[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1122 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto

RSS / Atom Feed for Hot Deals Forum with Thread Start Date

Hi Fellow RFDers,

i was looking for a way to create a widget on Android which shows redflagdeals hot deals forum sorted by thread start date (descending) i.e. hot-deals-f9/?sk=tt&rfd_sk=tt&sd=d. I've just switched back from iOS to Android and I used to have this working on my One Plus One a few years ago where I could easily see the latest deals. I'm not sure if I used an RSS App to then plug in an RSS feed URL or if I used the RFD App or RFD Forums App from the Google Play Store. I've tried the apps and it doesn't give me what I'm looking for as it shows the last commented hot deal and it's in a flip card style. Maybe the app changed?

Hoping someone else knows what i'm talking about and has a solution? Phone is Google Pixel 3 with the Nova Launcher.

TIA!
8 replies
Feb 24, 2016
107 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Both the Android Deals and Forums apps have the Hot Deals widget. I'm pretty sure they are sorted by thread start date.

How else would the widget work if not using a card view? Just a scrollable list?

The problem with the RSS feed is that it doesn't update as often and it doesn't know if you're logged in, so it won't be able to give you more personalized results. (Hidden support, replied, etc.)

Show an example of what you think the widget should look like and we can try it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1122 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Essentially it would look like the mobile version of the hot deals forum sorted in descending order by thread start date. I used to have it on my old phone a few years ago and I can't for the life of me remember how I got it on there! It was perfect b/c it would "grey out" / "unbold" / or "mark as read" (some indicator) once I've scrolled past it indicating it wasn't new. One of the things I like about sorting by thread start date is I can see new deals as they pop up without having to shuffle through old deals with a lot of on going comments.

The current RFD Hot Deals and Forum App sort not by thread start date, but by last comment date. If there's a way to have an option to sort by thread start date, then that can also work as an alternative.

It would look like the second screenshot inside the widget of the first screenshot and be a scrollable widget. I've tried to use an app called RSS Widget, but when I plugged in the RSS feed for RFD, it just showed me the deals on the front page of the main website. If you can publish an RSS (or Atom?) feed that is sorted by Thread Start Date Descendingly, then I can use that to plug in.

Screenshot_20190130-151301.png
Screenshot_20190130-150934.png
Feb 24, 2016
107 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
We'll be looking into this issue shortly an initial release in the upcoming weeks. Please join the Beta program for both apps to get the update much sooner.

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1122 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
RFDMobile wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 2:55 pm
We'll be looking into this issue shortly an initial release in the upcoming weeks. Please join the Beta program for both apps to get the update much sooner.

Thanks!
Thanks! How do I get on the Beta program?