• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2018 2:04 pm
[OP]
Oct 27, 2009
133 posts
228 upvotes
Montreal

[Royal Bank] RBC IPAD (2018) OFFER

There was another thread opened about this offer but it racked many pages of negative comments as many details were omitted by the OP. I figured it would be better to open another thread.

Guidelines :
Who qualifies:
• New and existing clients
without PBA who open
an SNL or VIP
• Clients must add a Payroll Deposit
OR 2 Pre-authorized Payments
OR *NEW* 1 recurring
RBC Mortgage payment.
• Client must be OLB enrolled to
receive the iPad.

You must be a new client OR a current client that does not have a CHECKING account, savings accounts are fine. Also, current clients with other products such as a mortgage or a credit but does not have a checking account will qualify. I have attached a picture but can't be sure it respects all RFD rules ( sorry!).

I believe this offer is better than most bank offers this season ( 300 $ cashback etc).

CHEERS!!
Images
  • RBC.jpg
Last edited by RFDSimon on May 26th, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link
Financial and Debt Advisor
1265 replies
[OP]
Oct 27, 2009
133 posts
228 upvotes
Montreal
SNL account info : https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/accounts/s ... nking.html

VIP : https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/accounts/vip-banking.html

Unlike TD and the like, there are no ways for you to waive the monthly fees by leaving a minimum deposit. My suggestion would be to go for the SNL, order the checkbook (free) and convert into a basic account once the required term as been completed.

Rule : Eligible Personal Banking Account must remain open and in good standing, and the Qualifying Criteria the client performed to get the Reward (such as payroll/pension deposit or pre-authorized payment) must remain in effect until September 27 2019.
Financial and Debt Advisor
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1030 posts
482 upvotes
So it is the 2018 model. Nice.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1048 posts
413 upvotes
Upvoted, since this one actually has infos !
May 1, 2018
407 posts
206 upvotes
Vancouver
So only a Personal Bank Account works? Or Signature No limit or VIP??

I can't just sign up for the day to day banking option as I would be a new RBC client anyways.. just want to avoid those high monthly fees as much as possible
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4666 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
Chequing*
Last edited by yesstyle on May 26th, 2018 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 22, 2012
336 posts
499 upvotes
@MTLGuru
On the image you posted, it also mentions the RBC Infinite Avion with 30K points and FYF. How does one get that offer?
Aug 26, 2011
64 posts
22 upvotes
Calgary
i really wanted a ipad too

any mathematicians on RFD that can calculate the costs of the ipad overtime for a SNL account
Mar 28, 2011
472 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
Too many acronyms so we should explain it

Best and easiest way to do this is sign up for signature no limit cheque account (SNL) at $14.95, switch over 2 Pre authorized payment bills (PAP), and enroll for online banking (OLB)

Timing to minimize cost is to sign up in late August and pay up to 15 months of SNL fee at $14.95 each month for total fee of $225 (no tax) for the new ipad 32gb vs retail $429+tax in your province

So Ontario resident would save approx $260

I don’t know if this is better than the $300 cash offering from other banks for signing up (especially if you can waive monthly fees)

This might be better if you are a senior and can get the SNL fee down to $11 a month, then you come out slightly ahead of the $300 cash offerings from other banks

Edit: if you can get the infinite Avion with the 30k points and first year free (FYF) then this is worth it.
30k can be worth up to $700 for 2 short flights or you can redeem for merchandise or swap the points to another program

Edit2: seems like you can combine this offer with the free infinite Avion, so yes this is worth it now.

The above edits were May 26

Edit3 as of Aug 25: I got the SNL and infinite Avion with 30k bonus and FYF, just showed the advisor the poster in the first post by OP and he was able to find it and confirm the details. I don’t know if he did anything special but just processed both SNL and I was pre approved for all versions of the credir cards but he picked infinite Avion per the poster.

Monthly fee is also prorated so I’ll pay for remaining days of Aug and then stay 13months and cancel on Sept 30 2019

iPad ordering link comes 2 business days after you complete either the 1Payroll Deposit or 2PAP

Edit4: As of Sept 2 just after midnight I received an email from RBC “ibanking” that I can order my iPad. I had my Payroll Deposit on Aug 31 so I guess it’s just 2 general days and not business days. I also had 2 PAP setup for next few weeks but I’m going to revert both back to my primary bank since my small Payroll amount did the trick.
I did $15 payroll deposit each month to cover the fees until Sept 2019 :) cause they didn’t say how much of my payroll I need to deposit.

Will update again when my iPad arrives.

Here’s the email message for the iPad selection.
Congratulations! You have qualified for the RBC Royal Bank Personal Banking Promotion and can now select the offer of your complimentary Apple iPad 32GB.

In order to make your selection, please sign in to RBC Online Banking^ and look for a message in your Message Centre with the subject "Congratulations! Your RBC Royal Bank Personal Banking Offer is ready."

To find your Message Centre, please click on the Messages tab near the top of the Account Summary Page. Your message will be waiting with instructions on how to redeem for your offer.
Edit 5:Just got my iPad today Sept 18 after being able to place the online order on Sept 2, so 16 days in total from China to my place...seems some got theirs faster than my timelines but my tracking seemed to show a lot of customs clearance (3x, in China, in USA, in Toronto)

It seems upon power up it was already pre configured that you just need to enter your WiFi settings to activate and start using, was already updated to iOS 11.4.1 so I’ll just keep it there for now and play with iOS 12 later

There is an English and French folder with links and a shortcut to the RBC mobile app in the tray.

Just to make sure nothing else was installed I did a erase all settings to start fresh and go through the usual setup of passcodes, Siri, Apple ID etc...I suggest everyone else do the same because we don’t know what else was preinstalled since the initial setup from RBC missed a lot of the normal setup as new iPad process

Also my first Avion statement closed yesterday and posted today and I had received the 30k bonus as well so overall this was a good deal (woulda been slightly better if I waited a few more days and found out the Oct deadline instead and saved more monthly fees
Images
  • 3E46F748-006B-4887-9582-64FBE76EA72B.jpeg
Last edited by BoredAtWork on Sep 18th, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jan 23, 2017
878 posts
688 upvotes
Calgary
What's with all the acronyms.. Not you OP, I recognize you got them from the ad.

That's really annoying to read/decipher.

OLB = Online Banking, I assume for example.
PBA = Personal Bank Account

Probably because it's an internal memo.
Apr 4, 2017
658 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Is there monthly fee to have account open? Voided?
Do I need to sign up credit card?

What about scotia bank offer? $300 for just opening checking account.
Apr 9, 2009
417 posts
360 upvotes
Calgary
When do you get the iPad? Right away or after you finish the term?
Jul 20, 2016
779 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
I kinda feel bad for the other thread's OP, but I guess that's the difference a good thread makes over a bad one. Same deal, but way better presented...

now I kinda want an iPad, what would be the monthly costs on that? Is it worthy to open just for it? I don't really need a new bank
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!