Roof Quote Feedback

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2018 11:23 pm
Aug 16, 2013
624 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto

Roof Quote Feedback

Is 5000+Tax good quote for a 1650 Sq Ft. detached house with CertainTeed Landmark 50 year Shingles? Can I do better via Asian Contractors?
100 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA
roofgoof wrote: Can I do better via Asian Contractors?
They'll do it for under 2k, but shingles will fall apart after 10 years.
Make sure you get all the details for this 50 year warranty on those shingles.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5530 upvotes
Vaughan
Asian contractors will be cheaper because their prices include cheaper shingles with 15 years (lasts about 10 years).
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
roofgoof wrote: Is 5000+Tax good quote for a 1650 Sq Ft. detached house with CertainTeed Landmark 50 year Shingles? Can I do better via Asian Contractors?
What's the square footage of the roof? Is it 1,650 square feet? If so, that's an OK price - I don't think an legitimate Asian contractor will be much cheaper.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2012
1092 posts
1141 upvotes
Toronto
$5000 is not bad. See if you can pay $5000 cash no tax and save yourself the time of trying to find an asian contractor. No harm in asking if you haven't tried yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2249 posts
858 upvotes
Minden
I had an Asian contractor do my roof in late fall. I was happy with their work. They used BP Mystique shingles. I also had them replace the evestroughs as well.
Aug 16, 2013
624 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
kryton619 wrote: I had an Asian contractor do my roof in late fall. I was happy with their work. They used BP Mystique shingles. I also had them replace the evestroughs as well.
How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
Try

Ben Chiu
(416) 525-8368

Legit Asian company (insured, etc) I used a few months ago for my back side roof. Good work and it was much cheaper than the non-Asian companies.

I forget exactly the price, the non-Asian companies were (1) not interested in my small roof area (2) quoted me $1000+

His price was like a few hundred bucks. I didn't even bargain, just asked him if could also clean out my (very) high gutter as well with his big ladder, and he agreed. Gave him a tip as well for a job well done.
Last edited by rfdrfd on Feb 13th, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
kryton619 wrote: I had an Asian contractor do my roof in late fall. I was happy with their work. They used BP Mystique shingles. I also had them replace the evestroughs as well.
Same here!!
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
A word of advice, don't bother with the shingle warranty. eg. if allowed, you can pay cash and save yourself something, don't get a receipt for warranty claiming.

Because the warranties depreciate as your shingles get older. Then sometimes its not transferrable to a new owner, etc. Or the shingle companies are no longer in business.

For my house, I would "maybe" get $200 bucks back, if successful. The taxes would have been more than that.
Apr 28, 2014
303 posts
175 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
rfdrfd wrote: Legit Asian company (insured, etc) I used a few months ago for my back side roof. Good work and it was much cheaper than the non-Asian companies.

I forget exactly the price, the non-Asian companies were (1) not interested in my small roof area (2) quoted me $1000+
What the hell is a "non-Asian company"? But, anyway, getting any roof done with quality shingles for less than $1000 is a good deal.

Is it a 1650 square foot bungalow? If so, though I think $5000 is not a bad deal for that size roof, do it yourself. Roofing is pretty crummy work when you're doing it for a living, but on a one-storey house with a low-slope, it's a lot of fun to do it with a few beers and the knowledge that you're saving a few grand.
Feb 6, 2018
27 posts
8 upvotes
Cambridge, On
Price sounds fair for anything 6/12 pitch or less , I'm assuming the old shingles are taken off, ice & water, syn underlay, new vents, metal valleys, new wall and chimney flashing, ect.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2249 posts
858 upvotes
Minden
roofgoof wrote: How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
I paid $5K for the roof, $1500 for the evestroughs, and $500 for the flat roof on the garage
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
There is no job that cannot be done cheaper and crappier if you really try.

Get 3 quotes to establish a baseline. Go through those quotes to understand what they are giving you for that price. Ask questions if you don't understand. Ask how alternatives would affect the price. Ask about any differences between the quotes.

Then you're in a better position to evaluate any cheap quotes you get. Figure out where they're saving money and whether or not it matters to you. Maybe they're going to skip the GST/HST and not declare it. Hope you don't need insurance or warranty. Maybe they're going to use cheap materials and skip on "extras" like underlay. Fine if you're moving out in 2 years anyway. Maybe they underpay their under-qualified crew. Not your problem, as long as the crappy workmanship doesn't show up before you sell the house.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
I just got a quote for Certainteed Landmark Architectural shingles for a 3300 square foot home for $7300. Price includes underlayment throughout, 6' of ice shield, drip edge.
Looks like my RFD account was recently hacked. I do not sell anything on RFD especially GC's.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
sunnybono wrote: I just got a quote for Certainteed Landmark Architectural shingles for a 3300 square foot home for $7300. Price includes underlayment throughout, 6' of ice shield, drip edge.
Check references on previous roofs.

Any warranty?

Tax included? Or cash deal?

Most do not include drip edge or for that matter even quote it.

Does seem like ok to good price depending on answers to above.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
cash deal, 10 year warranty, i was going to go out tonight to check our the references...
Looks like my RFD account was recently hacked. I do not sell anything on RFD especially GC's.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
georvu wrote: Check references on previous roofs.

Any warranty?

Tax included? Or cash deal?

Most do not include drip edge or for that matter even quote it.

Does seem like ok to good price depending on answers to above.
Luckily I contracted my roof job before the wind storm as I heard roofers are nailing home owners for shingle repairs.

My contractor just finished yesterday and this is what I received:

House size is 3800sf, not 3300 sf

Certainteed landmark architecture pro series shingles
Certainteed's underlayment all the way up the roof
Certainteed's ice sheild 6 feet as opposed to 3 feet
AND Certainteed's drip edge.

$8300
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
sunnybono wrote: Luckily I contracted my roof job before the wind storm as I heard roofers are nailing home owners for shingle repairs.

My contractor just finished yesterday and this is what I received:

House size is 3800sf, not 3300 sf

Certainteed landmark architecture pro series shingles
Certainteed's underlayment all the way up the roof
Certainteed's ice sheild 6 feet as opposed to 3 feet
AND Certainteed's drip edge.

$8300
That seems like good deal... great timing to replace AFTER wind storms!!
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)