Expired Hot Deals

[Royal Caribbean] Cruise Sale. 50% off Second Guest and Kids Sail Free.

Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12446 posts
1355 upvotes
Toronto
I booked through Costco a month ago and the prices on the royal site are cheaper now. I wonder if I can get Costco to price match. I thought Costco was the way to go....
Jan 28, 2011
88 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bobcat99 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 11:38 pm
There must be a lot less ports and a smaller ship going out of Miami for 5 days. If you driving to Baltimore add 2 days for the drive for a total of 14 day vacation versus 5/6 days. If you can do the 14 days I had say that would be better.
Why spend $2000 on air tickets when you can drive for $200+.
2 days drive? I'm from Quebec and 2 years ago, I did go to Lorton, VA and it was a 14h drive with all the stop to eat, etc. Going to Baltimore seems to be like 10-12h of drive if you stop to eat.

But you have a point, why spend on 2000$ plane tickets...
Aug 25, 2006
622 posts
52 upvotes
As long as you a before final payment, they should be able to adjust.

Also your costco cash back may be adjusted.

And it also depends on the original price -- did you purchase a refundable or non refundable cruise?
Nov 19, 2010
769 posts
182 upvotes
burlington, on
Reading few pages seams for a family of 4 with 2 kids between 6 and 3 y.o will come around 1800.
Which one is the cheapest departure place to fly?
And flying is full price for kids too.
Because at this point if you spend other 1500 in flights maybe is cheaper go for all inclusive (most location s have kids free too)
Jun 13, 2017
13 posts
15 upvotes
canukeneh wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 11:11 pm

At the minimum, if you are not going to tip, I hope you try to make their jobs easier by keeping things tidy in your room, and not leaving an excessive mess for them to clean up. Paying to stay somewhere, whether it be a cruise statesroom or hotel does not give the guest carte blanche to be a filthy pig and expect housekeeping to clean up your excessive mess.
That's fair enough. We don't have to behave like animals.
Oct 13, 2011
425 posts
191 upvotes
Myrandor wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:58 pm
Still wondering if it's better to take a 12 days cruise from Baltimore, on buy planes tickets and take a 5 days cruise from Miami. For a party of 7, the 5 days cruise + plane ticket is almost the same price as the 12 days cruise alone...
There are pros and cons.

Pros: You definitely save on the flying cost if you were to sail out of Baltimore. Also, you can do a pre or post cruise side trip to Washington DC as it is only an hour away from Baltimore.

Cons: You will be sailing on the Grandeur where facilities/activities for kids are somewhat limited. Aside from the kids club, the rock climbing wall and the pool, there isn't really a whole lot for the kids to do even in warmer weather. And if you're sailing during the colder months, the kids wouldn't even have access to a pool because it will be too cold to use the outside one, and the heated one in the solarium is adults only. This is especially important because 4 out of the 6 sea days for this cruise will occurs in the colder climate zone.

If the schedule works, you may want to look at the Jan 19, 2018 9 days sailing out of NJ on the Anthem. It should run approximately the same cost as what was quoted to you for the 12 days out of Baltimore. Yes, the itinerary is boring, but NJ is drivable, and the Anthem is also designed and built as a cold weather ship where there are so many indoor things to do like Trapeze, bumper car, escape room, indoor swimming, and a sky diving simulation that you can use even during the colder sea days.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7017 posts
1072 upvotes
Ajax
Myrandor wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 5:25 am
2 days drive? I'm from Quebec and 2 years ago, I did go to Lorton, VA and it was a 14h drive with all the stop to eat, etc. Going to Baltimore seems to be like 10-12h of drive if you stop to eat.

But you have a point, why spend on 2000$ plane tickets...
The 2 days included the drive back,
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2005
2100 posts
230 upvotes
ncr
Rothesay wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 9:05 am
There are pros and cons.

Pros: You definitely save on the flying cost if you were to sail out of Baltimore. Also, you can do a pre or post cruise side trip to Washington DC as it is only an hour away from Baltimore.

Cons: You will be sailing on the Grandeur where facilities/activities for kids are somewhat limited. Aside from the kids club, the rock climbing wall and the pool, there isn't really a whole lot for the kids to do even in warmer weather. And if you're sailing during the colder months, the kids wouldn't even have access to a pool because it will be too cold to use the outside one, and the heated one in the solarium is adults only. This is especially important because 4 out of the 6 sea days for this cruise will occurs in the colder climate zone.

If the schedule works, you may want to look at the Jan 19, 2018 9 days sailing out of NJ on the Anthem. It should run approximately the same cost as what was quoted to you for the 12 days out of Baltimore. Yes, the itinerary is boring, but NJ is drivable, and the Anthem is also designed and built as a cold weather ship where there are so many indoor things to do like Trapeze, bumper car, escape room, indoor swimming, and a sky diving simulation that you can use even during the colder sea days.
Yea, we're going on the anthem around february... saw a couple of clips on youtube and it is quite cold at the beginning of the trip. It'll be real different experience when you board a cruise ship to start a vacation in the snow.

