Home & Garden

Roxul or Pink Insulation?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2010 11:31 am
Jan 8, 2005
12 posts

Roxul or Pink Insulation?

I am building a new house, and i am wondering if anybody have any suggestions for insulation. i want good soundproofing.. and good quality
[DivxAnime.net] WATCH ANIME 10,000+ EPISODES FOR FREE
[Gadgetcravings.com]Cool Toys and Gadget News.
[Hyperwallpaper.com]THOUSANDS of free desktop Backgrounds.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
are those the only choices? if so...Roxul...for sure...but it's pretty expensive..
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24621 posts
2351 upvotes
Ottawa
Soundproofing where?
I have Roxul downstairs (in areas I renovated) and normal insulation upstairs. For insulating qualities I find them the same. For soundproofing, well, I can't tell any difference. Roxul is more expensive so I felt it was a waste of money.
If you are getting a house built, I suggest you ask the builder to insulate (with either) the bathroom walls all the way around. It helps, nothing worse than hearing someone at 2 AM. It is a little thing, but worth it. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2006
4524 posts
771 upvotes
Whatever one you choose, proper installation of the insulation goes a long way in how each will perform...
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
1953 posts
569 upvotes
Saint-Bruno
-double gypsum
-use 5/8" instead of 1/2"
Nov 18, 2006
368 posts
22 upvotes
If mice are a concern then Roxul is supposed to be better as a deterrent to them. That said, I've noticed some chewing through the Roxul I put in last year in my addition. The pink in the original part of the home is rife with mice tunnels so it's hard to say if the Roxul is really deterring the mice or if instead the pink just has 15 years of accumulated invasions and tunnels.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
59 upvotes
Ontario
IoannI wrote:
Dec 15th, 2008 12:12 am
My uncle put to Roxul at his place in between the basement and main floor floor joist. He bought it, I put it for him. He wanted it mainly for soundproofing, as he is planning on renting the place out. Not much of a differnce in terms of the house being sound proof. If someone goes to the bathroom I still can hear them taking a crap. He thought it would make it absoloutely soundproof, well it didnt. If you want something that is a bit soundproof and fire retardent then go with Roxul if not then go with the Pink/White stuff.
Did you just use the thermal insulation or was it Safe n Sound? I used the Safe n Sound in my bedrooms and washroom, and it's a huge difference. It's actually a little annoying as you cannot talk to another person without really yelling or - horror of all horrors - get up and walk to them.
Nov 24, 2002
890 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
There are better reasons to use Roxul over pink:

- easier to work with (for DIY'ers)
- fire proof (I've seen a blow torch running for 5 hours against this stuff at the home depot, and nothing happen to it)
- mold/water resistant (really important in basements)
- a bit better R value than pink for the same thickness
- it's made from recycled materials! Better for the environment

The only negative thing for Roxul is price.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
24 upvotes
I assume we're talking about Safe n' Sound here and not just the thermal Roxul stuff? Because regular thermal Roxul is actually the same price or cheaper than pink insulation (at least out here in BC, comparing 2x4 16" OC R-14 by sqft).

I think we need to make a distinction between the regular stuff and Safe n' Sound when talking about Roxul because it's not all the same (although I do find regular Roxul easier to work with than pink).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
59 upvotes
Ontario
WalnutCrunch wrote:
Dec 15th, 2008 11:39 am
I assume we're talking about Safe n' Sound here and not just the thermal Roxul stuff? Because regular thermal Roxul is actually the same price or cheaper than pink insulation (at least out here in BC, comparing 2x4 16" OC R-14 by sqft).

I think we need to make a distinction between the regular stuff and Safe n' Sound when talking about Roxul because it's not all the same (although I do find regular Roxul easier to work with than pink).
That's what I thought too. I remember paying less for R14 of Roxul than my R20 of pink stuff, both for 16" OC.
Apr 29, 2007
206 posts
1 upvote
According to Mike Holmes, the regular Roxul thermal insulation is as good as the fiberglass at insulating. However, he says it is easier to work with. I assume it is less itchy to handle.
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
being a brand new build, find out how much it is to use spray foam insulation instead.. it may pay for itself over time.
for do it yourself, roxull all the way, much easier to deal with and a lot less itchy

As for safe and sound, well, in the floor joists it did near nothing in my old house, as I could still hear my brother walking about downstairs, like he was in the room next to us :(
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1338 posts
12 upvotes
sunjwd wrote:
Dec 15th, 2008 12:34 pm
According to Mike Holmes, the regular Roxul thermal insulation is as good as the fiberglass at insulating. However, he says it is easier to work with. I assume it is less itchy to handle.
Roxul does not provide quite the same R value per inch as pink. I wouldn't say it's easier to work with but less uncomfortable. Sure it doesn't have the itch factor, but it has one drawback in that it tears easily and if your trying to fit it into studs less than 16" between centers , it basically cant be done. The edge of Pink can be cut not Roxul.
× < >