Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Royal Bank

RBC IPAD (2018) OFFER

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 1:17 am
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
2143 posts
2602 upvotes
Toronto
ovaltene wrote: Getting close to closing date. IIRC from earlier in the thread it was September 27 right? So, can we safely close the account on the 28th and avoid the October monthly account fee?
Yes Sept 28 is the day to close it
I also swapped my Avion to rewards+ no fee visa and used up my 30k in $300 amazon gift cards
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
2448 posts
1281 upvotes
Guys, it's almost time to cancel the account.
From first page "Monthly fee is also prorated so I’ll pay for remaining days of Aug and then stay 13months and cancel on Sept 30 2019"

Account open: Aug 6th
Partial account fee: Aug 6 to 14th $4.xx
iPad Offer email: Aug 26th

Is my 13 months going to be Aug 6? Or the day I got my iPad offer email which is Aug 26th? Or 28th?
Sep 9, 2019
334 posts
190 upvotes
Hi! If we close the account on the 28th, and we transfer out the money before then, would they still charge us the monthly fee (mine is in the first few days of the month so early Oct)?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
dealpool wrote: Hi! If we close the account on the 28th, and we transfer out the money before then, would they still charge us the monthly fee (mine is in the first few days of the month so early Oct)?
Good q, I’m sure they’ll prorate the charge as that’s what was done during sign up. Does that mean we have to go into a branch to cancel, I really want to avoid that, if possible.

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/onlinebank ... ccounts/#9
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
dealpool wrote: Yeah I'm hoping some RFDer would know the question to this!
I plan to cash out on the 28th, then send a secure message to close my account. If they say I need to pay any fees, I'll e-transfer the cash in, then retry.
Sep 9, 2019
334 posts
190 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: I plan to cash out on the 28th, then send a secure message to close my account. If they say I need to pay any fees, I'll e-transfer the cash in, then retry.
I was planning to try the secure message too! Let's see if they say anything about the fees m... Good luck!
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
2448 posts
1281 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: Good q, I’m sure they’ll prorate the charge as that’s what was done during sign up. Does that mean we have to go into a branch to cancel, I really want to avoid that, if possible.

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/onlinebank ... ccounts/#9
My monthly charge was prorated. I am guessing it's the same when we close the account.
I don't need an appointment right? I just need to go to the teller.
Sep 9, 2019
334 posts
190 upvotes
story wrote: My monthly charge was prorated. I am guessing it's the same when we close the account.
I don't need an appointment right? I just need to go to the teller.
You can also close your account by sending a secure message, but balance has to be zero first. That's why we have the question if we close it online, how will the fees be charged.
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/onlinebank ... dex.html#9
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
Just closed my account, here are my steps(iOS):

1. Open mobile app
2. Click on more tab
3. Contact us
4. Call now
5. Your bank accounts
6. A number to call, along with a unique extension code is generated, hit call
7. You’ll get someone on the line fairly quickly with access to your account already
8. Tell them you want to close your chequing account
9. They will verify more personal info and come back with a prorated amount to leave in the account for the monthly fee.
10. I emt’ed the rest out while they were on the phone
11. They submitted the cancellation request
12. It can take up to 2 business days to process but your card and account cannot be used immediately.

No questions asked, smooth process!
May 11, 2012
237 posts
55 upvotes
Called but rep told me that account has to be open till Oct 1st. Also $20 fee will be applied if I close over the phone. Is it even correct?
Sep 9, 2019
334 posts
190 upvotes
Hexane wrote: Called but rep told me that account has to be open till Oct 1st. Also $20 fee will be applied if I close over the phone. Is it even correct?
Doesn't sound right. The terms said till Sept 27, 2019. And when I looked online, nowhere did it mention closing account incurs a fee?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1486 posts
568 upvotes
Just went to a branch and closed the account. I said I no longer needed this account when they asked why. They gave me the balance without asking more questions.
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Sep 9, 2019
334 posts
190 upvotes
Hexane wrote: Called but rep told me that account has to be open till Oct 1st. Also $20 fee will be applied if I close over the phone. Is it even correct?
I just called asking about an offer, but I inquired about closing an account too. Unfortunately, this rep also told me to close it in branch since over the phone costs $20. I asked how about the secure message? And he didn't even seem to know about it...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
dealpool wrote: I just called asking about an offer, but I inquired about closing an account too. Unfortunately, this rep also told me to close it in branch since over the phone costs $20. I asked how about the secure message? And he didn't even seem to know about it...
Call again, you reached a clown.
Sep 28, 2019
0 posts
i just noticed freedom stopped my PAP from july, how can i do now? if RBC will charge me 500? or can i setup the Tangerin daily PAP now? if it can be worked?Face With Tears Of Joy
Dec 23, 2012
336 posts
215 upvotes
Vancouver
I went in person on September 30 to a branch to close the account. The pro-rated fee of $10.42 was subtracted from my balance (at least that's what I assume happened as it was short by that amount).
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
2143 posts
2602 upvotes
Toronto
jeeva86 wrote: Just closed my account, here are my steps(iOS):

1. Open mobile app
2. Click on more tab
3. Contact us
4. Call now
5. Your bank accounts
6. A number to call, along with a unique extension code is generated, hit call
7. You’ll get someone on the line fairly quickly with access to your account already
8. Tell them you want to close your chequing account
9. They will verify more personal info and come back with a prorated amount to leave in the account for the monthly fee.
10. I emt’ed the rest out while they were on the phone
11. They submitted the cancellation request
12. It can take up to 2 business days to process but your card and account cannot be used immediately.

No questions asked, smooth process!
Did exactly what you said. Rep said emt out your money now while I process the closure cause the balance has to be $0

I said how much do I need to leave in account for monthly prorated fee and rep said she will waive it.

One tip she gave was to rename your account to a username instead of using access card # in case you want to keep access to the credit card online (if you did sign up for the infinite card for the 30k bonus and swapped it down to a no fees reward card to keep the points balance)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
BoredAtWork wrote: Did exactly what you said. Rep said emt out your money now while I process the closure cause the balance has to be $0

I said how much do I need to leave in account for monthly prorated fee and rep said she will waive it.

One tip she gave was to rename your account to a username instead of using access card # in case you want to keep access to the credit card online (if you did sign up for the infinite card for the 30k bonus and swapped it down to a no fees reward card to keep the points balance)
lucky you with the waived fee, mine was only $2.xx, so not a big deal. I had no other rbc products so I told them to close my profile. I just logged in and I can still view my account, so hopefully it's gone by tmr.