• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 3:06 pm
May 1, 2018
410 posts
207 upvotes
Vancouver
Karala wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 9:41 am
The one closing in BC is super small and really only caters to the apartments in the area. Not much of a loss... Don't know if the same can be said for the other stores closing.
Agreed. I've never been inside and I've walked past it numerous times and it looks super small and cramped. It'd be better served to be used as a restaurant instead as that plaza is seriously lacking some good food options.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1760 posts
258 upvotes
Rona at 1133 Dundas Street West, Mississauga.
Rona at1692 Lakeshore Rd, Mississauga.
These 2 locations are tiny...they used to be Blockbuster stores way back when, to give you an idea of their size. And they're always empty - I wondered how they stayed afloat this long.
Nov 9, 2013
472 posts
62 upvotes
Vancouver
satanshollow wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 2:14 pm
The new west location is horrible. Having to cross bridges to get to it, which writes it off in rush hour. Unless you live in Queensborough.
The New West location that is closing is the Rona on 10th Street not the Lowes in Queensborough.
Feb 5, 2008
849 posts
208 upvotes
Fraser Valley
cybersaga wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 9:20 am
I find the tone of this article kind of funny and overly dramatic.

Uh, no. You came in one day and were told that it would be all gone in 3 months.

Uh, that meeting was their warning. Y'know, so they could hear it from their management and not from the news.
One day that may be you that has a mortgage, family and or financial responsibilities being told that you no longer have a job.

You shouldn't be so disrespectful for all these people losing their jobs.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3990 posts
1289 upvotes
Not surprised at any of this news.
Retail will be virtually extinct one day
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3640 posts
2791 upvotes
Toronto
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 11:41 am
To be honest I've passed by that Centerpoint location many times and always felt it was an odd area to have one when there's more condos than homes in that location. I did too like the smaller and quieter store.
I've only been once and recall it's a wierd layout compared to the regular stores and shoehorned into the Target/Zellers spot. Isn't it two floors with escalators/movators or am I mistaken?
Jul 22, 2009
235 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
So..... when do you think we will see the deals?
Its nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
Apr 13, 2010
461 posts
186 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
FrostyButters wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 6:52 pm
One day that may be you that has a mortgage, family and or financial responsibilities being told that you no longer have a job.

You shouldn't be so disrespectful for all these people losing their jobs.
I do have a mortgage and a family, and I can imagine what it would be like. But I wouldn't go around saying "omg they gave us no warning" when I got 3 months
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Oct 19, 2006
55 posts
12 upvotes
They came close to closing down Dick's Lumber. HQ is hoping to sell it and recoup some money or Dick's Lumber will be round 2 of closings.
Feb 13, 2015
762 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Wouln't be surprisef. I honestly have never been in a rona or lowes ever in my life. And i don't intend to. There isn't even any close by me.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40754 posts
2135 upvotes
Richmond Hill
nx6288 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 10:01 am
the one closing at centerpoint is pretty surprising cause they took over the Target location there so it's pretty new.
I'm surprised at this too, this store is only a couple years old.
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13791 posts
6183 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
nx6288 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 10:01 am
the one closing at centerpoint is pretty surprising cause they took over the Target location there so it's pretty new.
Jon Lai wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 11:39 pm
I'm surprised at this too, this store is only a couple years old.
I'm surprised that y'all are surprised. If a new store consistently fails to meet revenue/profit expectations a good retailer, especially one that's experiencing a general downturn, will cut their losses and move on rather than keep throwing good money after bad.

Contrast with Sears, who failed to act in similar situations.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4441 posts
456 upvotes
Markham
bylo wrote: I'm surprised that y'all are surprised. If a new store consistently fails to meet revenue/profit expectations a good retailer, especially one that's experiencing a general downturn, will cut their losses and move on rather than keep throwing good money after bad.

Contrast with Sears, who failed to act in similar situations.
Agree with you

But a well run company will forecast traffic before spending capital building new stores, they must did investigation before opening this store but close so quickly, that’s what surprises
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13791 posts
6183 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
smartie wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 7:51 am
But a well run company will forecast traffic before spending capital building new stores, they must did investigation before opening this store but close so quickly, that’s what surprises
Even well-run companies make mistakes. How well they recover from those mistakes is factors into what makes them considered "well-run." ;)
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2003
4770 posts
5412 upvotes
The store associates at the Lowe's I went to are really uncompetitive. There were always more staff than customers at the customer service area, but I always had to wait at least 5 minutes before someone will engage me. Store pick up experience were bad, the associates didn't seem to know what they were doing. Every time there were different issues in my checkout process. I only had bad experiences there.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol: