Expired Hot Deals

[Royal Bank] Get 30% more Avios when you convert your RBC Rewards points. (Exp Dec 31st 2018)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2018 1:56 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2006
374 posts
162 upvotes
Canada

[Royal Bank] Get 30% more Avios when you convert your RBC Rewards points. (Exp Dec 31st 2018)

https://www.rbcrewards.com/#!/whats-new ... banovbonus

Get 30% more Avios when you convert your RBC Rewards points. Offer starts November 1, 2018 at 12:00 am PST and ends December 31, 2018 at 11:59 pm PST.

Minimum 10k transfer.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
2670 posts
672 upvotes
Vancouver
Should I convert to Avios or WJD? I fly both equally, so not sure which is a better offer
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1740 posts
1193 upvotes
If it helps you decide, I generally convert my RBC points to WJD since they're the only program I have that converts to WJD. I'll transfer Amex MR points to Avios (also has 30% bonus at times) or Aeroplan depending on which trips I'm planning to take.
Sep 26, 2017
4 posts
2 upvotes
amex also has the 30% on right now, although it expires sooner. Combined with the WJ mastercard with travel companion pass, I think there is more value there if you fly 2 people. Since I mostly fly alone, Avios will be better for me.
Aug 21, 2011
775 posts
430 upvotes
Whitby
13inches wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 10:45 am
If it helps you decide, I generally convert my RBC points to WJD since they're the only program I have that converts to WJD. I'll transfer Amex MR points to Avios (also has 30% bonus at times) or Aeroplan depending on which trips I'm planning to take.
I am not a WJ rewards member, but thinking of signing up so I could convert Avion to WestJet. Do you know how many WestJet rewards point is one dollar value? I have around 4500 avion points, so trying to assess how much WJD I would get. TIA.
Koodo Mobile | Stack | Lyft | Instagram
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1071 posts
359 upvotes
How is this in terms of value per points? Is there a better way of spending betters to get the most value?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1740 posts
1193 upvotes
WJ doesn't use points, it uses dollars. One WestJet Dollar is equal to $1 off the price of your flight.
Aug 21, 2011
775 posts
430 upvotes
Whitby
13inches wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 3:20 pm
WJ doesn't use points, it uses dollars. One WestJet Dollar is equal to $1 off the price of your flight.
In that case I wonder how the RBC points will get converted to WJD. Since you have converted in the past, can you please let us know? Is it 1:1, I highly doubt because RBC points are in 1000s..

Edit: NVM, found what I wanted. For every 100 RBC Rewards points which are converted, you will receive 1.1 WestJet dollars. Promotional bonus WestJet dollars expire one year from date of issue.
Koodo Mobile | Stack | Lyft | Instagram
Nov 7, 2018
34 posts
86 upvotes
YZD
Dante19 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 4:38 pm
How is this in terms of value per points? Is there a better way of spending betters to get the most value?
You typically can get some very good value from Avios with their distance based chart, particularly on airlines such as American and Latam who dont charge carrier surcharges. I recently booked YYZ-DAL in 20,000 Avios, which I transferred from Avion with the bonus, meaning I spent just over 15,000 Avion on a route that Aeroplan would charge 25,000 miles on plus I was able to avoid those horrific carrier surcharges. A steal in my opinion as I got over 3 cpp on my avion points.

There is also great value in going from Montreal to Dublin in 20,000 Avios RT off-peek with Aer Lingus as it just fits into the 2001-3000 mile distance. 20,000 points is pretty great for a trans-Atlantic flight! Taxes and surcharges should also be minimal!
Dec 19, 2007
242 posts
33 upvotes
shayaanpoints wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:50 pm
You typically can get some very good value from Avios with their distance based chart, particularly on airlines such as American and Latam who dont charge carrier surcharges. I recently booked YYZ-DAL in 20,000 Avios, which I transferred from Avion with the bonus, meaning I spent just over 15,000 Avion on a route that Aeroplan would charge 25,000 miles on plus I was able to avoid those horrific carrier surcharges. A steal in my opinion as I got over 3 cpp on my avion points.

There is also great value in going from Montreal to Dublin in 20,000 Avios RT off-peek with Aer Lingus as it just fits into the 2001-3000 mile distance. 20,000 points is pretty great for a trans-Atlantic flight! Taxes and surcharges should also be minimal!
Do you have any suggestions on how to find flights? I've been sitting on a ton of Avios points forever and I have the hardest time finding any kind of decent flights and reward seats (also flying out of YYZ). I've tried looking into flights to the US, Asia etc. Should I be using the BA flight tool for partner flights? How far out should I be searching? It's a major pain in the ass searching day by day, week by week to see if there's any reward seats.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3489 posts
285 upvotes
Thanked. Just found this thread and perfect timing as I just got my signup point from the recent 25K RBC avion deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1528 posts
491 upvotes
Does anyone know what the options are when I cancel my card? My one year promo is almost up and I have 950 points left. I have no other RBC card, is there an expiry date for the points? I've read about transfering them to british airways but I don't see me flying with them anytime soon.
Any insight?
Alex
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7014 posts
272 upvotes
Port Moody
sherman51 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 11:59 am
Does anyone know what the options are when I cancel my card? My one year promo is almost up and I have 950 points left. I have no other RBC card, is there an expiry date for the points? I've read about transfering them to british airways but I don't see me flying with them anytime soon.
Any insight?
I asked RBC this I believe it is 6mths and then your avion points will cancel, 950 avion reward points is not doing much, 3000 is worth $25 if memory serves correct
Dec 9, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
Frequent flyer points aren't usually just valid for the one airline. You can usually book award space for anyone in the airline's alliance. So BA is part of One World, meaning you can book with American, LATAM, or a bunch of others.