Expired Hot Deals

[Royal Caribbean] Cruise Sale. 50% off Second Guest and Kids Sail Free.

Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
11191 posts
1459 upvotes
Markham
LaMinhJ787806 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 4:25 pm
yeah that's just stupid, I go to guest services and just opt out of the gratuities. if I enjoyed my cruise I might tip $100 for my party at the end of my trip. I don't think my kids should have to tip. Cleaning a room is the same process weather its 2 persons or 4 persons.

in 2015 the top 5 executives at Royal Caribbean made 20 million. So they have enough money to pay their staff. It shouldn't be our responsibility.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... llion.html
They let you opt out?
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9980 posts
4293 upvotes
Southern Ontario
LaMinhJ787806 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 7:32 pm
Hey we can have different views, that's ok we don't have to agree. We are already off topic but lets at least keep it to "Tipping or not Tipping" you need not worry about my soul and we can keep religious opinions aside.

I feel like I'm being quilted/shamed into tipping and I don't like it. you are fine with it and that's cool for you.

My point is cruise lines make a ton of money, they save on overhead because they can operate in international waters allowing them to skirt fair wages for staff they hire. They implement a system so that the passengers can get to know the staff and subsidize their income by way of a set amount of tip. And makes you feel "cheap" if you don't. I just don't like this tactic, i find it deceiving and manipulative to both myself and the 3rd world staff. So I exercise my right not to play into their model. (you may see it as me punishing an innocent person with my principles but I don't see it that way...sorry we disagree)

Do you tip your hotel room cleaner when you stay at a normal hotel? This person is prob also a minority 3rd would underpaid worker too.(maybe you do but you'd be in the minority)
If I eat at the wind jammer buffet should I feel obligated to tip the head waiter, assistant waiter because I used the dining room 1 night?
That's cool, we don't have to agree, I'm okay with that. It's not that off topic because paying grats is the norm and part of budgeting for a cruise. I have no religious opinions, it's related to the concept of Helper's High and the benefits are clearly established. It goes both ways, last night I was tipped $300 (event photography), it's an incredible feeling that my client thinks that way about my service, not something I experience every day because my primary career does not allow tipping. I'm not looking for reasons not to pay cruise grats, that's just negativity.

A hotel room cleaner in Canada is paid a lot more than a Stateroom host, and yes, I will still tip them. We also routinely tip maids at All-Inclusives.
No, I'm not going to pay grats to our RCI head waiter and assistant if we do most of our meals at the Windjammer, however, the food at the restaurants are much better, it's not just compartmentalized buffet food. So is the experience, by the 2nd/3rd day, those 2 know my family's preferences, our drinks are already on the table, my young one loves cooked carrots, she doesn't even need to ask on successive nights, etc etc.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8483 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Never knew you could opt out of the gratuity system.

If I had known, I would have on day one, and tip each individual employee I work with privately and in cash.

I am pretty sure these "gratuities" aren't what they seem at all.

That aside, hoping to hop onto another cruise this year! Have had fantastic experiences on all my RC cruises.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1293 posts
294 upvotes
GTA
Ive been cruising several times and every time I go on a cruise, I always reserve the sit in dinner for the whole trip. Reasons for this is because the food is better than the buffet and its full service. With saying that, I always tip the waiter at the end of my cruise as he provided me a service, and I enjoyed my dinners there, so why not tip the waiter for a job well done.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2015
3041 posts
14840 upvotes
BC, Lower Mainland
Most of them are "Leaving from the states"
Any cruise "leaving from BC or Toronto?"
Tim Hortons Tip: Buy 3 mini strudels in separate transaction ($0.42 each) and then Redeem Free Coffee(Any Sizes) (Dec 31) 😃

SELLING

GROUP BUY
Xqisit portable banks + usb (Cheap)
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3737 posts
291 upvotes
Scarborough
Thatdealguy wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:43 pm
Most of them are "Leaving from the states"
Any cruise "leaving from BC or Toronto?"
....From Vancouver, they have Alaska cruises and repositioning cruises... closest cruise port from Toronto would be Quebec City or NYC
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2015
3041 posts
14840 upvotes
BC, Lower Mainland
GateGuardian wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:47 pm
....From Vancouver, they have Alaska cruises and repositioning cruises... closest cruise port from Toronto would be Quebec City or NYC
I see. So for this promotion, I would have to travel to the states to go on the cruise?
Tim Hortons Tip: Buy 3 mini strudels in separate transaction ($0.42 each) and then Redeem Free Coffee(Any Sizes) (Dec 31) 😃

