Expired Hot Deals

[Royal Caribbean] Cruise Sale. 50% off Second Guest and Kids Sail Free.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9673 posts
3994 upvotes
Southern Ontario
s1301950 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:19 am
my youngest will be 5 year old at the time of the cruise. Will zika be a factor?
A study followed 158 US children under 18 who acquired Zika during travel (which is safe to say the same socioeconomic and health status as us), 2 were hospitalized, a 1 and 4y old. All recovered, no apparent long term damage. Symptoms were rash, fever, joint pain. No GBS.

You'll have to decide on your own what that means in terms of risk to your family. It will not stop us from taking our kids traveling, we just do our best to protect them from mosquito bites, much the same as protecting them locally against ticks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2462 posts
330 upvotes
Nepean
Zika has not stopped us either with kids. Our kids were all 3 and over though. If you are in a mosquito infested area then bring repellent. In our trips to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Mexico I have never actually been bitten. People in our group maybe a couple times. If you are doing an excursion into an infested area then there is more concerns imho. We also discovered that luckily when we were in Cozumel visiting the ruins that Feb was not mosquito season. We brought repellent but did not need it at all.
You decide how much "risk" you are comfortable with.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2473 posts
414 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:10 am
Did you depart from Venice? Did you stay prior or after your cruise at Venice for a bit?
Departed from Venice as we took a red eye direct from Toronto, but unfortunately was cold and rainy so didn't venture out (we both have been anyways). However what was awesome was having dinner with a window seat as the ship disembarked!

What people usually do especially if it's your first time, stay a day extra before you disembark.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2473 posts
414 upvotes
Cyclic wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 6:33 pm
We were getting everyone together for a cruise until Zika was brought up here. Totally forgot about that problem. With our boy being only 10 months, we're not comfortable with the risks, even if minor. Sigh, maybe next year.
For those who aren't cool with Zika (i'm not!), consider Bermuda! Great itinerary and great island. Zika free and still "carribean-ish"
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2005
2064 posts
225 upvotes
ncr
southnam wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 11:05 am
Zika has not stopped us either with kids. Our kids were all 3 and over though. If you are in a mosquito infested area then bring repellent. In our trips to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Mexico I have never actually been bitten. People in our group maybe a couple times. If you are doing an excursion into an infested area then there is more concerns imho. We also discovered that luckily when we were in Cozumel visiting the ruins that Feb was not mosquito season. We brought repellent but did not need it at all.
You decide how much "risk" you are comfortable with.
From all my cruise experience (> 10 cruises), mosquitoes issues were the least encountered issues, since we stay on the boat most of the time. But i mean if you go on excursion like zip lining, tours on locations with thick vegetation, then your encounter would be a lot more likely.
Apr 15, 2003
332 posts
10 upvotes
We just booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise. Have sailed with disney 3 times and loved it. Our kids will be 13 and 15 at the time of the sailing next march and currently they have 8pm or my time dining available. has anyone done the mytime dining and would they recommend it? Also, we always enjoyed a meal in the Disney adults only palo resaurant, what restaurant would you recommend on the Oasis of the seas?

any feedback or tips are appreciated,

thanks,
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3019 posts
445 upvotes
sandals99 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 3:24 pm
We just booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise. Have sailed with disney 3 times and loved it. Our kids will be 13 and 15 at the time of the sailing next march and currently they have 8pm or my time dining available. has anyone done the mytime dining and would they recommend it? Also, we always enjoyed a meal in the Disney adults only palo resaurant, what restaurant would you recommend on the Oasis of the seas?

thanks,
I did my time dining last cruise and it was fine. We like to eat early so reserved a table at 6pm every night and ended up with the same server the whole cruise; so it was like we had early dining.

