Roofing questions - Shingle brands & contractors

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2023 3:49 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 4, 2006
919 posts
92 upvotes
Want to get some quotes on new roofing. Any recommendations for companies to go with. This is for a 17 year old townhouse in the GTA. My neighbour had booked an appointment with Breno and is not happy because he books the appointments and does not show up. Breno roofing came yesterday [after several cancelled appointments] and said that we needed to fix the vents and seal them as there were gaps and also clean the eves troughs.

He wanted 750$ for each house [approx 750 to 800 sq ft] . Would you say I replace the shingles instead by adding a bit more money and get a cleaner job done. My neighbour did not ask about the shingles so not sure about the price for that.
-
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
I suggest save the $ and put it towards a new roof as yours are likely on the way out
Dec 12, 2019
7 posts
3 upvotes
I have one or two loose shingles on a new to me home. Best quote I've gotten was $1300 for a "full review." I don't want a full review, I want someone to nail down a couple shingles. Any idea who might do this for a fair price?
Sep 10, 2004
573 posts
112 upvotes
I would say at least couple hundred bucks if you able to get a roofer/handyman to come out.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1006 posts
457 upvotes
Just want to add that if your old shingles have curled on the edges, a roof apron or drip edge can help prevent that from happening in your new roof and the material and labour cost to install it is minimal in relation to how much longer and more effective it can make your shingles perform.
Dec 12, 2019
7 posts
3 upvotes
bluingreen wrote: I have one or two loose shingles on a new to me home. Best quote I've gotten was $1300 for a "full review." I don't want a full review, I want someone to nail down a couple shingles. Any idea who might do this for a fair price?
I'm just curious what reliable contractors would be willing to come out for a smaller total cost than $1300. If uncomfortable posting, please PM me the names.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1342 posts
390 upvotes
Oakville
Bumping this thread up. I was planning on calling a few guys at the end of the month to start work at the end of April/early May - though I'm not sure what this covid crisis is going to do to these companies.

Anyways, anyone have thoughts, positive or negative on any of these guys?
  • Jay Carter
  • Avenue Road Roofing
  • Canadian Roofing Company
  • Smart Roofing
I've already read up, and Roofs on Homes and George Kent will be called for quotes. Just not sure about who else to add to the list.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
Last year, I had contacted those ones on your list, except Ave Rd, Cdn roofing and Smart. George Kent was the worst and did not even want to give me a detailed quote and told me it is "ball parked" at $XXXXX. When I got this figure, it was the highest of all. I also checked out Imperial Roofing too. The Estimator is okay to work with and you get the quote after his assessment of your needs. Jay Carter and Roofs on Homes are pretty good too (relatively close to each other's quote ... on my house). My friend used Midway Home Improvement a few years back and they are good as well. He did call them back last year to investigate a slow leak and they promptly showed up to investigate and corrected a small issue at no charge.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1342 posts
390 upvotes
Oakville
booblehead wrote: Last year, I had contacted those ones on your list, except Ave Rd, Cdn roofing and Smart. George Kent was the worst and did not even want to give me a detailed quote and told me it is "ball parked" at $XXXXX. When I got this figure, it was the highest of all. I also checked out Imperial Roofing too. The Estimator is okay to work with and you get the quote after his assessment of your needs. Jay Carter and Roofs on Homes are pretty good too (relatively close to each other's quote ... on my house). My friend used Midway Home Improvement a few years back and they are good as well. He did call them back last year to investigate a slow leak and they promptly showed up to investigate and corrected a small issue at no charge.
If you dont mind me asking, which one did you end up choosing? Were you happy with the end result?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
replacing-shingles-what-important-factors-2273453/16/

You had some input in the above thread.

I did mine with above it all roofing (certainteed certified), Georgetown
https://m.facebook.com/aboveitallroofing1/

I would think it will not be the cheapest nor the highest. I chose it because I had a small flat roof that they can use commercial grade materials rather than residential grade materials, which the former should last a bit longer .

