• Jul 27th, 2018 2:15 pm
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18143 posts
1473 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:32 pm
Behind Disney’s Play for Fox: Determination to Beat Netflix
Entertainment giant’s priority is now remaking its TV business to compete for streaming viewers

https://www.wsj.com/articles/streaming- ... 1510137002
There's a paywall but you get the gist of the story.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9760 posts
2122 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:32 pm
Behind Disney’s Play for Fox: Determination to Beat Netflix
Entertainment giant’s priority is now remaking its TV business to compete for streaming viewers

https://www.wsj.com/articles/streaming- ... 1510137002
Haz wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:27 am
There's a paywall but you get the gist of the story.
Roughly the same take was posted a day before without paywall(s)
jenviea wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:22 am
If the trade analyses are right, Fox would seem to have the upper hand
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... se-1055480
https://www.thewrap.com/real-reason-dis ... s-buy-fox/
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3214 posts
338 upvotes
If Disney does acquire Fox, I do hope they cast a new Wolverine. I enjoyed Jackman as the character and if Disney acquires the rights again, they will likely pumping out more a lot more X-Men movies. This would mean the actor playing him would likely be assuming the role for the next 5-10 years.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated July 2018
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17007 posts
411 upvotes
I'm all for Disney getting the rights to X-Men and fantastic 4. Unify the universes. A true Silver surfer movie with Galactus... I can only dream. I suspect it would take some time to build up to Galactus though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1852 posts
322 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 11:53 am
I'm all for Disney getting the rights to X-Men and fantastic 4. Unify the universes. A true Silver surfer movie with Galactus... I can only dream. I suspect it would take some time to build up to Galactus though.
Yes please. They owe us for giving us that crappy Galactus cloud. Ugh.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
This would be the darkest timeline.

I really enjoy the Fox superhero movies, and I don't trust Disney to be able to pull off a Logan or Deadpool correctly. The X-Men movies have always been the middleground between DCEU and MCU with a good blend of what makes both those universes good.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1852 posts
322 upvotes
LinkPersona wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 3:23 pm
This would be the darkest timeline.

I really enjoy the Fox superhero movies, and I don't trust Disney to be able to pull off a Logan or Deadpool correctly. The X-Men movies have always been the middleground between DCEU and MCU with a good blend of what makes both those universes good.
I'm a big fan of the X-Men franchise, but did we forget about the duds like Origins, Last Stand, and even Apocalypse? And Fox may have done well with X-men, but we shouldn't forgive them for making every single one of those Fantastic Four movies.

Disney loves to make money, especially now with ESPN dragging them down. Who's to say they don't have a change of heart and allow Marvel to have its category of R rated movies? No one knows.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Dec 22, 2014
616 posts
164 upvotes
Regina, SK
As much as I like some of what Fox has done with X-Men and Deadpool I am willing to sacrifice that if it means Disney/Marvel can get FF4 rights and associated characters - more for the purpose of better adaptations of Galactus and Silver Surfer than anything.

That being said, the Marvel vs DC war often leaves the Fox marvel movies on the sideline in a very small part of the discussion. Fox with the X-Men were really a major part of the kick start to comic book movies within the past decade and a half. They have always been the biggest risk takers creatively. Probably why they have managed to make some duds along the way. Even with this in mind I still think X-men and FF4 being under the Disney/Marvel banner is good for both groups of characters. The divide has run its course it will help to have a bit of refresh. As long as we get a lot of the Fox movies currently in production too, if a deal is struck in the near future.

Given the way Disney has spent billions on obtaining assets I feel like the only way a deal doesn't happen is if Fox simply decides not to sell.
Oct 28, 2016
117 posts
20 upvotes
These film industries practically control the whole movie world. I don't think this much power and control should belong to a single company. Disney is already big enough. I know it's better for Disney but I just don't like this.