On Oasis I'd recommend Chops Grille
Apr 15, 2003
332 posts
10 upvotes
so on the mytime dining, you can still reserve a time to eat? didn't realize that. I'm just a bit intimated by the size of the ship, on disney, there's probably a couple thousand passengers, but i hear on the oasis, it is 6,000. cautiously looking forward to it. any other tips or tricks i should know about?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3019 posts
445 upvotes
sandals99 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 4:36 pm
so on the mytime dining, you can still reserve a time to eat? didn't realize that. I'm just a bit intimated by the size of the ship, on disney, there's probably a couple thousand passengers, but i hear on the oasis, it is 6,000. cautiously looking forward to it. any other tips or tricks i should know about?
Yup you can reserve times online 90 days out I believe
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9673 posts
3994 upvotes
Southern Ontario
sandals99 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 3:24 pm

thanks,
Our kids are younger but we did the same as you, went on a few DCL's before RCI.

Differences we noticed, they don't give you lanyards on RCI, only the cards, it's a little touch but so convenient when you're used to it, we're bringing our own next time. It was a bit of a nuisance using the Freestyle machines at specific locations when pop is free on DCL, forget your cup = no pop from the machine (the cup has a chip in it), or you have to show your card to the bartender somewhere who gives you limited fountain pop choices, slows things down over getting it yourself. DCL food by the pool is better, and on Anthem, Johnny Rockets isn't free, there's no other nearby lunch choice. There's nothing like Palo especially their amazing brunch. As you know on DCL, it's bring as much alcohol on board as you want as long as the bag fits through the scanner. And if you buy at port, RCI takes it until you're done cruising, not that we drink much and I don't, but I did buy for friends and cruise beer is $$$.

As for dining, we often saw lineups for MyTime, you are subject to demand, or you might get lucky and walk in, whereas we did Traditional at 8pm which allowed us to have full excursion days without having to rush back and get ready for dinner. Plenty of snack options when you first get back, or on non-excursion days we might have a late lunch. A later dinner and you're never hungry at bedtime. At Traditional dining, your seats are always ready for you. The food comes immediately, and you definitely get the same waiter and assistant. They get to know all your preferences and will have things ready before, and do things for you during without you asking.

I agree with rinse, we ate at Chops twice, reminds me of Ruth Chris, fancy apps, sides, desserts etc not like anywhere else on the ship.
Apr 15, 2003
332 posts
10 upvotes
thank you all so much, that is great information. We certainly liked not having to pay for pop and being able to bring your own alcohol on board. I like your idea, and I think we'll change our dining to the late option.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9673 posts
3994 upvotes
Southern Ontario
sandals99 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 4:53 pm
thank you all so much, that is great information. We certainly liked not having to pay for pop and being able to bring your own alcohol on board. I like your idea, and I think we'll change our dining to the late option.
It's cheaper to buy the pop package beforehand if someone in your group or all of you drink it at every meal and/or like it anytime. The Freestyle machine dispenses at least 50 different kinds; versions of Coke, Minute Maid, Dasani flavours and their diet equivalents I never knew existed. We bought 2 packages and that was fine for 4 of us, mainly for our kids. One thing I recommend is bringing S'well bottles, nice and cold on excursions.

Oh and the shows are not as good as Disney, and I'm not a Disney fanatic, I just appreciate good broadway-like choreography, singing and props.
Apr 15, 2003
332 posts
10 upvotes
Thanks for the tips on the S'well bottles, got a couple of those. Might have to consider the pop package. Those Disney shows are very good, always enjoyed watching them.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2473 posts
414 upvotes
sandals99 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 4:36 pm
Reserve if you want the same table with same waiters, it was great with our little one. They always made sure our little one had a milk carton and some fruit to snack on while we ordered our food. Food came speedy fast as well.

Reserving doesn't cost anything...worse case just cancel it. Plus we had a window seat which was amazing!
Nov 17, 2006
26 posts
3 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 8:22 am
I did Greek Isles in late October last year , weather was warm but windy. We were travelling with our little one first time, so we opted out of excursions completely as all the ports were pretty walkable. Kotor and Mykonos were our favourites, rest were a bit meh. Hanging out and exploring was great though, no rush and at our own pace.
Have you done baltic cruise? If yes, which one you prefer?