Mega city roofing (GAF certified) is another one yo check out as @golden did it last summer and was satisfied with work and price.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3186 upvotes
Ottawa
We're getting our roof quoted in the Ottawa area. I've had 5 or so roofers out so far. All are certified in their respective product offerings, been around at least 15 years, and are well reviewed. I have a couple others coming out because I'm anal, but...

Their approach is all the same in terms of what and how they're doing the work, what they're replacing (2 new 301 maxi vents, new chimney flashing, new drip edge, 6 ft of ice barrier, synthetic underlay on entire roof). Approach when finding rotten wood are a bit different, ranging from included in the price to an added cost if typically $65 for OSB or $95 for plywood. But the quotes are all within acceptable range of each other; we're talking +/- $500 on an $8000 job.

Installation warranties range from 15 to 50 years, so a bit of a wide range there.

The main discernible difference, though, is in the product they're offering. We had quotes for all of the following:

- IKO Dynasty ($8000)
- GAF Timberline HD ($7600)
- BP Weather-Tite ($8250)
- Owens Corning TrueDefinition Duration ($7800 and $8500)
- CertainTeed Landmark Pro ($8250)

The guy offering the CertainTeed is actually certified in Owens Corning, IKO, and GAF and prefers the CertainTeed product. He called GAF cheap entry level, spoke badly about IKO's warranty, and really highlighted the weight difference of the shingles when discussing their respective quality. His highest quote was for the CertainTeed Landmark Pro at $8250, but offered GAF as low as $7600 (which was exactly the same as the competitor only offering GAF...).

So, I'm not sure what direction to go.

All costs equal, which is the best shingle for a residential application?

Seems CertainTeed based on other posts. With one particular contractor who is actually certified in all 3 brands, it's $7600 for GAF Timberline HD, +$225 or so for Owens Corning Duration or CertainTeed Landmark, and +$650 or so for CertainTeed Landmark Pro.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3186 upvotes
Ottawa
We received another quote today. He's a bit more than everyone else, but there were some interesting things in his description of the work.

He's proposing GAF Timberline HD.

His chimney flashing installation details include grinding a 0.5" deep groove in the brick and installing counter flashing instead of caulking the chimney flashing. Which is the better approach?
He's also the only roofer that noted the fact that we have a CT-6 vent for our kitchen hood fan, and proposed replacing it and insulating if needed.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2016
1047 posts
987 upvotes
Comox Valley
To Dynatos

His chimney flashing details would normally be the best of all of them. However without photos of your existing flashing, I cannot answer 100%.

For your previous post, I like
GAF timberline and
- CertainTeed Landmark Pro

For Owens Corning TrueDefinition Duration, I have never worked with them, but they might be a good option. I was talking to a roofing contractor this week, and felt they were high quality.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3186 upvotes
Ottawa
User452441 wrote: To Dynatos

His chimney flashing details would normally be the best of all of them. However without photos of your existing flashing, I cannot answer 100%.

For your previous post, I like
GAF timberline and
- CertainTeed Landmark Pro

For Owens Corning TrueDefinition Duration, I have never worked with them, but they might be a good option. I was talking to a roofing contractor this week, and felt they were high quality.
Thanks.

The installer proposing the counter flashing on the chimney also suggested GAF cap and ridge venting at a $750+tax premium over the maxi vents. He's GAF Master Elite, and to qualify for Gold he says they would be required to meet the 5 GAF product requirement. How would this compare to the Maxi vents and is it worth $850?

He's interestingly already $1k above the other GAF estimate, and the other estimates claim to be using the same material. His only measurable differences appear to be in the chimney flashing installation, and the fact that he's offering the possibility for a Gold warranty with GAF, whereas the others are only hitting Silver. Though, the other quotes are unclear as to which ice/water shield and underlay they're using, so that might be the difference. For $1k more after taxes, he specifies GAF Storm Guard and Deck Armour, whereas one of the others doesn't specify the ice barrier and the other is using GAF Felt Buster.

