Entrepreneurship & Small Business

running a hair salon out of your house? experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2018 11:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 6, 2004
166 posts

running a hair salon out of your house? experience?

my wife has thoughts of doing this. She is currently a hair stylist for a company. When I was overseas in Japan last summer I saw there were a few people who very nicel renovated space in their house to a mini hair salon with like 1 chair. I also have heard of others doing this in GVRD here. Has anyone had experience with this? sort of like a more personalized hair salon. Financially, is it worth doing compared to working for salary/commission at an already established hair salon? and most of all, would you have any issues with going to someone's house opposed to a public hair salon?
25 replies
Sep 16, 2007
253 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Several issues with having a salon in your house:

1. Insurance - if god forbid, something happen to your client inside your house, can your home/ business insurance cover it?

2. There are home based business that are legal and hair styling I believe is one that is not allowed, for safety reason as well as parking etc. I did a researched on this when I tried to open my own home spa.

3. Your wife will be limited to her close friends and their referral. And also male clients. As a woman, I would not feel comfortable having a male client in my house when i am the only one home.

4. Friends and their friends who come for the service will "linger" on, expect a snack maybe and a few drinks.

Although, it is very common to offer aesthetic services inside ones home. It has many downfalls. Salons and Spas offer chairs to rent. She can rent a chair for as low as 400 dollars and get the salon exposure and will benefit from the traffic.

My thoughts.

Imie
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15961 posts
618 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
I have a friend that does this, she seems to be getting big money, in a time span of less than 5 years, she went from Toyota Corolla to 2007 Acura MDX easily.
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Yep, most cities do not allow hair salons in residential areas. If you opt to do it anyway, be prepared to deal with the headaches from the city. As soon as the neighbors complain because of the parking and increased traffic the city will come down hard. Quite frankly, she'll make more money working in an established salon with a guranteed client base. Folks that go see someone in their home don't generally tip like they do in a salon. ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1203 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
CSK'sMom wrote:
Dec 12th, 2007 9:35 pm
Yep, most cities do not allow hair salons in residential areas. If you opt to do it anyway, be prepared to deal with the headaches from the city. As soon as the neighbors complain because of the parking and increased traffic the city will come down hard. Quite frankly, she'll make more money working in an established salon with a guranteed client base. Folks that go see someone in their home don't generally tip like they do in a salon. ;)
My hairdresser operates out of her basement.. I don't tip for the simple fact that the cash I give her is hers exclusively.. she made every penny of it without having to give most of it to the salon. Not to mention that I'd be surprised if much of it was even taxable...
Jan 25, 2004
972 posts
1 upvote
Jay-c wrote:
Dec 14th, 2007 11:28 am
My hairdresser operates out of her basement.. I don't tip for the simple fact that the cash I give her is hers exclusively.. she made every penny of it without having to give most of it to the salon. Not to mention that I'd be surprised if much of it was even taxable...
You obviously don't understand the intent of gratuity (tipping). My wife runs a small professional salon out of our home, her clients all tip the same that they did when she managed a salon downtown. If you're happy with the service she provides and she charges a competitive rate, what she does with her money is not your concern and holding back your gratuity because of this just makes you look like a cheapskate.
My eBay Feedback
Heatware ID SledBC
Jun 16, 2003
61 posts
7 upvotes
sledbc wrote:
Dec 15th, 2007 3:03 am
You obviously don't understand the intent of gratuity (tipping). My wife runs a small professional salon out of our home, her clients all tip the same that they did when she managed a salon downtown. If you're happy with the service she provides and she charges a competitive rate, what she does with her money is not your concern and holding back your gratuity because of this just makes you look like a cheapskate.

hmmmm doesn't she look like a cheapskate by running the salon from her home? But I bet she doesn't care rite?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6619 posts
2695 upvotes
I went to a home hair salon once. It was a very clandestine operation. They only took in customers with a reference from a past client. When I got to the house, we had to enter from the side entrance. Inside the person had a fairly professional setup with proper barber chairs, mirrors, et al... but it was a lot of hoops to jump through... just to get a hair cut.
Jan 25, 2004
972 posts
1 upvote
DesiDealer wrote:
Dec 30th, 2007 12:34 pm
hmmmm doesn't she look like a cheapskate by running the salon from her home? But I bet she doesn't care rite?
Not in the least, she has a proper one chair salon with a side entrance, sidewalk, etc...She works evenings and weekends and charges standard salon rates for our area and is busier than ever, one small advertisement and word of mouth, and within 2 months she was booked up 2 weeks in advance and its been like that for over a year. She runs proper salon software for her books on a computer at her checkout desk and streams satelite radio via the internet, has a small waiting area for 2 customers or children and takes visa/mc and debit with a proper POS machine.
Her customers love that she works in the evenings as well, she constantly gets comments on that. She also has former clients that come from as far as 75km away from where she used to work, with this business its all about customer loyalty.
My eBay Feedback
Heatware ID SledBC
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1828 posts
2 upvotes
DesiDealer wrote:
Dec 30th, 2007 12:34 pm
Fail.
Jul 20, 2007
801 posts
4 upvotes
Why would that fail? I smell potential success. ;)
Online discount brokerage(s) status:

=> QUESTRADE: Active (satisfied customer).
=> E*Trade Canada: Active (impressed so far).

QuesTrader (a.k.a. Uncanny Wizard, President and CEO of http://stockmagic.wordpress.com )
Jan 25, 2004
972 posts
1 upvote
Its ignorant people like DesiDealer that make me not want to help people on the internet. But others have helped me so I thought i might help the OP here.......
My eBay Feedback
Heatware ID SledBC
Aug 27, 2004
243 posts
14 upvotes
Sledbc

I think it is great that you want to help people out. Is this home based business operated legally?
Dec 23, 2006
987 posts
136 upvotes
Oshawa
My aunt runs a salon out of her home and from what I have heard it has been quite successful for her. I have been a couple of times to get my hair cut (she is the only one I will let cut my hair, lol), and it is really a stunning place.

As for Desi, keep in mind that while any of the profits go directly to the individual who runs a salon out of their home, they also have to pay for the materials that they use which are not free. My aunt does give gifts during the holidays to her clients, whether it be some smaller bottles of certain hair products, etc. it is more than a salon elsewhere might do.

I think it adds more of a personal touch going to someone who works out of their home. You don't feel as rushed.

I would post a bit more insight on this, however I have to run for now. Overall I say it is a worthwhile investment though.