Roofers Damaged Patio Blocks

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2019 3:11 pm
Jan 22, 2017
133 posts
71 upvotes
AB

Roofers Damaged Patio Blocks

We just had our roof re-shingled. The roofers had their "drop zone" at the back of my house where we have a concrete patio made of 24" x 24" concrete slabs (sidewalk blocks). The workers put tarps down to collect the old shingles, metal flashings and other debris. They also threw down several full bundles of shingles to do the lower ledges. After final clean up, we noticed that three of the concrete slabs each had a huge crack down the middle which definitely were not there before. The project manager immediately stated they would be happy to pay for the cost of three new blocks. I'm thinking now they should have put down pieces of plywood to protect the drop zone in addition to the tarps.

The dilemma is that I have checked all local hardware and concrete stores and nobody carries this color anymore...it's sort of a tan rose color with a slate pattern. The patio was originally professionally installed over 12 years ago. The only blocks I've found that have a similar-ish pattern and same size are a dark charcoal color and are about $20 a piece.

I have tried to creatively think how I could rearrange the damaged blocks to less noticeable areas, but unfortunately, there isn't really any. I also thought of doing some sort of pattern with the charcoal blocks to mix in with the existing tan ones, but that would require more than 3 new blocks and a lot of my time and labour. Plus not sure that the two colours would look good together. Any ideas?

Should the roofer be dealing with this? I'm annoyed that I've spent all this time trying to find replacement slabs that don't exist. It's not only the cost of the blocks, but my time to source, buy and install and remove heavy blocks. If I leave the damaged blocks which are in a highly visible area, I assume the roofers will not provide any compensation.Would it be reasonable to request something like $250 credit for the damage? Advice on how to proceed?
Images
  • 1-IMG_20190917_093147473.jpg
  • 1-2-IMG_20190917_081306566.jpg
22 replies
Mar 1, 2016
453 posts
442 upvotes
What about just getting them to pay for four and do a square of the new colour in the middle or some other geometric pattern to make it look deliberate. Or what about replacing the three and having them cover the cost of stain/paint so that everything would match? No idea if either would look good...just throwing out ideas. Have you seen if there any discontinued tile places in your area. Might still be able to find them somewhere if they aren’t still in production.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
That sucks. I feel for you. Unfortunately, anything outside can get damaged.

I like the suggestion above of doing a square with 4 new slabs.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1993 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
I had the same pattern in my backyard many years ago.

Have you tried Bestway Stone in Vaughan?

That is where I bought mines.

Cheers and good luck !
Last edited by badass on Sep 18th, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
LenG17 wrote:
Should the roofer be dealing with this? I'm annoyed that I've spent all this time trying to find replacement slabs that don't exist. It's not only the cost of the blocks, but my time to source, buy and install and remove heavy blocks. If I leave the damaged blocks which are in a highly visible area, I assume the roofers will not provide any compensation.Would it be reasonable to request something like $250 credit for the damage? Advice on how to proceed?
The time wasted does suck but if you are in a car accident insurance doesn’t compensate you for your time getting quotes, renting a car, etc.

I would stick with replacement costs only for the stones at $20ish bucks each. If you say you want $250 that will be the last you will hear from them. Plus, $250 is just a number you pulled out of your butt.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5003 upvotes
Toronto
Have you contacted the company that did the original install? I'm working under the assumption you checked with the original supplier of the pavers, but you don't mention that in your post.

Looks like you have around 70 stones there. Obviously replacing the entire patio would be silly.

Not sure how much of the patio you use, but one last-ditch, zero cost (other than effort) option is to remove the last row of pavers and have 2 feet less patio. Or even a couple of pavers from either end of the last row so it sort of 'tapers' into the yard. Leave the 5 pavers in the middle of the row, and remove the ones from either end.

