Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 5, 2007
549 posts
33 upvotes
Whitby

Roof Rack Question

I can't seem to find any concrete rules on Roof-mounted cargo.
If I already have the full side + cross bars factory installed, is it necessary to have an aftermarket carrier?
E.g. for skis, is it legal to (tightly) secure them to the crossbars or is a third party ski holder mandatory?

I mean, I'd invest in one, but $300 is a bit steep for the few times a year I get to do a long-haul ski trip.
Short hauls are generally not as short on space so the equipment rides inside the back.

I'm going to to QC from ON if that makes a difference with provincial legislation.
3 replies
Oct 2, 2010
25 posts
Orillia
As long as the cargo is secured and will not fall off at highway speeds or during turns, it is legal. Load cannot be wider than 2.6 m, and any rear overhang greater than 1.5 m requires a red flag/marker/tape/etc. during the day, and a red light at night.

ETA: That's according to Ontario laws. No idea what's needed in Quebec.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14542 posts
3849 upvotes
London
I thought the idea with the carrier was to prevent damage to the skis that might occur if you just tie them down (i.e. keep the edges from rubbing together, protect the wax surface on the bottom, stop the top from getting scratched up) ? Also, keep the roof of the van from getting scratched up?
[OP]
Apr 5, 2007
549 posts
33 upvotes
Whitby
Thanks for the info.

I know it was a stupid question, but I also know there are some stupid laws out there so it doesn't hurt to check :p

Those seems like quite reasonable regulations.