Hot Deals

[Royal Bank] RBC Avion Visa Infinite 35k welcome points (no min spend, no FYF)

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2020 8:09 am
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 13, 2019
69 posts
113 upvotes

[Royal Bank] RBC Avion Visa Infinite 35k welcome points (no min spend, no FYF)

For those that missed the Boxing Week deal for the Avion, this is basically the same thing. Instead of 25k with min 1k spend and FYF, it's 35k with no min spend and no FYF. The extra 10k points just about covers the $120 annual fee.

Deal link: https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-car ... =rbc_avion

Can also be found by simply googling "avion visa get 35k welcome points"

Image

**First time making a thread so hopefully everything is done correct!
97 replies
Sr. Member
Jun 11, 2016
546 posts
748 upvotes
Thanks OP!
Some will downvote this b/c the first year isn't waved..however your contribution is appreciated!
and +1
Newbie
Jul 25, 2011
47 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
I think this is a great especially if you are considering getting an Apple Watch from RBC at 25% off.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 13, 2019
69 posts
113 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: Thanks OP!
Some will downvote this b/c the first year isn't waved..however your contribution is appreciated!
and +1

Getting 35k and paying $120 is basically the same as the last promo, getting 25k points with FYF... sure you have to shell out $120 upfront, but the net result is almost the same and it's arguably better than needing to meet the 1k min spend from the last promo. If someone wants to downvote because of that, oh well nothing I can do lol
Sr. Member
Nov 8, 2011
551 posts
177 upvotes
NEPEAN
bigtuna99 wrote: Getting 35k and paying $120 is basically the same as the last promo, getting 25k points with FYF... sure you have to shell out $120 upfront, but the net result is almost the same and it's arguably better than needing to meet the 1k min spend from the last promo. If someone wants to downvote because of that, oh well nothing I can do lol
Well, one costs you $120 out of pocket, the other costs you $0 out of pocket (assuming you pay for things with a credit card anyways).

Good deal here (I got the Boxing Day deal). I think that 25k + 10k with 1k min spend + FYF is a bit better because it costs nothing out off pocket. This deal gets you 35k points, but costs you $120. Spending $1000 on my card is easy and if it wasn't on this card, it would be on another.
Newbie
Jan 19, 2014
18 posts
31 upvotes
From reddit thread, this could be worth one of the below:
-2 flights to an adjacent province or territory (15k per person), up to $350 max ticket price
-1 flight to anywhere in NA except Hawaii/Alaska (35k), up to $750 max ticket price
-Convert 1:1 Avios
-Convert 100:1 Westjet dollars
-Westjet, Air Canada or hotels.com gift cards, with occasional bonuses to conversion

So this should be worth $350 at least, potentially up to $750. Minus the $120 AF = $230-630 profit.

Also, note that there is a restriction in the fine print that says you can't have any of RBC's fancier cards other than the Westjet card right now to qualify for the bonus points:
Additional cardholder(s), as well as existing RBC Avion Visa Infinite or RBC Avion Visa Platinum, Cathay Pacific‡ Visa Platinum, British Airways‡ Visa Infinite, RBC Rewards Visa Preferred, RBC Rewards+ Visa, RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege and RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege for Private Banking cardholders, applying for or transferring to an RBC Avion Visa Infinite card or RBC Avion Visa Platinum as of the offer eligibility period, are not eligible for this offer.
Last edited by timmyboy4 on Jan 24th, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Jan 13, 2017
573 posts
198 upvotes
Hmm...I applied for this Avion card in December and got denied, since I received the WestJet card in November. They said the system flagged me cuz I applied a few weeks back with WSJ. I wonder if I apply in February will I get denied again with a credit hit?...hmmm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 5, 2006
3374 posts
621 upvotes
GTA
Dragonrana2 wrote: Hmm...I applied for this Avion card in December and got denied, since I received the WestJet card in November. They said the system flagged me cuz I applied a few weeks back with WSJ. I wonder if I apply in February will I get denied again with a credit hit?...hmmm
A good rule of thumb for RBC is 90 days between applications.
Sr. Member
Jan 13, 2017
573 posts
198 upvotes
jaszy wrote: A good rule of thumb for RBC is 90 days between applications.
So when I applied in December and got rejected for the Avion....I guess I am out of luck with this promo? Or will they not count that, and will be based on my WSJ application in November?
Jr. Member
Jul 14, 2014
115 posts
300 upvotes
Markham
Isn’t it eligible for a fee waiver under certain checking accounts?
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 13, 2019
69 posts
113 upvotes
nickwa wrote: Well, one costs you $120 out of pocket, the other costs you $0 out of pocket (assuming you pay for things with a credit card anyways).

Good deal here (I got the Boxing Day deal). I think that 25k + 10k with 1k min spend + FYF is a bit better because it costs nothing out off pocket. This deal gets you 35k points, but costs you $120. Spending $1000 on my card is easy and if it wasn't on this card, it would be on another.

Oh I definitely agree but I think it depends on the person. If someone doesn't spend much then meeting the 1k min spend might not be easy and the $120 upfront might be preferred; for other people the 1k spend might be just a few weeks worth of regular purchases.

Also worth adding to your point about "if it wasn't on this card, it would be on another"... the 1k spend on a card with better cash back (grocery/gas perks) could be preferred vs. forcing 1k spend on the Avion. Again just depends on the person and their spending habits and their other CC's... I still think overall the two promos for the Avion are 'basically' the same (given the variables previously mentioned)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1353 posts
871 upvotes
Dragonrana2 wrote: Hmm...I applied for this Avion card in December and got denied, since I received the WestJet card in November. They said the system flagged me cuz I applied a few weeks back with WSJ. I wonder if I apply in February will I get denied again with a credit hit?...hmmm
Funny thing, I had a similar issue I think... ended up just doing a PS into the Avion from my WJWE to at least score the 15k points with no hit.
Newbie
Feb 24, 2015
90 posts
29 upvotes
nova scotia
not a bad deal but still prefer my credit cards for free with sign up bonus , fig im spending money on card for pts anyway , i just chum cards when i can ,still if ur looking to fly or buy something with 35000 pts not to bad.
Sr. Member
Nov 21, 2008
661 posts
120 upvotes
FYI - RBC has a policy where if you are switching from a competitor, they will waive the first year fee.

I called them and had them confirm this to me (so I could write a reference to the call) and was instructed to apply online and call in once the card is activated to have the fee withdrawn.

So in effect, this promotion enables one to receive 35,000 points without any minimum spend and no annual fee.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1467 posts
585 upvotes
so PS to this card should yield 35k?

Top