What we're planning to do, is some sightseeing in new york couple of days prior to sail date. But what to see in new york in the middle of winter?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2005
2100 posts
230 upvotes
ncr
Faeton wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 9:06 pm
FWIW I highly recommend Royal Caribbean cruises for families. Their kid program is fantastic (so much so they'll probably not want to hang out with you) and the facilities are top notch. The food I find is (much) better than resorts and the entertainment is shockingly professional and talented (like finalists of the X-Factor, AGT or American Idol =). There's so much stuff to do on the boats (which are really floating cities) for everybody that you can barely do it all. That including ice skating (there's another dimension to it when the boat is rocking!), wall climbing, Flow-Rider (which is ridiculously fun) and just relaxing at the pools/hot tubs

I personally like RCI above Norwegian (they're not bad but RCI I find better), Carnival (too party for me) and Disney (it's more geared purely towards kids and it's now $$$). I'm booked for Feb 2018 Oasis of the Sea... that would be cruise #5 for my spoiled 5yo son so if you have questions about cruising with young kids (he's been on one every year of his life) just PM me.
What i found recently in all the new ships is the introduction of water slides. Harmony of the sea from RCI have 4 super cool ones.. and then the other day i saw a suggested facebook post from norwegian that have some really cool looking ones too. It's a lot more fun than just a regular pool on the ship.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2005
2100 posts
230 upvotes
ncr
GateGuardian wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:47 pm
....From Vancouver, they have Alaska cruises and repositioning cruises... closest cruise port from Toronto would be Quebec City or NYC
hawaii too.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
1036 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
s1301950 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 10:38 am
What i found recently in all the new ships is the introduction of water slides. Harmony of the sea from RCI have 4 super cool ones.. and then the other day i saw a suggested facebook post from norwegian that have some really cool looking ones too. It's a lot more fun than just a regular pool on the ship.
I was on the Norwegian Escape last year Feb (their newest ship then) and the waterslides are excellent for ages 7+. Their water play area (playground + water) was good too, though smaller than the upgraded Liberty of the Sea on RCI (and Harmony). I did find the layout of the Escape to be poor compared to RCI. On the Escape there only seemed to be 3 popular levels so lots of crowding there. RCI has done a good job spreading out everybody with their layout imo. Food was slightly better (teppenyakki was fun and tasty), service about the same. Kids camp was fantastic. Good vacation, I still give the edge to RCI

Do note that the newer ships /newly refurbed (Harmony, Liberty, Anthem, etc) are more expensive than the older non-upgraded waterplay ships. IMO the Flowrider is 10x better than a waterslide
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2005
2100 posts
230 upvotes
ncr
Faeton wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 10:54 am
I was on the Norwegian Escape last year Feb (their newest ship then) and the waterslides are excellent for ages 7+. Their water play area (playground + water) was good too, though smaller than the upgraded Liberty of the Sea on RCI (and Harmony). I did find the layout of the Escape to be poor compared to RCI. On the Escape there only seemed to be 3 popular levels so lots of crowding there. RCI has done a good job spreading out everybody with their layout imo. Food was slightly better (teppenyakki was fun and tasty), service about the same. Kids camp was fantastic. Good vacation, I still give the edge to RCI

Do note that the newer ships /newly refurbed (Harmony, Liberty, Anthem, etc) are more expensive than the older non-upgraded waterplay ships. IMO the Flowrider is 10x better than a waterslide
Oh, i'm the same in terms of quality of the ship. I brought up norweigian because of the slides i saw on their promotional clip. I would pick RCI over them..

I had my first experience with flow rider on allure.. didn't like it 'cause i sucked at it :) and the line was long.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1246 posts
100 upvotes
I'll echo a few of the other users on here in that RCL is a very nice cruise line for families. We did a 7-night on the Oasis of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale last November and it was fantastic. Lots of activities, lots of pools, lots of food.

Our kids liked it better than the 2 previous Disney cruises (Magic and Fantasy), which is good because I don't think we can afford Di$ney anymore!

In fairness, I will point out that RCL has also bumped their prices - I checked the same cruise we took last year and it was almost $700 more.
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1736 posts
166 upvotes
Just wondering, is no one afraid of the Zika virus? I checked and its heavly saturated in the carribean area.
Life is short make it long
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3034 posts
454 upvotes
darkmagician wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 11:42 am
Just wondering, is no one afraid of the Zika virus? I checked and its heavly saturated in the carribean area.
I had to cancel my cruise booked in Feb because of this. We're done having kids but have newborn twins that would be 9 months old at that point - effects of Zika on newborn developing brains still not known so not going to chance it.

But for those that have kids that are older I don't think there is any cause for concern