Hot Deals

[Royal Bank] RBC new chequing account promotion - Apple Watch or $79 iPhone Se

Nov 29, 2003
288 posts
37 upvotes
North York
mobifree wrote:
May 4th, 2017 1:07 pm
I have all my accts with RBC, they definitely do NOT waive your fees despite maintaining a balance.

I'm finally making the switch to TD. I just stayed with RBC because I was lazy. TD's $30/ mo plan fee gets waived when your balance is over $5000, which is great as it comes with a tonne of "free" stuff like drafts, waiving your VISA annual fee, small safety deposit box and etc...
You can get fees waved if you maintain multiple products with RBC, but none of the accounts that qualify for the Watch gets you fully free costs.

So really you're paying about 8.95 over 12 months to get that Watch. 108 bucks (and no HST cuz bank fee, right?) is not bad if you really want a Series 1.

And you happen to already have investments and mortgage with them.

So yeah. Not many folks on RFD are going to qualify.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2424 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Elessar wrote:
May 4th, 2017 1:52 pm
You can get fees waved if you maintain multiple products with RBC, but none of the accounts that qualify for the Watch gets you fully free costs.

So really you're paying about 8.95 over 12 months to get that Watch. 108 bucks (and no HST cuz bank fee, right?) is not bad if you really want a Series 1.

Because of the drafts I have the VIP acct..And it doesn't get fully waived despite having all the products.
With TD, I'm getting my fee waived in full for maintaining $5000+.
Oct 20, 2013
719 posts
179 upvotes
mobifree wrote:
May 4th, 2017 1:07 pm
I have all my accts with RBC, they definitely do NOT waive your fees despite maintaining a balance.

I'm finally making the switch to TD. I just stayed with RBC because I was lazy. TD's $30/ mo plan fee gets waived when your balance is over $5000, which is great as it comes with a tonne of "free" stuff like drafts, waiving your VISA annual fee, small safety deposit box and etc...
That's the best offer right now IMHO.
I have that, and it's pretty good.
They are opened Saturdays and Sundays too.
Jan 24, 2009
461 posts
116 upvotes
I know we RFDers are always railing against bank fees, but some RBC packages actually offer excellent value, especially if you travel. And I'm going to switch to the VIP package. I have a mortgage and Direct Investing accounts, so this brings the package down to $19.95 instead of $30.

The VIP package is worth it for couples that like to keep separate bank accounts. You get up to 3 bank accounts (e.g. 1 each and a joint account), free cross-border debits, rebates on Interac fees, and a full rebate on the Aviion travel credit card, which is worth $170 a year with co-card fee.

The card has comprehensive travel insurance for 2 (interruption, cancellation, etc.) and it even has 15 day sof medical. The travel insurance without medical can cost $300 for a 2 week trip for 2 to Europe!

So not bad if you actually use the benefits.
Apr 27, 2010
538 posts
160 upvotes
randomroyalty wrote:
May 4th, 2017 4:03 pm
I know we RFDers are always railing against bank fees, but some RBC packages actually offer excellent value, especially if you travel. And I'm going to switch to the VIP package. I have a mortgage and Direct Investing accounts, so this brings the package down to $19.95 instead of $30.

The VIP package is worth it for couples that like to keep separate bank accounts. You get up to 3 bank accounts (e.g. 1 each and a joint account), free cross-border debits, rebates on Interac fees, and a full rebate on the Aviion travel credit card, which is worth $170 a year with co-card fee.

The card has comprehensive travel insurance for 2 (interruption, cancellation, etc.) and it even has 15 day sof medical. The travel insurance without medical can cost $300 for a 2 week trip for 2 to Europe!

So not bad if you actually use the benefits.
TD has a similar plan, and the fees are waived if you maintain a balance of $5k.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
2634 posts
588 upvotes
QC
Elessar wrote:
May 4th, 2017 1:52 pm

You need at least one of their products or all to get the rebates? If having an extra credit card to get 6$/mo rebate, I'm ok with that
Oct 20, 2013
719 posts
179 upvotes
spunwasi wrote:
May 4th, 2017 4:16 pm
TD has a similar plan, and the fees are waived if you maintain a balance of $5k.
5000$ staying in a account to save 29,95$ x 12 month
It's like a 360$ saving, about 7,2% of your 5K
The credit card is really good for travel with Expedia
The safe is always a nice to have ( can contains old 3,5 inch hard drives )
Jan 28, 2011
51 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Why pay for a monthly fee when Tangerine offer free checking account, with deposing/withdrawal at any Scotia Bank?!
Aug 10, 2006
571 posts
128 upvotes
RBC luvs client fees. Even my RBC DI was switched out recently 9.95 - no thanks..
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2229 posts
483 upvotes
GTA
And I, a loyal customer of RBC for years with this very account, get nothing. Yay.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6728 posts
518 upvotes
Thanks, going to give it a try now so I can make sure I get the space grey 42. Think its pretty good value either way. Applying online takes 2-3 days to book a branch appointment, so if you want to get it all done in one day just go into the branch
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2015
574 posts
200 upvotes
Lol they still require you to pay for a promotional offering...
Apr 23, 2009
226 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
That have always been my complain about all these banks, they do zero for loyal customers, it is a joke. They encouraged people to move from one institutions to another.

N8Magic wrote:
May 4th, 2017 5:10 pm
And I, a loyal customer of RBC for years with this very account, get nothing. Yay.
Oct 20, 2013
719 posts
179 upvotes
Leo168 wrote:
May 4th, 2017 6:23 pm
That have always been my complain about all these banks, they do zero for loyal customers, it is a joke. They encouraged people to move from one institutions to another.
Well they expect you to be to lazy to move.
I'm.
I found a good compromise with the TD all-inclusive for 5000$ and I don't have enough time right now to apply on small promotion.
When I signed with TD, they gave me a tablet. A Samsung. I made 200$ on Kijiji too.
Dec 25, 2013
344 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
I'd do it if I could leave a couple of K in and get the fees waived without having to add extra items, otherwise I'm out..

I'll keep my money in tangerine and no fees..