• May 29th, 2018 10:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3425 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto

Running Clothes

Hi! Not sure if this should go under clothing or Fitness.

I've been running indoors for a few months now (at home). Am planning to start running outside and run a half marathon in Oct (Toronto Waterfront).

Went in to Running Room to look and their clothing is way too expensive!

Where do runners here buy clothes from and what do I need to start running say from May to Oct outdoors?

Male runner :)

Thanks!
25 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3425 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto

I've been running indoors for a few months now (at home). Am planning to start running outside and run a half marathon in Oct (Toronto Waterfront).

Where do runners here buy clothes from and what do I need to start running say from May to Oct outdoors?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1754 posts
450 upvotes
North York
You really don't need much. Uniqlo provides good quality items. When I run in cold temperatures, I use Under Armour Coldgear.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1754 posts
450 upvotes
North York
When I ran the Scotia Half, it was cold enough for me to wear some UA Cold Gear compression leggings and long sleeve shirt underneath my shirt and shorts. Cheap sweater on top. If I get too hot, I can throw it away mid-race and not care.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22349 posts
7382 upvotes
Toronto
Vaughan Mills or any outlet malls
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1101 posts
999 upvotes
Try Running Free on Denison at Esna park in Markham

Excellent sales advice, lots of selection and they have a nice clearance section of shoes and clothing.

They also have a bin for old shoes donation by the door
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12059 posts
1783 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Someone always posts threads in Hot Deals when there is a sale at adidas.ca. If u r lucky, u can snag someone's student discount code.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6480 posts
1033 upvotes
T dot 6
I would check out the Nike outlet at Dixie Outlet Mall. I picked up two pairs of Nike Pegasus shoes and a number of Nike dri fit tees for cheap. Personally I love dri-fit shirts and pretty much only run in them. I also have a few Adidas climacool shirts so if you can also check the Adidas outlets.

When you start running longer distances you might start chafing. Then you can start looking at running shorts that have liners (dont need underwear) and/or double lined socks. Because those are more specialize for running, it's hard to find a deal on those. I have found deals in the past for those on Mec.ca and Amazon.ca.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1397 posts
187 upvotes
I too went to the running room and yes it is pricey, I got some at Old Navy and Walmart, I really don’t care what I look when I run as long as I’m comfortable.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1424 posts
1034 upvotes
Running room is expensive. You can try online if you know what to buy or wait for end of season sales. Winners may have decent gear at decent prices.

Otherwise you dont need anything fancy for May to Oct. Just make sure to have the right shoes.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2661 posts
308 upvotes
Vancouver
2nding the winners suggestion. Usually they have brand name items like Nike, New Balance, Adidas, etc. Or check out the Nike outlet.

I would probably start with a pair of lightweight shorts and a synthetic sports shirt (dri-fit, etc). For shorts I prefer ones with a zipper so I can store my keys, id, cards, etc, when I run.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7423 posts
1353 upvotes
If you don't care for brands and design and just want them cheap, then Walmart. If you want a bit better quality and still cheap, then Costco.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
1576 posts
15276 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks!
Try http://www.runningfree.com/
Sep 23, 2010
152 posts
127 upvotes
T Dot
Leftover CRS race shirts are sometimes sold on race day.
They'll be selling them at Harry's if you can get to High Park next Sat.

"We will also be selling off race shirts from past years’ events. Get yours for $5/each or 3 for $10 (cash only)."
http://canadarunningseries.com/race-ros ... party-site

Honestly I'd suggest just getting the cheapest pieces that are comfortable, no need to spend money if you don't want to.
I did the STWM in Walmart socks and shorts and a race shirt. The only thing I'd strongly suggest spending on are good shoes.
Feb 8, 2017
404 posts
182 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 5:48 pm

Thanks!
if you just want to run outside may - oct you are probably OK to wear just shorts and shirts. i will double up my shirts (short sleeve over a long sleeve) if it's chilly in the morning, maybe a thin pair of gloves but i doubt you would use them much. i would also get a very thin lightweight running jacket that you can use when it's raining and it won't get too hot.

if you want to continue running outside over the winter than that's going to require a lot of extra clothing and will add up $ pretty fast.