Expired Hot Deals

[Royal Caribbean] Cruise Sale. 50% off Second Guest and Kids Sail Free.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7898 posts
953 upvotes
Markham
darkmagician wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 11:42 am
Just wondering, is no one afraid of the Zika virus? I checked and its heavly saturated in the carribean area.
That's why no Caribbean or Mexico, Cuba or even Miami for me.
I booked RC for Mediterranean cruise to Venice, Crotia and Greece.

Last year, we went to Hawaii and Vegas. (not a cruise obviously). We picked the non Zika affected area. Next year, I may go to Bermuda.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7898 posts
953 upvotes
Markham
rinse wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:30 pm
I had to cancel my cruise booked in Feb because of this. We're done having kids but have newborn twins that would be 9 months old at that point - effects of Zika on newborn developing brains still not known so not going to chance it.
Good call, the consequence is huge to take the risk.
I know some family have kid a toddler of 2-3 years old still going to Caribbean Cruise with the little boy. A bit irresponsible if you ask me.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1731 posts
166 upvotes
rinse wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:30 pm
I had to cancel my cruise booked in Feb because of this. We're done having kids but have newborn twins that would be 9 months old at that point - effects of Zika on newborn developing brains still not known so not going to chance it.

But for those that have kids that are older I don't think there is any cause for concern
We wanted to book with a group of 3 family to the carribean cuz the price for Oasis of the Sea was reasonable, until one mentioned the risk of Zika. That was a instant no go for all of us. *sigh....* next time
Last edited by darkmagician on Aug 3rd, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short make it long
Apr 12, 2007
113 posts
22 upvotes
I booked on the last sale they had and the prices now are more expensive. Plus I still have the option to cancel
We are going in January, I do have kids (12, 10, 7) and I wasn't too concerned about Zika Virus. Should I be?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3033 posts
454 upvotes
krazy_leb wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 1:02 pm
I booked on the last sale they had and the prices now are more expensive. Plus I still have the option to cancel
We are going in January, I do have kids (12, 10, 7) and I wasn't too concerned about Zika Virus. Should I be?
At those ages I think you are fine.
Jan 28, 2011
87 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Zika is dangerous on newborn and pregnant woman. I don't think it's dangerous on other person then normal mosquitoes...
Oct 10, 2009
114 posts
19 upvotes
Hamilton
We were getting everyone together for a cruise until Zika was brought up here. Totally forgot about that problem. With our boy being only 10 months, we're not comfortable with the risks, even if minor. Sigh, maybe next year.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1731 posts
166 upvotes
Myrandor wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 6:00 pm
Zika is dangerous on newborn and pregnant woman. I don't think it's dangerous on other person then normal mosquitoes...
Also women and men planning to get have children soon. Its unknown how long the virus will exist in the host. Its just a too big of a risk to take on.
Life is short make it long
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9963 posts
4280 upvotes
Southern Ontario
cayolargo wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 8:26 am
Reading few pages seams for a family of 4 with 2 kids between 6 and 3 y.o will come around 1800.
Which one is the cheapest departure place to fly?
And flying is full price for kids too.
Because at this point if you spend other 1500 in flights maybe is cheaper go for all inclusive (most location s have kids free too)
You're in Burlington? We use https://www.southwest.com/ out of Buffalo, park there, liberal baggage allowance.

We fly the day before, rent an SUV using carrentalsavers and usually stay at a hotel geared towards cruisers with full breakfast in the morning. You can drop the vehicle off at port (Hertz, Avis office etc) and shuttle to your ship. The rental generally costs more to pickup from port when going home.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9963 posts
4280 upvotes
Southern Ontario
s1301950 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 10:34 am
Yea, we're going on the anthem around february... saw a couple of clips on youtube and it is quite cold at the beginning of the trip. It'll be real different experience when you board a cruise ship to start a vacation in the snow.

What we're planning to do, is some sightseeing in new york couple of days prior to sail date. But what to see in new york in the middle of winter?
Skating at Rockefeller, go to an iconic NY diner/famous NY restaurant, a kid friendly broadway show

http://www.broadway.com/shows/tickets/? ... d-friendly
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3033 posts
454 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 8:18 pm
You're in Burlington? We use https://www.southwest.com/ out of Buffalo, park there, liberal baggage allowance.

We fly the day before, rent an SUV using carrentalsavers and usually stay at a hotel geared towards cruisers with full breakfast in the morning. You can drop the vehicle off at port (Hertz, Avis office etc) and shuttle to your ship. The rental generally costs more to pickup from port when going home.
Yup - we've done this for all 8 cruises we've been on. Always fly in a day early - get some shopping done, have a nice dinner and a relaxing evening. Takes the stress out of flying in on the day of the cruise.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2490 posts
427 upvotes
josb0513 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 2:19 pm
Anyone tried cruising in Europe during Nov-December time? We have done number of Caribbean cruises and always wanted to try Mediterranean / Europe via cruise. Not sure what excursions we can try during that season. Thanks in advance.
I did Greek Isles in late October last year , weather was warm but windy. We were travelling with our little one first time, so we opted out of excursions completely as all the ports were pretty walkable. Kotor and Mykonos were our favourites, rest were a bit meh. Hanging out and exploring was great though, no rush and at our own pace.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2491 posts
337 upvotes
Nepean
rinse wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 8:50 pm
Yup - we've done this for all 8 cruises we've been on. Always fly in a day early - get some shopping done, have a nice dinner and a relaxing evening. Takes the stress out of flying in on the day of the cruise.
Excellent advice. So many people try to fly in late the night before or the morning of to save one night hotel but it just makes things stressful. A delay in our flight may result in a missed cruise.
Uber is a great option to get to port too. If you have a car, save yourself some money and stay a few minutes further away is my advice too. In Fort Lauderdale there is such premium for staying close to port. 15-20 minutes away can save you $100. We stayed in Plantation close to Sawgrass Mills Outlet for shopping before cruise. A nice 20 minute drive to port the morning of.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7898 posts
953 upvotes
Markham
bhrm wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 8:22 am
I did Greek Isles in late October last year , weather was warm but windy. We were travelling with our little one first time, so we opted out of excursions completely as all the ports were pretty walkable. Kotor and Mykonos were our favourites, rest were a bit meh. Hanging out and exploring was great though, no rush and at our own pace.
Did you depart from Venice? Did you stay prior or after your cruise at Venice for a bit?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2005
2097 posts
229 upvotes
ncr
my youngest will be 5 year old at the time of the cruise. Will zika be a factor?