• Sep 20th, 2006 11:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1663 posts
5 upvotes

Roots lost its soul?

So i walked into Roots today, and after taking a look at some clothes, i started to look at the price tag, and they were a little high (but then i again, i always thing clothes are too expensive)

then i remembered, o right, they're expensive cuz they're supposedly a strong beliver of canadian-made products, which means higher price for labour, so that's why the price tags are much bigger

but then wait a minute, i looked at the tag, it says made in china, surely i must be mistaken, but i check 3 more differently articles of clothing, all of them were made in china

has Roots lost its roots?
Have they slowly become a company that takes advantage of cheap labour to maximise profit?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
Yeah they started making products in China long ago...the Toronto factory closed in the mid 90s I think. THey say they have strict policies that ensure fair labour for their clothes made in China but I don't know...
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1663 posts
5 upvotes
yet they still charge so much for clothing...or is it just me thinking all clothes are expensive again

are roots considered cheap? well-priced? overpriced?
Dec 30, 2005
958 posts
15 upvotes
PlayerOne wrote:yet they still charge so much for clothing...or is it just me thinking all clothes are expensive again

are roots considered cheap? well-priced? overpriced?
Overpriced imo. Never was a big fan though, even back when the brand was uber-popular and Canadian-made.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
Overpriced...and they seem to be in an identity crisis of not knowing where to take their brand - upscale fashion house or grassroots sweats and jeans.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1663 posts
5 upvotes
Anessa wrote:Overpriced...and they seem to be in an identity crisis of not knowing where to take their brand - upscale fashion house or grassroots sweats and jeans.
i don't think they'd be a very good upscale place, roots just doesn't sound very up-scale-y, can't picture roots coming out with clothes like club monaco or banana

they should go sweats and jeans and lower their prices
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1769 posts
190 upvotes
I think Roots lost their popularity in Canada when they started to make Roots' American Olympic outfit.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
My mom used to work in a factory that made roots clothes around 1996, then she got laid off.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3560 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
i bought a [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=218]zip[/rfdlink] up hoody from roots maybe 5 yrs ago, the hoody is hella comfy, and it says made in canada, but i do remember paying 80 for it
now i see roots hoodies that are price @ 100.
if it was made in canada i would say its ok, but its not anymore.

as for their designs, i think they're going in the right direction at least for me, in the summer they had all this camo gear for camping season and i just wasn't into that look
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
4103 posts
362 upvotes
what, the sweatshops in Toronto aren't up snuff?
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Nov 30, 2002
515 posts
17 upvotes
I agree, their clothes stink. Same goes for Eddie Bauer....their clothes look like their made for senior citizens. lol
Aug 6, 2005
490 posts
Umm yeah. Roots is American-owned. Old news.

-Mems
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1386 posts
13 upvotes
another bad vote for roots! It's the brand that parents buy to give to their kids becuase they're so regular.... 0 points for style
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
If you're up for some investigative reporting, in Toronto there are a good number of sweatshops just off the streets along Dufferin St and also Finch Av West. I mean like serious sweatshops with the $5/hr, everyone in a single cramped room, no air conditioning and illegal immigrants working. It's always been suspected that Chinatown downtown and around the fashion district houses a few as well.
ephemera wrote:what, the sweatshops in Toronto aren't up snuff?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
To me Roots lost it when they started selling cheap lunchbags at Access and those luggage stores in the malls.

Also, what makes them look bad is that they sell Roots notebooks and pencil cases at Wallmart. To me that does not say high end at all.

I heard they still make a few of their leather bags in TO-the higher end ones maybe? thats what a salesperson told me. I'm not too sure though.

I think Roots is one of those companies that will always be around so ppl can buy their clothes and say they "fit in".

As for Eddie Bauer, their market is more middle aged americans who have more $.
if you look at the fit of their clothing, it is more "modest" and sized for "older" people.

I would also not pay $12 for plain white socks from there..that are also made in China...
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Celebs visiting Toronto seem to love the Roots in Yorkville. I was there a few weeks ago when Ashton Kutcher had the store closed down so he could shop in peace.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
Maybe it's not found in America so they like to TRY to be exclusive in Tinseltown. I know when I'm abroad I like to pick up domestic brands so when I come back to my own country I'm that unique :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)