roof repair referral needed

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2017 1:26 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1191 posts
249 upvotes

roof repair referral needed

I am in the Niagara region and when it rains very hard for a long time water begins to drip in thru the roof, near the chimney. It only happens under the worst rain conditions. for lighter rain it doesn't happen. I am seeking an individual that can determine why this is happening and affect the necessary repairs. If anybody here can help to advise of what the problem is or if you know somebody who is a professional roof person that can take a look at this problem I would be very grateful. thank. you.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12016 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Sounds like the seal is not tight enough around the chimney. This should be an easy repair, just install a new flashing around he chimney and seal it.

If you ignored the problem for an extended amount of time, the water may have damaged the baseboard under the shingles. They should be replaced or it will continue to rot.

This type of problem should be addressed immediately.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Yep - the flashing will need to be repaired.

Note - depending on the chimney, the old flashing probably won't need to be replaced with new flashing but just re-positioned so that it covers the holes again. Over time, the metal flashing bends due to snow load and ice so that they may not be in the right position to their job, Many older chimneys have the flashing sandwiched between the courses of brick so replacing the flashing will mean removal of mortar and maybe bricks which is a big job. So, look for someone who understands this and will go for a re-positioning of the flashing instead.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)