These comparisons are challenging.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3186 upvotes
Ottawa
Those are the premium shingles and 2-4x the cost of any of these others discussed.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2016
1047 posts
987 upvotes
Comox Valley
Dynatos wrote: Thanks.

The installer proposing the counter flashing on the chimney also suggested GAF cap and ridge venting at a $750+tax premium over the maxi vents. He's GAF Master Elite, and to qualify for Gold he says they would be required to meet the 5 GAF product requirement. How would this compare to the Maxi vents and is it worth $850?

He's interestingly already $1k above the other GAF estimate, and the other estimates claim to be using the same material. His only measurable differences appear to be in the chimney flashing installation, and the fact that he's offering the possibility for a Gold warranty with GAF, whereas the others are only hitting Silver. Though, the other quotes are unclear as to which ice/water shield and underlay they're using, so that might be the difference. For $1k more after taxes, he specifies GAF Storm Guard and Deck Armour, whereas one of the others doesn't specify the ice barrier and the other is using GAF Felt Buster.

These comparisons are challenging.
My view is I would have zero concerns in putting on a GAF shingle. I did a re-roof on a rental house 10 years ago and used them. Did my own house 3 years ago and used Malarkey NorthWest. That GAF shingles we are talking about would last 30 years, easy.

For consumer reports that was noted, they are as you state premium shingles, and at least twice the cost. Usually put on very high class houses. I would have preferred to have Consumers Reports be more realistic with what the average homeowner would use.

For ridge venting compared to Maxi vents. I have never used Maxi vents, so I have no views on. For ridge venting I prefer them, as long as your soffit vents are open, and not closed off with insulation, and/or small soffit vents (sometimes in older houses). Good post is here
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/maxi-ven ... g-1050126/

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2013/0 ... ridge-vent

The Gold Warranty is interesting. You would get more of a benefit if you use all GAF materials. But sometimes roofers will use different manufacturers of caps, underlayment, etc. because they might be better products. So even through you get a better warranty, the materials used may not be as good. Post here explains the warranties
https://www.tricountyroofingsc.com/blog ... f-warranty

Ask your contractor to drop off they type of shingles you may want to use. I have down that to let the homeowner compare them, and colour choice. That way you can track down what you think is the better shingle
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3186 upvotes
Ottawa
TomLafinsky wrote: GAF-Elk "Timberline Natural Shadow" scored a 60 out of 100. Up to you to decide how often you want your roof done...
Fair, but at that price a metal roof becomes more economical than asphalt.

I am not a CR member so cannot see the ratings. How do the Owens Corning Duration and CertainTeed Landmark compare to the rest?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2016
1047 posts
987 upvotes
Comox Valley
Dynatos wrote: Fair, but at that price a metal roof becomes more economical than asphalt.

I am not a CR member so cannot see the ratings. How do the Owens Corning Duration and CertainTeed Landmark compare to the rest?
Images
  • EE60607F-806B-4547-8DF0-65F386B087DF.png
  • 3821E934-4A5D-4D14-998F-2A00FEC0B671.png
  • 1C5056F7-6EE7-4E36-9B5F-0A87C2CDB14D.png
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3186 upvotes
Ottawa
User452441 wrote: Ask your contractor to drop off they type of shingles you may want to use. I have down that to let the homeowner compare them, and colour choice. That way you can track down what you think is the better shingle
The contractor I'm leaning towards offered to do just that.

As for the venting, our soffit are blocked. The house is new to us (and 1956, so not new). The previous owner installed new aluminum soffit over existing solid plywood. We're also pricing fixing that, which is likely to be full plywood removal, replacement of all the tin, and baffle vents.

We now have some time to decide I guess. Today Ford shut down all non essential construction in Ontario for at 14 days... but we still want to get in the queue for our selected contractor.
Last edited by Dynatos on Apr 3rd, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)