• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2018 6:56 pm
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11723 posts
4919 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …

RONA online order for In-Store Pickup is a joke

Just placed an online order at RONA for instore pick-up and once again it was cancelled. This makes 3 times in a row they've pulled this crap on me. They claim the item is out of stock even though the website showed 67 in stock at the time I placed my order. If their in store stock checking doesn't work then why do they even have it on the damn site?

I payed with Paypal and according to Quebec consumer law once an order has been placed and payment accepted they cannot cancel like this. Explained that to Customer Service and am waiting for a call back from the store manager.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
What is the point of this?? Is it simply to reserve the item?

Why not just go to the store and buy it?

Ive done this before as well for sale items, (at Lowe’s) but what annoyed me about it was they don’t even seem to get the item ready. They will have a guy go get one from the shelf after you’re there even though they’ve sent an email saying my item was ready. I swear it would have been quicker for me to just come in and get it myself.

Only 1 time I can remember where they actually had the item ready at the service counter
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Jan 10, 2008
15200 posts
35260 upvotes
Nation's capital
never trust online stock numbers , they're often not up to date .Same thing with HD
Sep 28, 2017
704 posts
472 upvotes
best course of action. when it says in stock and confirmed for you and ready for pick up or hasn't been cancelled, call the store and double confirm it to save a wasted trip. i always do that and have never had a problem...
no matter where you go, there you are.
Sep 26, 2011
450 posts
603 upvotes
Groan-uh is a joke all-around. I'd never attempt an online order!
A few years ago, I went to a Rona Home & Garden store, because the website said there was something like 20+ of a certain item in stock. I couldn't find it, and when I asked two surly staff members, they laughed saying the inventory system is often wrong. These were large items (landscaping tools) so I insisted something's not right... eventually they found an unopened box of them tucked away on one of the really high bay shelving racks.
More recently, I made a trip to a different Rona. Website said 40+ items in stock. Can't find 'em. Staff begin mobilizing a hunt. Their internal inventory system "strangely" isn't showing the location within the store. After about 20 minutes of three people searching, they're found in a nearly-closed box in the middle of a huge pile of other stock in the centre of an aisle. :rolleyes:
I can't imagine the follies that would ensue if one tried to use in-store pickup ordering from these clowns.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Have had GREAT SUCCESS with Lowe’s order & pay online pick up in store
And TERRIBLE RESULTS with Rona’s order online... pay & pick up in store

Sister Companies but two vastly different experiences!

Rona’s stock tracking is indeed a joke.

And it’s just plain stupid to order online but pay in store when you pick up :rolleyes:

No time or cost savings... or any other advantage
More so if you only get an ooops email hours later that the ORDER CONFIRMATION WAS WRONG
:facepalm:

I will continue to use Lowe’s online
But will NEVER use Rona online again
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Everybody is rushing into this online ordering thing afraid of missing out on the future. Problem is that most stores do not have the infrastructure to support this and don't have the massive investment money needed to make it a success. Their computer systems were designed for a B&M store operation, not online which is a totally different thing. I don't waste my time trying to order from places which I don't think are a good fit for online. Even Wal Mart I'm beginning to have my doubts about their online efforts.
Oct 10, 2016
211 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver
woof wrote: Everybody is rushing into this online ordering thing afraid of missing out on the future. Problem is that most stores do not have the infrastructure to support this and don't have the massive investment money needed to make it a success. Their computer systems were designed for a B&M store operation, not online which is a totally different thing. I don't waste my time trying to order from places which I don't think are a good fit for online. Even Wal Mart I'm beginning to have my doubts about their online efforts.
x2, learn that lesson from Canadian tire. They just do not have a plan for how to process an online "in-store pick up" order.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Sharing my experience. Found online an item I want and my local store shows stock, so I visited the store but couldn't find the item or even a related section within the store. Asked around and was told by multiple staff members that this store doesn't sell the item despite what it says online.

Placed an online order to pickup at that store, fully expecting it to be cancelled but thought it was worth a try anyway. Surprisingly pickup notification came back. The store is on my way to another location I needed to visit so I dropped by to see. I watched in disbelief as the customer service desk called another staff member to look for the item then and there. Luckily the the item was located after a short wait, in some clearance bin. The front desk was also nice enough to refund the online purchase and let me redeem Air Miles for the Shop the Block promotion.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)