Home & Garden

Run the gas pipe for the gas stove

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2016 6:36 pm
Dec 4, 2016
17 posts
2 upvotes

Run the gas pipe for the gas stove

I wonder if I could alter the gas pipe by myself? I am living in Aurora.
If i could do so, do i have to have the piping inspected?
11 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
You can run the pipe yourself BUT you can't make a connection to live. You need a licenses gas inspector to leak test it and do the final connections.

I looked into that until I found someone that would do that for me... I ran everything but the final piece and he leak tested and ticketed it.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1310 posts
761 upvotes
Oshawa
You sure about that?

Personnel performing installation, operation, and maintenance work shall be properly trained in such functions.

I wonder if a guy coming on here asking whether or not he can do the work is properly trained?
Jerico wrote: You can run the pipe yourself BUT you can't make a connection to live. You need a licenses gas inspector to leak test it and do the final connections.

I looked into that until I found someone that would do that for me... I ran everything but the final piece and he leak tested and ticketed it.
Aug 22, 2012
836 posts
903 upvotes
Mark Town
Put some soapy water over the joint. If you do not see bubble come up, there is no leak.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
jonnyb wrote: You sure about that?

Personnel performing installation, operation, and maintenance work shall be properly trained in such functions.

I wonder if a guy coming on here asking whether or not he can do the work is properly trained?
My dude told me what to do. If I didn't do it, I assume he wouldn't have ticketed it. That's his livelihood.

But really, the amount of work it was vs just having him run another pipe all his own for me wasn't worth my effort... just get them to do it.
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
90 upvotes
When you say "alter" the gas pipe....what are you planning to do to it? Extend it, move it over a few inches, add a whole new run to a new appliance?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
jonnyb wrote: You sure about that?

I may be wrong about what you are quoting, but is that not from the Canadian Standards Association - CSA B149 Installation Code Committee. That "code" is what is followed by government or the governing body in making their legislation, this being the T.S.S.A. in Ontario. This "code" has no enforcement or punishment clauses within its contents.

Specifically in Ontario it is Ontario Regulation 215/01 that legislates the gas fitters, etc (Fuel Industry Certificates). O.R 215/01 (S. 55(1)) does not authorize the home owner of a single detachment dwelling to connect a pipe line to the gas service, it does however allow for the connection of an appliance and that it subsequently has to be inspected before putting into use.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Nov 21, 2009
139 posts
27 upvotes
You are not allowed to connect to the gas service. The gas service is from the street to your house, includes the meter.... you can connect to the house line. You can install your own appliance, provided your house is not rented, it is a single family residence and you have the install inspected by the gas inspector ( utility ).
Edit. It has to be initially fired by the inspector, which would be done during the inspection.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
enwhyRFD wrote: So if I disconnected the flex hose to move the stove, I have to get a licensed gas fitter to put it back on?

The flex hose looks like this:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.gas- ... 36740.html
You can do it yourself. I did it myself. There's a kit at HD that comes with packets of soapy water to help with the leak test. It also comes with a packet of paste for the fittings on the sides that connect directly to the stove & directly to the gas line. Don't put the stuff on the side of the fittings attached to the bendy pipe. There are instructions included in that kit.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5380 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
Spend the $100 or whatever and pay someone to do it and put their tag on it.

People sure like to save small money on important things. Install your own flooring, do your own drywall. Why save $100 on a gas hookup?

I paid $300 or so to have a new line run to my gas stove when I did my kitchen and I paid $50 to some guy out in the country to connect the propane stove at the cottage. Outside BBQ? Sure do it yourself. Inside where you live sleep and have your family? How much are they worth?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)