Pets

Royal Canin Cat Food Where Is the least expensive place to Buy ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2018 3:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 22, 2010
400 posts
7 upvotes

Royal Canin Cat Food Where Is the least expensive place to Buy ?

hi i just aquired a cat and the previous owner informed me that he eats royal Canin ,Im sure this is more on the higher end of the dollar ,does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can purchase cheaper?
23 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 15, 2012
1525 posts
441 upvotes
Is there a medical reason why? If not, (actually, even if there is) there are far better quality cat foods out there that aren't loaded with grains and other filler for less. It's really just over priced crappy food (Hills as well) that vets like to shill because they get paid to.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6003 posts
570 upvotes
SW Ontario
RemedialChaosTheory wrote:
May 25th, 2012 11:59 pm
Is there a medical reason why? If not, (actually, even if there is) there are far better quality cat foods out there that aren't loaded with grains and other filler for less. It's really just over priced crappy food (Hills as well) that vets like to shill because they get paid to.

This. We were on royal canin due to vet recommendation. Then I became knowledgeable on pet food and are phasing them off of it in favor of a product that has quality ingredients.
Member
Dec 25, 2010
285 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
I've always fed my cat Royal Canin (the Humane Society they said she used to eat Whiskas, so I figured this was a step up) and she seems to like it. No digestive problems and she has a nice clean/soft coat. The bag says it's made in Canada so I thought that was a good sign too.

OP, I buy mine at the Global Pet Foods chain, but I don't know how they stack up price-wise with competitors.


Not to hijack the thread, but what do you folks recommend that's a better cat food?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6003 posts
570 upvotes
SW Ontario
There is a huge and good thread on this already, sorry I can't link to it right now. On my phone.
Newbie
Jan 14, 2008
42 posts
15 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
May 26th, 2012 12:01 am
This. We were on royal canin due to vet recommendation. Then I became knowledgeable on pet food and are phasing them off of it in favor of a product that has quality ingredients.

This thread is enlightening, thanks. I have an 11-year-old Maine Coone. She has had dental issues in the past so I've been feeding her Royal Canin dental mix for the last year and a half. Due to her long coat, she also has more hairball issues than most cats. Any alternative food recommendations would be much appreciated :)
Member
Jan 15, 2007
464 posts
38 upvotes
This will add zero value to the thread, but my cat LOVES Royal Canin... so would love to hear where it's a good price!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6003 posts
570 upvotes
SW Ontario
ellav wrote:
May 28th, 2012 11:19 am
This thread is enlightening, thanks. I have an 11-year-old Maine Coone. She has had dental issues in the past so I've been feeding her Royal Canin dental mix for the last year and a half. Due to her long coat, she also has more hairball issues than most cats. Any alternative food recommendations would be much appreciated :)

Try this thread for a little information on the ingredients and finding quality ingredients. The thread is mostly dog stuff, but a lot is applicable for cats. so-you-want-feed-your-pet-healthy-diet-read-1173417/

That link above looks good, but I haven't read it.

For our one cat that eats wet food, we are giving Wellness canned food, as it has been recommended by many for low phosphorus which is needed for him since he has chronic renal failure: http://wellnesspetfood.com/index.aspx
For our other cat (who won't eat wet) we are trying Oven Baked Tradition: http://www.ovenbakedtradition.com/ .. So far so good, and way cheaper than Royal Canin. We changed our dog from Kirkland to Acana, and her coat is looking a lot nicer now.. The cats aren't as obvious if anything has changed, but they like the new food, and we feel a lot better about what we are giving them, and it's also a little easier on the budget than the stuff we were using before...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2004 upvotes
Nowhere
RemedialChaosTheory wrote:
May 28th, 2012 2:14 pm
http://www.catinfo.org/

As someone with a diabetic cat, I definitely support the info on this site. It is where I learned to feed my cat and get her off insulin. I definitely recommend that every cat owner read the info on this website.

I thought I was feeding my cat well by buying the more expensive pet store food but I was wrong and have the expensive vet bills to prove it. Even the vet steered me wrong with the prescription diabetic food that was still too high in carbs. I actually used it when I needed to get her blood sugar back up after the insulin dropped it too low. Getting my cat off dry, stabilized her blood sugar and had her off insulin for 5 years. Believe me it is best to start your cat out on a proper diet and not be forced to make the changes when your cat is older (set in it's ways) and sick. I do read labels now and am always on the look out for good cat food but unfortunately my cat is very picky so I still feed her the low carb crap she likes but no dry food which she loves.

