• Dec 1st, 2014 12:39 am
Tags:
None
Nov 29, 2005
418 posts
55 upvotes

roof shingle are falling off due to the high wind

hi,

last night due to high wind the shingle from the roof are falling off.
need reliable service roof repair company in Toronto. (blackcreek and lawrence) area.

Also looking into getting the roof re shingled. (Now or in coming summer)
- Can someone give any info regarding what should I be looking for in roofing company
- what kind of roofing is good? such what and how the roofer should do the roofing,
- any warranty / licencing and other requirement I should be looking for in a company?

any recommendation?

thanks
:)
39 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
Op - please don't mind, I came to look for something as well - Although in mississauga area - Winds are pretty bad and we had a sheet of shingles fly away, both me and my neighbor in semi house.

What's best to do this time of year - call someone from 'homestars' reputable and ask to patch fix shingles/holes? We're re-doing our roof completely next year anyway.

Thanks for all feedback/advice
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Tons of local roofers. We get cards every month dropped off in the mail box. Call around. Pretty easy to get a good one. Make sure you get a guy who's done few houses in the hood. For a semi-detached you're looking at $2000-$2200 for the job. Assume a detached is like a grand more. Pretty easy. 5-6 guys, they start around 8am and finished by 5pm for the entire job. They do all the cleaning, garbage disposal - everything. Best to do it spring and summer months.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2007
2434 posts
328 upvotes
Waterloo
There are 2 houses on my street that had a bunch of their vinyl siding come off. Feel so bad for them.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
As for roof shingles they're pretty solid and should be replaced every 15yrs or so... and can stand up to very high winds. So if you see patches fall off here and there it's most likely because they're wearing out and degrading. In other words time to re-shingle the entire roof not just a few square feet.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
aznnorth wrote: Tons of local roofers. We get cards every month dropped off in the mail box. Call around. Pretty easy to get a good one. Make sure you get a guy who's done few houses in the hood. For a semi-detached you're looking at $2000-$2200 for the job. Assume a detached is like a grand more. Pretty easy. 5-6 guys, they start around 8am and finished by 5pm for the entire job. They do all the cleaning, garbage disposal - everything. Best to do it spring and summer months.
Yeah I got couple of quotes from roofers on homestars - they're in the range of $3500-$4000. You're right the ones that drop off ads/cards and in flyers can probably do it cheaper but not sure what materials/shingles they'll use and warranty wise, i'd be concerned.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
aznnorth wrote: As for roof shingles they're pretty solid and should be replaced every 15yrs or so... and can stand up to very high winds. So if you see patches fall off here and there it's most likely because they're wearing out and degrading. In other words time to re-shingle the entire roof not just a few square feet.
Correct - it's original builder shingles, not the best in my area as several homes had their roof done in Aug/September time frame - the shingles on garage specially started to degrade and curl up - most of my neighbors have same issue.

I will just get the entire thing done. Not worth fixing here and there.
Nov 26, 2006
150 posts
5 upvotes
yea, not to hijack op's thread either, looking for same thing but in markham area. I might have only 1 or 2 shingles missing, and maybe a couple curled up. Was looking to replace the whole roof next summer anyways. Should I just wait it out or get those 1 or 2 shingles repaired?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
TorontoEh wrote: Yeah I got couple of quotes from roofers on homestars - they're in the range of $3500-$4000. You're right the ones that drop off ads/cards and in flyers can probably do it cheaper but not sure what materials/shingles they'll use and warranty wise, i'd be concerned.
That's why I recommend getting a local guy who's been around quite a few years and can name addresses he's done work on. You can see it in person and possibly speak to the homeowners/neighbors about the job done. Nothing better than first hand review. Someone who has at least a decade of experience. Most of the first gen guys in their 50's and their crew tend to more upfront than the recent crop from china. Plus, they should all be licensed, have insurance, and liability/warranty coverage at the basic level. The guy we had did 18 homes in a 3 block radius over the last few yrs. Spoke to one of the neighbors across the street who had theirs done and seems he's good to go, had no issues. Every roofer has different level and quality of shingles. Depends what you can afford. As usual money talks, BS walks.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
lasthero wrote: yea, not to hijack op's thread either, looking for same thing but in markham area. I might have only 1 or 2 shingles missing, and maybe a couple curled up. Was looking to replace the whole roof next summer anyways. Should i just wait it out or get those 1 or 2 shingles repaired?
Wait!!!
Apr 8, 2010
812 posts
462 upvotes
toronto
i would not wait but get those that fell off replaced. with winter around the corner, snow is likely to sit on top of the bare spots and do more damage. for the cost to get a few singles replace ( $100-$200) i think it's well worth it
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2004
1052 posts
GTA
i'm in the same boat as the OP. i was hoping to hold off the cost of re-roofing till next year, but the wind storm yesterday changed that. need recommendations on a reliable but not overly expensive company that services Markham.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Pleaaase... One winter is not gonna damage the roof for a few square feet of missing shingles. If so you have a crappy roof to begin with. Spend $200 bucks now plus labor then spend another 4k next spring/summer. Um, ok...
Apr 8, 2010
812 posts
462 upvotes
toronto
aznnorth wrote: Pleaaase... One winter is not gonna damage the roof for a few square feet of missing shingles. If so you have a crappy roof to begin with. Spend $200 bucks now plus labor then spend another 4k next spring/summer. Um, ok...
so what you're implying is that a few shingles missing and having the sheathing exposed to water, ice and snow isn't going to do any damange to the roof or inside with the water coming in? in your famous words... Ummm.. ok...

i personally would spend the 100-200 *including* labour to be on the safe side
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
I had a couple blow off and exposed the plywood underneath. Leaving them exposed all winter would be insane.

Got my butt up there this afternoon and replaced them all. Damn cold but its fixed.
Banned
May 4, 2006
2914 posts
180 upvotes
Hamilton
aznnorth wrote: Pleaaase... One winter is not gonna damage the roof for a few square feet of missing shingles. If so you have a crappy roof to begin with. Spend $200 bucks now plus labor then spend another 4k next spring/summer. Um, ok...
Do you even own a home? LOL, you sound like a slum lord.

Anyone who needs a roof patched, contact me. $100 to $200 depending on how many shingles are missing.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2326 posts
685 upvotes
Acton, Ontario
I think he means spend little money and repair roof now, then do full roof in spring once the weather gets nice again.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
We have a semi. Years ago our roof looks to need replacement. Our neighbour signed up some company to do their. That company came to ask us if we want to do together. I said I'd like to research more before replying.

Most companies uses IKO brand shingles, made of asphalt. I found CertainTeed brand, made with fibre glass, and supposed to last longer. CertainTeed was slightly more expensive, by less than $200 for the house. I decided to go with CertainTeed shingles and found a company to do it.

Last year our neighbour had to replace their roof. My roof still look pretty good.

That was the research I did years ago. Those of you looking to reroof, you should look into what kind of shingles you'd like to pay for, in addition to the labour cost.
Nov 26, 2006
150 posts
5 upvotes
just wanted to clarify my earlier post, there are like i said maybe 1 or 2 shingles missing, but no plywood is exposed, it looks like maybe another layer of shingles are underneath(can't really tell its a dark material)? I will check again in the morning to see if i can make sure. I guess after I take a better look i'll decide what to do.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Don't go through homestar. That site is such a scam. Ever see negative reviews? rarely because the companies that are listed pay homestar good money to remove the reviews. Go by word of mouth.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic