[Royal Bank] RBC new chequing account promotion - Apple Watch or $79 iPhone Se

Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2370 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto, ON
N8Magic wrote:
May 4th, 2017 5:10 pm
And I, a loyal customer of RBC for years with this very account, get nothing. Yay.
Exactly. I've been with Royal Bank for almost 20 years. I have multiple credit cards, RRSP, TFSA, 2 mortgages and I still pay the fees with well over $5000+ in the acct. They only credit a portion of th efees.

I moved one of my mortgages to TD, along with my primary chequing account. When my 2nd mortgage comes up for renewal, I'll be leaving RBC altogether.
Aug 4, 2006
222 posts
47 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
esq05 wrote:
May 4th, 2017 12:39 pm
I know TD and BMO (likely others too) waive monthly fees if you keep a certain amount in the account. RBC never did that and it doesn't seem they do now.
They make the most money ... why should they lose out on that revenue? Don't you want the biggest and the best?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1443 posts
175 upvotes
Winnipeg
I would go for the CIBC $300 offer over this. This one isnt as good as the last $300 promo they had.
Im with RBC and have their cheapest account and get multi product rebate (bank for free)

Its a good bank; better service than TD imo.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1416 posts
894 upvotes
mobifree wrote:
May 4th, 2017 1:07 pm
I have all my accts with RBC, they definitely do NOT waive your fees despite maintaining a balance.

I'm finally making the switch to TD. I just stayed with RBC because I was lazy. TD's $30/ mo plan fee gets waived when your balance is over $5000, which is great as it comes with a tonne of "free" stuff like drafts, waiving your VISA annual fee, small safety deposit box and etc...
For td, never go below your balance minimum for monthly fee. Otherwise if you don't notice you end up paying ridiculous fees due to higher monthly cost for their accounts without maintaining a minimum balance.

I had an old account that I didn't watch or login often. Didn't realize I accidentally withdrew money from atm machine one time and it brought balance below. Paid several months of monthly fee because it's not my main account and I don't check it often.
Jan 7, 2017
19 posts
11 upvotes
Other than the memory increase were there any notable upgrades between the SE model RBC is offering vs the current model sold by Apple
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
2529 posts
556 upvotes
QC
FrustratinglyFrugal wrote:
May 5th, 2017 8:55 pm
Other than the memory increase were there any notable upgrades between the SE model RBC is offering vs the current model sold by Apple
The SE is the most current phone for its size.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
1285 posts
58 upvotes
So if we actually want the phone, what is the best method? My wife has an account already with RBC and I would like to be added onto the account, but I would like to also take advantage of this deal first.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1152 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad it wasn't a Series 2 watch.

BTW, do local bank branch managers have the power to give away incentives/watches?
Dec 31, 2013
550 posts
256 upvotes
Lol, the 1 upvote is probably from a RBC employee. Tangerine is the best, followed by credit unions. The big banks are all bad, but RBC is the worst out of all.
Jun 16, 2012
254 posts
19 upvotes
MARKHAM
Apparently for the multi product rebate you have to have a mortgage for both of these accounts to qualify for the multi product rebate:

Multiproduct rebate

was actually considering joining this deal for a spare phone/apple watch since i had a cc from when i banked there a few years back, guess they saved me the trouble since i don't have a mortgage lol.
Jun 1, 2008
927 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Myrandor wrote:
May 4th, 2017 5:09 pm
Why pay for a monthly fee when Tangerine offer free checking account, with deposing/withdrawal at any Scotia Bank?!
You get what you pay for. By the way Tangerine started with no tfsa transfer fees, higher interest than Scotia... and slowly but surely that has changed. In addition they insist on charging for Interac transfers. You can't compare Tangerine to RBC or TD in the service you will get.
Aug 14, 2010
52 posts
8 upvotes
Myrandor wrote:
May 4th, 2017 5:09 pm
Why pay for a monthly fee when Tangerine offer free checking account, with deposing/withdrawal at any Scotia Bank?!
Exactly!

I use EQ and PC Financial and pay no fees.

Don't understand people.
Oct 4, 2008
618 posts
65 upvotes
When you say you pay no fees, itt depends on what service you actually use and you get to pay no fees.
Im not a banking professional in my household, but I know for sure we don't pay ATM fees on other than RBC ATM machines. If you use ANY/ALL atm, will get free transactions (or reimbursed from EQ/PC/Tangerines) ? It's easy to say I don't pay any fees, just like I can say I get free car insurance if I don't have a damn car.
We also collect points on RBC Infinite Avion card and even with 120+70 a year I find it worth it to have this card. With VIP account - this $170 fee gets rebated, so I enjoy all perks of these cards for free.

But as much as it sounds Im defending RBC, I can't wait to go away from them and to later come back just to get free products. Im sick of them giving no shit about their own customers. My mortgage is coming to renewal and I will try to get the HSBC rate...after which Im taking everything from RBC and going with whoever I find best at the moment.
Sep 2, 2015
594 posts
269 upvotes
Monthly Fee: $14.95
how long you need to stay with this bank account? 6 months?
Apr 24, 2017
15 posts
1 upvote
Someone asked earlier about the watch itself. I bought my wife one for Xmas and she loves it. She's pretty active so loves all the fitness apps and logs and records. I think the dictation aspect for text in the car is great. I'd have taken RBC up on this for sure to get one for myself if you could waive fees. All this amounts to is give RBC business and get a discounted series 1 on a payment plan. Meh.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel