Computers & Electronics

Router port forwarding, can two devices share the same external ports?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2010 1:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4438 posts
255 upvotes

Router port forwarding, can two devices share the same external ports?

upcoming holidays family member is bringing over another PS3 to the house and I have Call of Duty Black Ops set for port forwards to my IP address could I basically copy the external ports but also assign them for his PS3 internal ip address?
4 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9449 posts
883 upvotes
no :facepalm:
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4438 posts
255 upvotes
sexyj wrote:
Dec 20th, 2010 11:59 am
no :facepalm:

lol alright

so what happens then when multiple Xbox 360s are behind a router and need to access the same ports to play online?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
This is possible (with XBOXen at least, and likely with PS3s). What seems to be key is the router that you're using. So long as your router has proper UPNP capabilities, and can assign static DHCP addresses, it should be possible to get multiple consoles online at the same time. You'll have to stop manually port forwarding as well and let the router handle the port assignments. Routers with DD-WRT or Tomato will work and possibly other decent routers should work.

So, try disabling manual port-forwards to the PS3, assign static DHCP addresses for each console (i.e. alway assign PS3 with this MAC address this IP address), and enable UPNP on the router. Reboot the router and the consoles.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
3682 posts
98 upvotes
Two devices cannot share the same incoming port simultaneously. That port can only be forwarded to one address at a time.

With that said, you can look into your router and see if "Port Triggering" will help you at least allow both ps3's to use the external port at different times without having to actually log in and change a port forward/map every time you want that to happen...
× < >