• Jan 11th, 2010 6:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3044 posts
368 upvotes

The Ruins of Detroit

http://www.marchandmeffre.com/detroit/

There's some really inspiring photos there. It's motivated me to try and make a trip to Detroit to take some similar shots. I've messaged a few people from Flickr (from Detroit) and might make a road trip out of it in a month or two.

Might have space for one or two others if anyone is interested.

Neil
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
17 replies
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
What sad photos.

Especially the abandoned kids' library - still stocked with books, like everybody ran away and never came back.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5193 posts
1021 upvotes
Toronto
neltron3030 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2010 8:24 pm
http://www.marchandmeffre.com/detroit/

There's some really inspiring photos there. It's motivated me to try and make a trip to Detroit to take some similar shots. I've messaged a few people from Flickr (from Detroit) and might make a road trip out of it in a month or two.

Might have space for one or two others if anyone is interested.

Neil
Don't forget the armed security guard. Especially with all of that camera equipment. I'm only half kidding here.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6879 posts
1553 upvotes
T dot 6
Some really beautiful buildings there. Damn shame.

You do not want to be in downtown Detroit at night. Seriously.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Nov 8, 2003
284 posts
110 upvotes
realcanadian wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 8:38 am
I also came across a revealing article on The Onion that describes one of Detroit's newest slums. From reading this, you'd think you they were talking about some third world country.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/de ... irst_brick
....You're just joking right? Please tell me you are being sarcastic or something....

If you're being serious that you think that article is real, then just one suggestion....google and find out the 'the onion' is all about...

For example, an article on their frontpage today:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news_br ... _killed_in
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3140 posts
120 upvotes
Mississauga
Awesome photos... always wanted to do some urban exploring and photography. Anyway, like someone mentioned, I would also be very careful in certain parts of Detroit as well from all the stories I've kept hearing.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Blackmajik wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 11:36 am
Awesome photos... always wanted to do some urban exploring and photography. Anyway, like someone mentioned, I would also be very careful in certain parts of Detroit as well from all the stories I've kept hearing.
I wouldn't take myself and my camera gear to some isolated, rundown, derelict building in a place I don't know, even if I'd been invited by some locals. They'd still be strangers, so how could you be sure you could trust them in one of America's most dangerous cities?

Besides, looking at the sad lack of maintenance you can never be sure that the ceiling isn't about to cave in on you. Wear a hard hat at a minimum.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7100 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
Its pretty sad, a lot of great architecture that most cities could only dream of having is just rotting away.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30216 posts
1403 upvotes
Fernando Po
OP, word of warning before you go rummaging around in those old buildings, if they catch you, you'll get tossed in the slammer for a few hours. They're cracking down on people going into these buildings. There's now a barb wire fence around the train station to keep people out. But it should be interesting anyway. Haven't been in Detroit (or the States) since 1993 (lived in Detroit from '62-'70).
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2006
1785 posts
31 upvotes
Nice photos. Some look as if the last people left those places like that knowing that photographers would one day capture them with a camera.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3044 posts
368 upvotes
I've actually reached out to a few photographers through Flickr and have picked their brains a bit. From my understanding, there isn't enough resources to put into security/police at a lot of these sites. Security, if they exist, will simply tell you to leave. The likelihood of you running into other urban explorers is high as well.

One guy from Flickr offered to show me around, which is cool too. It definitely would suck if I got arrested or something.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2853 posts
65 upvotes
Windsor
Very interesting photos. Reminds me of some of the photos I have seen from Russia. Everything looks like they just walked out the door and never came back. You would think they could sell the stuff in the buildings.

I've never been to Detroit since my wife refuses to go even though she grew up in Windsor. Detroit just scares her too much, so I would be very careful with expensive camera equipment.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
cdnNick wrote:
Jan 11th, 2010 10:28 am
Very interesting photos. Reminds me of some of the photos I have seen from Russia. Everything looks like they just walked out the door and never came back. You would think they could sell the stuff in the buildings.

I've never been to Detroit since my wife refuses to go even though she grew up in Windsor. Detroit just scares her too much, so I would be very careful with expensive camera equipment.
Not to mention dangers like asbestos. Another possible explanation for the hasty departures.