• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 3:06 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3680 posts
529 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 7:02 am
I'm surprised that y'all are surprised. If a new store consistently fails to meet revenue/profit expectations a good retailer, especially one that's experiencing a general downturn, will cut their losses and move on rather than keep throwing good money after bad.

Contrast with Sears, who failed to act in similar situations.
Agreed but the capital they spent on renovating that store and the fact that there really isn't another Lowe's or Rona nearby in that location makes it a surprise.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
2725 posts
958 upvotes
Toronto
Didn't the Lowe's at Centerpoint take over the Target lease at a discount? So these past two years could have been a trial run that has convinced management that the traffic at Yonge/Steeles isn't good enough to keep long term.

I shopped there a few times and found that it has much less sales/promos (especially home improvement) compared to my main Lowe's at Hwy 7 and 400. And it is usually pretty empty on weekends.

I have to say I'm not surprised it's not making profit.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3328 posts
861 upvotes
markham
my opinion is that this is the first sign of things to come..meaning a downturn in the economy..it usually starts with a housing/reno slowdown (no sales of supplies)..with this comes shortages of work , followed by receivables not being paid..anyone working with 30 or 60 day receivables should be very careful in the next year to 18 months...its usually a domino effect
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
4468 posts
814 upvotes
Pho get ronas and lows!
U can do it we can help!

#thehomedepo
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
1101 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto
Stopped by the Lowes at Centerpoint last night and they have already started liquidation. Currently everything is 20% off and final sale (no returns no exchange).
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1581 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nursecvh wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:29 pm
What Best Buy did to Futureshop, the same thing Lowes will do to RONA.

A big American company usually doesn't buy a smaller Canadian company so the smaller company thrives, usually after some time they will shut them up.

Shop at Home Hardware if you can , to support a Canadian business.
Home Hardware is very expensive. Good if you need something quick, though.
Apr 13, 2010
461 posts
186 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
canoek wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 3:52 pm
Home Hardware is very expensive.
Yes and no. I do like that you can often by stuff by the foot there, when sometimes Home Depot and especially Lowes only sell full rolls.

But Home Hardware's stock is too unreliable. You can't see their stock online, and I've had too many wasted trips only to find out they don't have something in stock. Sometimes I've even been told that they don't even know when they'll get more (true story: I was looking for Roxul safe & sound insulation and was told it would be ordered whenever the manager decided to next - couldn't even give me a ballpark date).
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4441 posts
456 upvotes
Markham
We support Canadian business if they are competent. We don’t support Canadian business so they can rip off Canadian
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13789 posts
6180 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cybersaga wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 4:00 pm
But Home Hardware's stock is too unreliable. You can't see their stock online, and I've had too many wasted trips only to find out they don't have something in stock. Sometimes I've even been told that they don't even know when they'll get more (true story: I was looking for Roxul safe & sound insulation and was told it would be ordered whenever the manager decided to next - couldn't even give me a ballpark date).
You can order off their website for delivery to the store. That usually takes a few days, depending on where you live, etc.

Their online site lists probably 10x as much merchandise as a typical store. Moreover since each store is independently owned it carries a unique set of merchandise based on local buying habits (e.g. rural vs. urban) as well as the store's experience. Also some stores specialize. For example one store in K-W specializes in interior renovations like bathrooms while another is a full building center.

In my experience the main value of HH is that the staff tends to be better informed, offers better advice and gives better service. How much is that worth? Well one good idea or suggestion can make the difference between an "OK" purchase and one that delights you because of some feature you didn't realize you needed.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Apr 13, 2010
461 posts
186 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
I understand that every store is independently owned and operated, but even across several stores in different cities, I find the stock unreliable - even stuff they usually stock, I go in, find exactly where on the shelf it should be, and there's nothing there. Super annoying.

And I've never really been one to take much advice from in-store staff. I like to verify what I'm told, so I usually do my research at home and go into the store knowing what I want (usually).

I hate asking questions in store in general 'cause I feel obligated to do it their way when sometimes I disagree or just prefer to do it different and I feel like I'm all like "Thanks for your opinion. I'm going to ignore it now."
Last edited by cybersaga on Nov 11th, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3989 posts
1288 upvotes
“Support Canadian businesses”
Shops anywhere where prices are cheaper
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1836 posts
73 upvotes
I feel bad for the people losing their jobs but I don't seem to shop rona because I find the prices not in line with home Depot so I could see this coming. I know this isn't a hardware store but I still don't understand how the bay stays in business either.
Nikon D810, 16-35 F4, 70-200 F2.8 VR
Oct 22, 2015
976 posts
248 upvotes
I bought a toilet fill valve at Rona for $28 then I saw home Depot had it for $19. I couldn't believe the difference. Exact same one.
I understand a dollar or maybe two difference. But come on.
Needless to say I bought one at home Depot and returned it to Rona even after I had installed it.