Off Topic

Roomba Knockoffs / off brand robot vacuums - would you buy one?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2013 8:25 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 10, 2007
7 posts
1 upvote

Roomba Knockoffs / off brand robot vacuums - would you buy one?

I would love a roomba/robot vacuum, but the price is just way too high, the cheapest I've seen them for (new) is like $300-$350 which I think is close to outrageous. At maybe $250 I would be interested in buying it even if it was off-brand.

They definitely exist online on eBay and Amazon, but find they are difficult to find in retailers. Any particular reason why this is the case? The tech behind a roomba surely has been copied by now.

What do you guys think? Off-brand roomba? Buy online, an OK idea?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5385 posts
102 upvotes
Warranty and support are the two big things when buying stuff like this.
If you're okay with fixing it yourself, then get it wherever's the cheapest.
AcidBomber wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 8:09 pm
Warning to all (trolls) - next person to post any flamebaits (religious, sexist, racial, etc) gets an automatic ban.
[OP]
Jun 10, 2007
7 posts
1 upvote
sylpherware wrote:
Jul 27th, 2013 2:59 am
Warranty and support are the two big things when buying stuff like this.
If you're okay with fixing it yourself, then get it wherever's the cheapest.
What if the warranty is the same 1 yr? and is provided by canadian or american?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17211 posts
1483 upvotes
Poormond Hill
My friend had one of those roombas and she found it was quicker for her to vacuum it herself than the robot.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8013 posts
1192 upvotes
London
These things sounds more like annoying toys than serious devices. Give me a call when Rosie is ready, and maybe then I'll change my mind.

Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
3517 posts
2016 upvotes
I've owned a Roomba or 7 years and I like it. It vacuums every day, and by me emptying the Roomba every day, I can see how much dust it picks up. I don't have the time to vacuum everyday, this is better than just vacuuming on weekends. Also, it goes under the bed / crib, which is a plus. I think it's a good investment.

There are several brands / options on the market nowadays, incluing kits for you to mod your Roomba or make your own.

Check more at http://www.robotshop.com/robot-vacuums.html

Rod
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm not sold on the idea of a Roomba. Even less so on a knockoff of it.
Cant imagine it havi g enough power or capacity where pets are involved.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Jul 27th, 2013 7:04 am
My friend had one of those roombas and she found it was quicker for her to vacuum it herself than the robot.
I don't think the robot is supposed to be faster... it's just supposed to clean up all day so you never have to do it yourself. I don't think you're supposed to just turn it on when you want the floor to be vacuumed.
[OP]
Jun 10, 2007
7 posts
1 upvote
mbg wrote:
Jul 27th, 2013 12:34 pm
I don't think the robot is supposed to be faster... it's just supposed to clean up all day so you never have to do it yourself. I don't think you're supposed to just turn it on when you want the floor to be vacuumed.
My intention is to have the robot timed to clean my apartment say during the day when I'm at work, and I arrive to a nice, clean, pet hair free floor. Who cares if the robot takes twice as long to do the cleaning, I don't actually have to clean, which the point of it. My time is valuable (at least I like to think so), so lets get a robot slave to work we don't want to do for us...

But back to the original question - I'm not sure spending $350-$450 on a robot that can be had for like $200 and probably does the same job as a branded roomba. Where does one get the knockoff? and has anyone had any experience with them?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17211 posts
1483 upvotes
Poormond Hill
mbg wrote:
Jul 27th, 2013 12:34 pm
My friend hates leaving stuff on. Unless it's the refrigerater, nothing stays on. She won't even leave batteries to charge when she's not home. Just the thought of something going wrong gives her nightmares.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Jul 28th, 2013 7:46 am
My friend hates leaving stuff on. Unless it's the refrigerater, nothing stays on. She won't even leave batteries to charge when she's not home. Just the thought of something going wrong gives her nightmares.
It's probably a good idea... but, in that case, an robotic vacuum cleaner (or lawn mower) is not a good idea for her... and nor is a natural gas furnace.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17211 posts
1483 upvotes
Poormond Hill
The gas furnace, she has no choice.
× < >