buy him a car + a watch. If a criminal wants OP's dad's watch, they will take it whatever means necessary (means putting dad's life in danger).
[OP]
Nov 5, 2004
70 posts
Toronto
Hmmm.....you guys bring up some interesting points....will have to re-evaluate. Will get back to you. Thanks for the input!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7690 posts
1334 upvotes
the flashier the watch, the more eye catching it is. Great for events where you step in and out of your own car at the door step. Horrible for day/night city walks. Keep that in mind. It doesnt mean you'll get imminently attacked but why risk it? You can still get nice pieces that catch the eye but you dont have to pay 68k for'em.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1147 posts
79 upvotes
+1 to some of the other suggestions, either go for a 18k Gold Presidential, Yacht Master, or a Submariner (maybe the two tone?)

A diamond watch for your father, who I assume is an older man, is just tacky IMO. All gold is much more classy and age appropriate.

Diamond studded watches are more suitable for rappers and rich younger guys who want to show off
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7614 posts
1503 upvotes
Unless you know gold and diamond is the one they want, I think SS may be a better choice with the extra for better use like a cruise trip, goes toward their retirement fund / improvement.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8456 posts
667 upvotes
I commend you on giving your parents something they have always longed for. But from my experience, this never materializes. People throw around xx,xxxx numbers all the time, but when it actually comes down to actually having to fork out the money ($100,000+ before income taxes) I've seen 99% of people pull back and buy something cheaper.

$65k for two roley's is nothing when you're just looking at numbers on paper or a computer screen. Honestly I doubt you'll even do it, you're on here posting about saving a couple of percentage points? Willing to travel to the islands just to do this? Thats just my honest opinion, and I'll apologize if I'm wrong. But don't pretend to be a Baller, most people who seem like ballers have no money.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1730 posts
259 upvotes
r1lee wrote:
Oct 5th, 2012 9:03 am
I commend you on giving your parents something they have always longed for. But from my experience, this never materializes. People throw around xx,xxxx numbers all the time, but when it actually comes down to actually having to fork out the money ($100,000+ before income taxes) I've seen 99% of people pull back and buy something cheaper.

$65k for two roley's is nothing when you're just looking at numbers on paper or a computer screen. Honestly I doubt you'll even do it, you're on here posting about saving a couple of percentage points? Willing to travel to the islands just to do this? Thats just my honest opinion, and I'll apologize if I'm wrong. But don't pretend to be a Baller, most people who seem like ballers have no money.
true that :P the op should consider what a true baller just said :D
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4850 posts
793 upvotes
Word from a true baller indeed.
Dec 25, 2009
408 posts
19 upvotes
Funny how so many were thinking of saying it, but rLee was the first LOL.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8597 posts
1014 upvotes
laip wrote:
Oct 5th, 2012 10:09 am
Funny how so many were thinking of saying it, but rLee was the first LOL.
Because R1 is already a baller with money. He wouldn't even drop 65k for a rolie for himself either, for him it make no financial sense. Not that he can't get one if he really want to though.

If I put a dent on my 65k watch, it would bring tears to my eyes (sad tears).
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12280 posts
3313 upvotes
Ottawa
nick227 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 11:01 pm
+1 to some of the other suggestions, either go for a 18k Gold Presidential, Yacht Master, or a Submariner (maybe the two tone?)

A diamond watch for your father, who I assume is an older man, is just tacky IMO. All gold is much more classy and age appropriate.
kinda agree.....I think a simpler two tone or gold watch is more appropriate, it's still going to cost $$, but I think an older man would appreciate a more simpler classy watch than something more bling'ed out (speaking from my father's opinon of what Rolex he likes)

I can understand a woman wanting a watch face with diamond at the indices, but keep it simple and elegant. Too many of the Rolex watches are just tacky
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1568 posts
287 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
If I had a son, I would be more than happy with Explorer I 39mm and DSSD as gifts. Even second hand is acceptable! Ill skip the submariner please :p

On a side note, is r1lee a true Baller with capital B? I am assuming thats his R8 in the avatar. Dang adapt me! haha