SELLING

GROUP BUY
Xqisit portable banks + usb (Cheap)
Jan 28, 2011
88 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Still wondering if it's better to take a 12 days cruise from Baltimore, on buy planes tickets and take a 5 days cruise from Miami. For a party of 7, the 5 days cruise + plane ticket is almost the same price as the 12 days cruise alone...
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
1036 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
FWIW I highly recommend Royal Caribbean cruises for families. Their kid program is fantastic (so much so they'll probably not want to hang out with you) and the facilities are top notch. The food I find is (much) better than resorts and the entertainment is shockingly professional and talented (like finalists of the X-Factor, AGT or American Idol =). There's so much stuff to do on the boats (which are really floating cities) for everybody that you can barely do it all. That including ice skating (there's another dimension to it when the boat is rocking!), wall climbing, Flow-Rider (which is ridiculously fun) and just relaxing at the pools/hot tubs

I personally like RCI above Norwegian (they're not bad but RCI I find better), Carnival (too party for me) and Disney (it's more geared purely towards kids and it's now $$$). I'm booked for Feb 2018 Oasis of the Sea... that would be cruise #5 for my spoiled 5yo son so if you have questions about cruising with young kids (he's been on one every year of his life) just PM me.
Oct 10, 2009
114 posts
19 upvotes
Hamilton
mcg wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:33 pm
Never knew you could opt out of the gratuity system.

If I had known, I would have on day one, and tip each individual employee I work with privately and in cash.

I am pretty sure these "gratuities" aren't what they seem at all.

That aside, hoping to hop onto another cruise this year! Have had fantastic experiences on all my RC cruises.
AFAIK, the gratuity fee per day is mandatory for RCI cruises. You can either choose to pay in advance or have it charged to your board which you'll have to settle at the end of the trip.
Feb 27, 2009
581 posts
181 upvotes
Cyclic wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 10:46 pm
AFAIK, the gratuity fee per day is mandatory for RCI cruises. You can either choose to pay in advance or have it charged to your board which you'll have to settle at the end of the trip.

Q: Is the gratuity required?

A: The gratuity is automatically added to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests have the opportunity to adjust this gratuity at their discretion until the morning of their departure. Guests who have prepaid their gratuity won't see a daily charge during their cruise.
Oct 10, 2009
114 posts
19 upvotes
Hamilton
yellman wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 10:51 pm
Q: Is the gratuity required?

A: The gratuity is automatically added to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests have the opportunity to adjust this gratuity at their discretion until the morning of their departure. Guests who have prepaid their gratuity won't see a daily charge during their cruise.
Ah ok, didn't know that you can complain for a adjustment. Good to know, thanks.
Apr 27, 2008
863 posts
230 upvotes
Edmonton
LaMinhJ787806 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 7:32 pm
... Do you tip your hotel room cleaner when you stay at a normal hotel? ...
I do. Depending on the length of stay, I tend to leave $3-10 on desk/nightstand when I check out. While I understand they are just doing their jobs, it's a tough job that pays little even at Canadian minimum wages. While I tend to keep my hotel room tidy and neat during my stay with relatively minimum cleaning required on the maids part, I know they have to deal with other guests that treat their rooms like a dump.

Having said that, I will refrain from leaving a tip if the maid service is poor, like not restocking toiletries, folding/replacing towels, etc...

To each their own, but like you said the cruise company makes lots of money, just like hotels, but it doesn't mean the staff do. At the minimum, if you are not going to tip, I hope you try to make their jobs easier by keeping things tidy in your room, and not leaving an excessive mess for them to clean up. Paying to stay somewhere, whether it be a cruise statesroom or hotel does not give the guest carte blanche to be a filthy pig and expect housekeeping to clean up your excessive mess.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
2077 posts
589 upvotes
London
Thatdealguy wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:54 pm
I see. So for this promotion, I would have to travel to the states to go on the cruise?
For this particular kids sail free promo there are 109 itineraries for you to choose from. I have seen one from England, Rome, Barcelona, Amsterdam, (9+ days), San Juan (US-ish), Copenhagen, England, Barcelona (6-7 days). Most are Caribbean offerings that sail from Florida, Texas, Baltimore or New Jersey.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7017 posts
1072 upvotes
Ajax
Myrandor wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:58 pm
Still wondering if it's better to take a 12 days cruise from Baltimore, on buy planes tickets and take a 5 days cruise from Miami. For a party of 7, the 5 days cruise + plane ticket is almost the same price as the 12 days cruise alone...
There must be a lot less ports and a smaller ship going out of Miami for 5 days. If you driving to Baltimore add 2 days for the drive for a total of 14 day vacation versus 5/6 days. If you can do the 14 days I had say that would be better.
Why spend $2000 on air tickets when you can drive for $200+.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)