She got very sick last year, wouldn't eat and had to be force fed after spending 5 days hospitalized on an IV. Not eating can cause liver disease and her liver enzymes were 10x normal so I struggle between feeding her good food that she won't eat or stuff that she will eat. I do mix the food but unless I get the mixture just right, she won't eat it. When your cat has been sick, you've poked and prodded her (insulin injections/blood testing), you force fed her, hospitalized her and forced her to take numerous medications, it is hard to refuse her food that she likes (canned food w/ meat by-products) that isn't as bad for her, as the food she loves (dry food) that you can no longer feed her. Ideally, she should be eating high quality protein but she won't. Avoid the problems and feed your cat right from the beginning. I do realize that it is hard to do with commercial cat food but that is why people need to be educated about this so that pet food manufacturers stop making this crap to appease humans who think cats need fruit and vegetables in their food.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2004 upvotes
Nowhere
redgrandam wrote:
May 28th, 2012 2:48 pm
Try this thread for a little information on the ingredients and finding quality ingredients. The thread is mostly dog stuff, but a lot is applicable for cats. so-you-want-feed-your-pet-healthy-diet-read-1173417/

That link above looks good, but I haven't read it.

For our one cat that eats wet food, we are giving Wellness canned food, as it has been recommended by many for low phosphorus which is needed for him since he has chronic renal failure: http://wellnesspetfood.com/index.aspx
For our other cat (who won't eat wet) we are trying Oven Baked Tradition: http://www.ovenbakedtradition.com/ .. So far so good, and way cheaper than Royal Canin. We changed our dog from Kirkland to Acana, and her coat is looking a lot nicer now.. The cats aren't as obvious if anything has changed, but they like the new food, and we feel a lot better about what we are giving them, and it's also a little easier on the budget than the stuff we were using before...

Cats are not dogs and their dietary needs are very different. Cats are obligate carnivores. Dogs are omnivores. Cats get their energy from protein not carbohydrates. They do not need fruits or vegetables in their food. They need high quality meat. NO cat should be fed dry food. It is too high in carbohydrates. Wellness is not a high quality food. Please read the info at http://www.catinfo.org/
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 16, 2004
1494 posts
49 upvotes
York Region
Cheap Cat wrote:
May 28th, 2012 3:27 pm
Cats are not dogs and their dietary needs are very different. Cats are obligate carnivores. Dogs are omnivores. Cats get their energy from protein not carbohydrates. They do not need fruits or vegetables in their food. They need high quality meat. NO cat should be fed dry food. It is too high in carbohydrates. Wellness is not a high quality food. Please read the info at http://www.catinfo.org/

what makes you say that Wellness wet cat food is not a high quality?
High quality food is the only one that you will make yourself only. Some of commercially available WET food is not High quality but a good quality.

I have been feeding our 2 cats Wellness wet food for few years now. They will get a snack of Orijen dry food before we go to bed.
Our vet told me last week as one of the cats need dental cleaning, $400-500. MY dental cleaning is $150.

So, we have to try dental formula of Royal Canin first to see how it goes...
Member
Mar 16, 2011
255 posts
40 upvotes
Wellness core canned is a high quality food. I don't think there is a perfect commercial food, so for that reason alone, my cats get a rotation of canned food. They don't get bored that way and it helps me in the case of a recall too. I feed them a whole variety with evo 95% the mainstay because it is the best of the bunch and as an added bonus, the cheapest. They also get wellness core as mentioned and natures' variety, merrick's cowboy cookout, grammy's pot pie ect. Not as often, I feed them b.f.f, addiction,by nature, natural balance lid green pea and venison, blue buffalo, go!, nature's logic, weruva steak frites, taste of the wild, ziwipeak, tikicat, avoderm and evangers. All of these are canned foods. I give orijen dry for treats, but not a heck of a lot. A bag will last me a better part of a year. After I move, I plan on transitioning them to raw, whole prey and frankenprey style, because I am concerned about their dental health and because it is better for their overall health and cheaper for me. I love those win win situations.
Newbie
Sep 8, 2015
2 posts
Aurora
Hi, so does anyone know vets that sell Royal Canin at a more reasonable price?
Our feline is on the Urinary SO, just wondering if anyone knows a source... we buy it by the cases. Thanks.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 19, 2012
1754 posts
230 upvotes
Canada
tuscanyfan wrote:
Sep 9th, 2015 2:17 pm
Hi, so does anyone know vets that sell Royal Canin at a more reasonable price?
Our feline is on the Urinary SO, just wondering if anyone knows a source... we buy it by the cases. Thanks.
wet or dry food?

Top