Hot Deals

[Royal Bank] RBC new chequing account promotion - Apple Watch or $79 iPhone Se

Jul 16, 2006
289 posts
106 upvotes
sdg wrote:
May 7th, 2017 11:50 am
Exactly!

I use EQ and PC Financial and pay no fees.

Don't understand people.
I think its because people want to do more than just Depositing and withdrawing money.

I have a TD Bank account and the free safety deposit is nice to put all my gold and wife's jewelry in. I get free certified cheques which helped because i needed to get multiple cheques bidding on different houses that i lost. Would have sucked if I had to pay it every time.
Nov 28, 2013
538 posts
196 upvotes
Quebec
jeff1970 wrote:
May 10th, 2017 8:34 am
Says you need to be set-up by September 1. So it's 12 or 13 months. Not 16.

Either way, still cheaper than buy the Watch outright. I was in the mood for a Watch, especially since I got a new iPhone...in for 9...
Sorry for the bump, but do you get the watch whe nyou register or after september 2018, because if it is, the watch might be cheaper at that time
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
2644 posts
591 upvotes
QC
rich24 wrote:
May 10th, 2017 12:07 pm
I think its because people want to do more than just Depositing and withdrawing money.

I have a TD Bank account and the free safety deposit is nice to put all my gold and wife's jewelry in. I get free certified cheques which helped because i needed to get multiple cheques bidding on different houses that i lost. Would have sucked if I had to pay it every time.
I don't think you fit in the category "everyday banking". Most people don't have gold or not enough to justify a safety deposit and certainly dont need multiple certified cheque to bid on house lol.
Jul 16, 2006
289 posts
106 upvotes
jfmartel wrote:
May 10th, 2017 2:36 pm
I don't think you fit in the category "everyday banking". Most people don't have gold or not enough to justify a safety deposit and certainly dont need multiple certified cheque to bid on house lol.
Well if you bid on a house and lose.. Then you need to go back and get the money back and get another cheque for the next house. I am sure that anyone bidding on housing.

And a safety deposit box can be used for documents as well. You dont want to keep everything in your house in case there is a fire or something
Mar 9, 2012
622 posts
174 upvotes
KITCHENER
ratatapa wrote:
May 10th, 2017 1:18 pm
Sorry for the bump, but do you get the watch whe nyou register or after september 2018, because if it is, the watch might be cheaper at that time
You should get a message in the message centre when you log into your account. So this would be after you qualify (payroll deposit or 2 pre-authorized debits). My guess would be 2 or 3 months after you open the account.
May 10, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Leo168 wrote:
May 4th, 2017 6:23 pm
That have always been my complain about all these banks, they do zero for loyal customers, it is a joke. They encouraged people to move from one institutions to another.
That's seem the game here in Canada. Cell phone companies, cable. Banks everything seems only interested in new customers
Dec 25, 2013
344 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
I've gotten soo many "free offers" over the years from banks, it says in one of the early clauses that if I've participated in a previous offer in the last 5 years I'm ineligible. What did RBC have before last years ipad, anyone remember?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
2644 posts
591 upvotes
QC
Ychanceit wrote:
May 17th, 2017 4:46 pm
I've gotten soo many "free offers" over the years from banks, it says in one of the early clauses that if I've participated in a previous offer in the last 5 years I'm ineligible. What did RBC have before last years ipad, anyone remember?
iPad Mini 2 for 12 months at 15$/mo if I remember correctly
Dec 25, 2013
344 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
jfmartel wrote:
May 17th, 2017 4:51 pm
iPad Mini 2 for 12 months at 15$/mo if I remember correctly
So it was Ipad two years in a row?
Dec 25, 2013
344 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
User122125 wrote:
May 11th, 2017 12:16 am
That's seem the game here in Canada. Cell phone companies, cable. Banks everything seems only interested in new customers
It's because when it comes to things like this canadians are generally very lazy and don't switch Banks or phone contracts as often as Americans do (this isn't opinion, this is a fact), which is largely due to our lack of competition. So the big companies think so Canadians are lazy and aren't as likely to switch they only try to entice new customers, not thinking they should be worried to retain the ones they already have.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1491 posts
138 upvotes
Vancouver
RBC tried to get out of paying me the new account bonus on their last promotion.
I had to escalate it to the ombudsman.

I'd avoid RBC at all costs.
Sep 7, 2007
30 posts
17 upvotes
Victoria
Yeah, I can attest to that. My bf had over $10k in his RBC account, and he was still having to pay $4/month for the privilege. PLUS he had his trading accounts at RBC, and they raised his transaction fees! I got into a discussion with RBC's customer service rep, and said TD waives the monthly fee with a minimum balance. The best they could do was to negotiate a lower trading fee from their investment division. Once he finally realized how stupid RBC was, I got him to switch to TD when they had the $300 for new customers promotion. He's confirmed he received the $300 bonus. Plus, they gave him $500 credit against transaction fees on his trading account.
Sep 9, 2016
27 posts
9 upvotes
Worth it for the Iphone SE?
Recently, my iphone 5s has been turning off suddenly, I have had it for 3 years, and worry that it may die soon... Is this the best deal for a new phone? I figure I will pay the approximate total of $273.35 (14.95 monthly fee x 13 months + $79 for the iphone offer). Looked on Kijiji, and best price I can see for a new iphone SE is $375. Paying in installments of 14.95 per month is also nice.
Would appreciate other RFD's opinions / suggestions. Thank you.
Feb 23, 2011
1 posts
toronto
FamilyDealz wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 10:36 am
Worth it for the Iphone SE?
Recently, my iphone 5s has been turning off suddenly, I have had it for 3 years, and worry that it may die soon... Is this the best deal for a new phone? I figure I will pay the approximate total of $273.35 (14.95 monthly fee x 13 months + $79 for the iphone offer). Looked on Kijiji, and best price I can see for a new iphone SE is $375. Paying in installments of 14.95 per month is also nice.
Would appreciate other RFD's opinions / suggestions. Thank you.

I am wondering the same thing, except I still have an iphone4s that I bought straight from Apple when it was new. It is starting to have serious problems. I was going to try to wait until September and get the new iPhone that comes out, but I'm not sure my phone will make it that long... I am trying to sort out whether this deal makes sense.
Mar 4, 2009
391 posts
3 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
May 10th, 2017 5:39 pm
You should get a message in the message centre when you log into your account. So this would be after you qualify (payroll deposit or 2 pre-authorized debits). My guess would be 2 or 3 months after you open the account.

From their Terms & Conditions:
3. J. Starting June 15th 2017, we will notify you by way of message to your Online Banking Message Centre, when you have fulfilled the Qualifying Criteria and qualified for the Promotional Offer. This message will be sent at any time up to two business days after the first payroll/pension deposit has been credited or the second Pre-Authorized Payment has been debited from the Eligible Personal Banking Account. The message will contain a secure link that will permit you to visit a secure online store where you can select your Reward and confirm an address for delivery, as well as any other shipping details;

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)