Or make the garden along the fence 2 feet deeper. Use the 3 stones you need and keep a couple of extras aside. Always keep extra flooring/tile/pavers etc. when doing something like this. Even a matching bundle of shingles isn't a bad idea if your roof has unique 'architectural' shingles and you have room to stash a bundle somewhere.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
torontotim wrote: Even a matching bundle of shingles isn't a bad idea if your roof has unique 'architectural' shingles and you have room to stash a bundle somewhere.
Nothing special about our roof but our roofer told me I really should keep 3 bundles for repairs which he left for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1915 posts
1501 upvotes
Longueuil
Did you check on kijiji? We needed some extra pavers this Summer for my parents since we worked in their backyard. My father installed the pavers ~30 years ago and this model of paver is not sold anymore. I found some on kijiji for very cheap (shape was exactly the same, color was not a perfect match but close enough, can't ask for a perfect match 30 years later).

If you say the pavers cost about $60, I would ask for $120 (no one works for free, unless the roofers installed your shingles without charging labor... :-D).

($120 is a fair price, it would cost $100 just to have someone take a look at the job so not including materials and labour)
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Ask for the $250 off and take the time to properly think about how to handle this. That would be the best.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
Let them know, see what they come back with. They're roofers, and not saying you didn't do due dilligence, but they potentially know a better source for replacing those cracked pavers. They shouldn't be all that expensive, assuming you can find them, so I'd give them a chance.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Frankie3s wrote: Ask for the $250 off and take the time to properly think about how to handle this. That would be the best.
That would be the best way to get them to tell you to shove off.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Jerico wrote: That would be the best way to get them to tell you to shove off.
Why? The cost of labor to have someone come out and correct this, plus material would be far more than $250. It would be a very wise idea for the roofing company to do to build good will and get out of this relatively cheaply. Why should the OP shoulder the burden of doing the work themselves for a problem that isn't of their making?
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Frankie3s wrote: Why? The cost of labor to have someone come out and correct this, plus material would be far more than $250. It would be a very wise idea for the roofing company to do to build good will and get out of this relatively cheaply. Why should the OP shoulder the burden of doing the work themselves for a problem that isn't of their making?
As soon as you show yourself to be unreasonable they won’t be either. OP doesn’t have a quote for $250, it’s just a number he pulled out of thin air. If he had a quote from someone that would be different but no contractor makes a habit of paying random numbers to people, damage done or not.

It doesn’t make business sense because too many customers do this stuff all the time.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Jerico wrote: As soon as you show yourself to be unreasonable they won’t be either. OP doesn’t have a quote for $250, it’s just a number he pulled out of thin air. If he had a quote from someone that would be different but no contractor makes a habit of paying random numbers to people, damage done or not.

It doesn’t make business sense because too many customers do this stuff all the time.
If the OP gets a quote it would be a lot more than $250 and I'm sure anyone in the trades, like roofers, would know this and would simply pay it considering the likelihood that they had done the damage. If you've ever carried a bundle of shingles (and I have), having this dropped from a roof could easily do damage like this on a tile.

If this does go to litigation the OP could easily demonstrate how likely these damages had occurred during the installation of the roof. The judge would render their decision on the probability and award the damages accordingly. If the OP couldn't get those 4 exact tiles, the roofing company could be on the hook to replace the entire patio in order to make him whole. So it's doubtful that the roofing company would tell him to "shove off."

It is the responsibility of the roofing company as professionals (or non-professionals in bad cases) to inspect their work areas and document or report any damages before commencing work. Had they bothered to look at the patio before dropping the materials off the roof, they would know for sure whether they had caused the damages or not.

If $250 would break the roofing company then they obviously shouldn't be in the business. The OP has a reasonable exception to be made whole and shouldn't have to settle with unmatched tiles, nor having to do the remedial work themselves for a problem I believe they didn't do.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Frankie3s wrote: If this does go to litigation the OP could easily demonstrate how likely these damages had occurred during the installation of the roof. The judge would render their decision on the probability and award the damages accordingly. If the OP couldn't get those 4 exact tiles, the roofing company could be on the hook to replace the entire patio in order to make him whole. So it's doubtful that the roofing company would tell him to "shove off."
Contractors have so many Bull crap claims against them by so many scamming customers they are very gun shy when it comes to damage they actually cause. It’s completely unbelievable to me how people claim they were expecting things different from what is clearly laid out in the contract, or how damage was done that was clearly there in the “before” pictures, or damage done long after the install was finished. We take so many pictures now before and after as certain people come after us for stuff, sometimes months later for things that are in photos or they do damage to a door and claim it was installed that way.

