• Jun 17th, 2018 10:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5317 posts
299 upvotes
Kanata

Roof rack options for Dodge Caravan

I have a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan CVP which has a bare roof and I need a roof rack to car top kayaks. I am not sure what my options are.
I checked with aftermarket roof rack, it seems that Thule makes cross-bars and fit kit for my car, but it cost at least $630+tax (not including locks and installation fee).
I know there are factory roof rails and racks that are cheaper than the after market one, but since I didn't get the roof rail when I bought the Van, is the factory roof rail and cross-bar an option to be add afterwards or my only option is to go with aftermarket racks like Thule ones?
4 replies
Oct 28, 2007
207 posts
40 upvotes
Post your question on the Chrysler minivan forum: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/forum.php

They'll likely have the answer on whether you can mount the factory roof rails as a diy or dealer installed job. IIRC, the one thing about installing factory rails outside of the factory is the risk of interfering with the side air bags (assuming your model year had the side air bags). You could ask your Dodge dealer, but I would get as many knowledgeable responses before moving ahead. The minivan forum also has factory Chrysler reps monitoring the forum and at times will assist owners in resolving issues on service, warranty, etc.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5317 posts
299 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks, posted in the forum and may check with dealer as well. Not getting my hope up though.
macquanski wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:31 pm
Post your question on the Chrysler minivan forum: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/forum.php

They'll likely have the answer on whether you can mount the factory roof rails as a diy or dealer installed job. IIRC, the one thing about installing factory rails outside of the factory is the risk of interfering with the side air bags (assuming your model year had the side air bags). You could ask your Dodge dealer, but I would get as many knowledgeable responses before moving ahead. The minivan forum also has factory Chrysler reps monitoring the forum and at times will assist owners in resolving issues on service, warranty, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1501 posts
530 upvotes
Ontario
Have you considered a trailer kitted out for the kayaks if you have somewhere to store it? Hitch is a straight forward DIY fit. Traded in my 14 CVP as it seemed to be a sweet spot for value.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5317 posts
299 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks all for your reply. Trailer can be an option but beside needs place to store it, it limits my options for where to launch the kayak, and pretty much all the place that allows for parking with trailer needs to pay the parking and launch fee every time. I used to just use some foam blocks and directly tied down the kayak on the bare roof of my Van but feel it is not safe in the long run.

Anyway, I think I may just go with aftermarket one like Thule if the mpg loss is not significant. How much fuel efficiency (mpg) would be lost if I put them permanently on the Van? They have two options one is the aero bar which is supposed to be quieter and the other is square bar which is more standard, the aero bar is around $130 more expensive, but I heard is less compatible with add ons. Which one do you think is the better option.

By the way, how much do you get for trade in your 14 CVP, I have thought about trade in for a newer CVP but did not find anything wrong with current one.
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 12:40 am
Have you considered a trailer kitted out for the kayaks if you have somewhere to store it? Hitch is a straight forward DIY fit. Traded in my 14 CVP as it seemed to be a sweet spot for value.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)