• Sep 11th, 2016 7:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1928 posts
382 upvotes
Thornhill
I have a question about proper counter flashing installation.

Just had my roof done, and on where the slope of the roof meets the brick wall, they just install the flashing with a straight sloping edge instead of the previous "shark tooth" steps pattern. Which is considered the proper way of doing it? Is it just an aesthetic difference? Which one is less likely to cause problem in the future? TIA.
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
2 upvotes
RFDkit wrote:
Jun 14th, 2009 9:11 am
How can you tell if shingles need to be replaced besides finding the roof is leaking. The shingles on my roof is about 10 years old and I don't know if they are the 15 yr, 20 yr or 25 yr shingles. I don't have leaks or missing shingles but I am seeing some shingles are curling up around their edges.
our shingles started curling up and within a couple of mths, were getting worse. we knew the shingles were too old (not sure how old) - mom's house actually. so we got new shingles put up. you might want to ask a roofer to come and give a free quote for a new roof. some will have a ladder and climb up to get a better look and others just do the quote from ground level.

we only got 25 yr shingles and the roofer told us to start thinking of replacement around the 21 or 22 year mark -unless of course we notice problems before then.
May 15, 2004
297 posts
12 upvotes
I got a quote last week, which only includes 1 meter of felt along the edge of the whole roof. Ice and water shield around my skylight only.
My question: is it necessary to put felt on the whole roof, and ice/water shield along the edge of the roof? or is what the roofer is doing is sufficient (ie. 1m felt and no ice/water shield), in terms of protection and longevity of the roof job....

thanks.
Feb 20, 2008
128 posts
52 upvotes
Felt all over the roof. Ice and water shield along the edge, up the roof two feet past the wall edge.Ideally ice and water shield around any protrusions(chimney, plumbing stack, skylights, etc.)

Will cost more, but all depends on your preference/time staying/etc.
May 15, 2004
297 posts
12 upvotes
tinmack wrote:
Jul 29th, 2009 8:04 pm
Felt all over the roof. Ice and water shield along the edge, up the roof two feet past the wall edge.Ideally ice and water shield around any protrusions(chimney, plumbing stack, skylights, etc.)

Will cost more, but all depends on your preference/time staying/etc.
Thanks for the advice!
Jul 29, 2009
2 posts
Windsor
When I had to have 2 shingles replaced a major roofer warned us "Oh Yes, you have the Renaissance shingles............you are going to have problems soon!"

What a can of worms! Several roofers gave me the identical dire assessment, as well as the Renaissance supplier. Just about every neighbour who has these IKO shingles was furious. These '25 year' shingles were lasting only 5 to 10years.

Hey...IKO has since quit producing the Renaissance shingles. According to reports by roofers and home owners......IKO is fighting all claims by home owners fiercely. That's dirty.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3251 posts
234 upvotes
West Side GTA
looking for reliable roofers that RFD users have used for a ~4000 sq ft home. it's ~20 yrs now and the roof needs to be done :(

Any RFDers out there that have recommendations for mississauga?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4184 posts
280 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Contact Contex Roofing, ask specifically for Peter to come and do an estimate for you.

877-768-2786

Make sure when you see him to say that Greg referred you.

Contex Roofing has been in business doing it right since 1939.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Aug 13, 2007
92 posts
8 upvotes
Hello people.

So my neighbors tree ... which is on city property, is rotting the shingles/roof where the branches hang above my home. It's clear to see the problem is from the tree.

Now - do I approach the neighbor or the city regarding this? Other than trimming back the tree - will the city cover any of the expenses of repairing the roof?

I was planning on first approaching my neighbor and explaining the situation and then approaching the city.

Anyone deal with this before?

Also - which type of reasonably priced shingle would be the best to replace it with?

Thanks

D
May 31, 2006
126 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Hello all,

I just gave Alpine Roofing the go ahead to strip and re-shingle our roof for 7500. Unfortunately I have read a lot of negative reviews about the CRC Biltmore shingles they use. Does anyone have any opinions about these specific shingles.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11203 posts
1421 upvotes
anml wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2009 12:25 pm
...So my neighbors tree ... which is on city property, is rotting the shingles/roof where the branches hang above my home. It's clear to see the problem is from the tree....
I think you are responsible to trim back the tree for the portion where it goes over your property. The neighbor or city couldn't come onto your property to trim back their tree unless you gave them permission.
Sep 26, 2007
29 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Great thread! I just signed up for a roof job with a company that has beed doing practically my entire street. The company is TS Roofing Construction Company. I had previously got a quote for $4700 from a company called L & M Roofing. These guys from TS offered to do it for $3600 (25yr) or $3900 (30yr, the one with the nicer texture). They also gave a 10year workmanship warranty. I really need to get my roof done and this price was too good to pass up.

However, they are using CRC shingles which is the same company as IKO. After reading this thread and all the bad reviews about IKO, I'm a little concerned and wondering if I should cancel with these guys and go with Alpine or Avenue roofing. I'm sure their price will be over $5000 though according to what I read in this thread. My house is 2500 sq feet.
May 31, 2006
126 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Hey Brawas .. just to let you know I went with Alpine and they only use IKO or CRC shingles as well. I had a similar concern but Alpine guy convinced me it wasnt worth paying the 33% premium to go with Avenue. Hope I dont regret it but
× < >