One of my favourites was someone claiming we cracked their wall and since it was a special colour we would need to repaint their entire main floor (some of which wasn’t even that bloody colour) and the paint was $150/gallon and they only trusted their brother in law to do it at exorbitant rates. Meanwhile before and after photos show the same crack in the same place. Those people chased us for 6 months and threatened litigation and we told them good luck.

From speaking with other contractors, everyone has a story or 6 like that. So now OP is going after them for $250, a number with no factual basis at this time? Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
First you should probably realize that you have no provable case if you did not take before and after photos. This is why I take dozens of detailed photos and a walk-around HD video before contractors show up to do any job, especially roofing.

Unfortunately damage to those tiles will inevitably happen over the years, so you can either learn to live with minor cracks or figure out a replacement solution. The idea of replacing the cracked tiles with a new pattern that looks reasonable may be the best you can do without replacing the whole thing.

It is worth asking the roofer what they are prepared to do, since it probably was their action that damaged the tiles. A reputable roofer may make a not-too-generous offer, while a cheap roofer will deny any responsibility. See what you can negotiate.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
BigDurian wrote: What about just getting them to pay for four and do a square of the new colour in the middle or some other geometric pattern to make it look deliberate. Or what about replacing the three and having them cover the cost of stain/paint so that everything would match? No idea if either would look good...just throwing out ideas. Have you seen if there any discontinued tile places in your area. Might still be able to find them somewhere if they aren’t still in production.
Great advice but I would ask for 8 stones and make the inner square the new tiles.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
antigua1999 wrote: Great advice but I would ask for 8 stones and make the inner square the new tiles.

That’s probably the winner right there!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4682 posts
3973 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Frankie3s wrote: If the OP gets a quote it would be a lot more than $250 and I'm sure anyone in the trades, like roofers, would know this and would simply pay it considering the likelihood that they had done the damage. If you've ever carried a bundle of shingles (and I have), having this dropped from a roof could easily do damage like this on a tile.

If this does go to litigation the OP could easily demonstrate how likely these damages had occurred during the installation of the roof. The judge would render their decision on the probability and award the damages accordingly. If the OP couldn't get those 4 exact tiles, the roofing company could be on the hook to replace the entire patio in order to make him whole. So it's doubtful that the roofing company would tell him to "shove off."

It is the responsibility of the roofing company as professionals (or non-professionals in bad cases) to inspect their work areas and document or report any damages before commencing work. Had they bothered to look at the patio before dropping the materials off the roof, they would know for sure whether they had caused the damages or not.

If $250 would break the roofing company then they obviously shouldn't be in the business. The OP has a reasonable exception to be made whole and shouldn't have to settle with unmatched tiles, nor having to do the remedial work themselves for a problem I believe they didn't do.
If the OP's issue is legit, then $250 is a reasonable amount.
However, like Jerico said, there are douchebag scammers out there.
And sometimes it's not even a scam, just an extrapolation, where the client "thinks" you've done something, even though there is little logical connection between what you were doing and the issue. Those slabs may have been cracked way before the roof was done, or had hairline cracks that only appeared when weight was applied to them.

I had a client ask me to put the cover back on their electrical service panel because the last guy there forgot to do so. (I was there to fix a running toilet). Three days later I get a call saying that the second floor bedrooms have no power, and I must have done something while attaching the cover with the four screws. Turns out that a duplex receptacle in one of the bedrooms had a loose screw, and the wife had been plugging and unplugging an iron into it for 20 years, and it finally failed. But it was my fault.
I actually diagnosed the problem, and as l a courtesy, did not charge the client. I've gotten further work from them, so it all worked out.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1915 posts
1501 upvotes
Longueuil
To be honest, there is no way it would cost the OP $250 to have those tiles replaced. Having a contractor come to his house, check the tiles, try to find the same model/color and come back to replace them. You seriously think it will cost less than $250? It will likely cost even more than $250. No one works for free and contractors definately do not. It is a small job and finding those tiles might be difficult so it won't be cheap.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)