Entrepreneurship & Small Business

running a hair salon out of your house? experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2018 11:33 am
Tags:
None
Jan 25, 2004
972 posts
1 upvote
Mr Sparkle wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2008 1:54 pm
Sledbc

I think it is great that you want to help people out. Is this home based business operated legally?
Of course, it doesn't make sense not to. My wife runs 100% above board, even claiming all her tips. She can write off a substantial portion of our use of home expenses as well as a large portion of her vehicle expenses. Also, she was able to take part in a program from EI here in BC where she received full EI benefits for the initial year of her startup since she had been on EI (maternity) in the year previous to her starting her business. She has a valid business license and our subdivision is zoned correctly for this type of business.
My eBay Feedback
Heatware ID SledBC
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
DesiDealer wrote:
Dec 30th, 2007 12:34 pm
hmmmm doesn't she look like a cheapskate by running the salon from her home? But I bet she doesn't care rite?
operating a home business and earning more money makes one a cheapskate now?
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
4 upvotes
Maybe I'm a cheapskate ... but I would probably be less inclined to tip at a home place as well. Not that it's something I think much about since I'm a guy. If someone is working at a salon then they often have set prices to work with and more expenses so I keep in mind that they probably aren't making a fortune when tipping.

If working from home, then you should be able to manage your price list and customer base yourself in such a way that you are making more money ... otherwise why else would you be working at home? Other than the convenience of it, I guess. Anyway, I would think a tip should be less important in this instance.

Of course, if the service was really good then one would always consider a tip.

I don't think a person should be condemned for not tipping. Obligatory tipping is a rather stupid thing in my mind. Many people no longer give tips for good service ... they give them because they feel it is expected.

Back to the OP. I think setting up a salon in your home is a great idea if you have the business sense to do it and know how to attract customers.
May 15, 2007
403 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
if you have the house space and can attract the customers then it's a great idea. home businesses have tons of benefits. write off a portion of rent/mortage, internet, cable tv, phone, car, insurance, list goes on.

My friend's mom use to run a salon in her place and I knew lots of people that loved it.
Dec 28, 2018
3 posts
I want to open up a home Salon. Just not sure on how to begin and what I need to do. From the legal and permit aspect. Any help would be appreciated
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9749 posts
6137 upvotes
Edmonton
Chaldogirl wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 3:08 pm
I want to open up a home Salon. Just not sure on how to begin and what I need to do. From the legal and permit aspect. Any help would be appreciated
Start by talking to your local municipality’s business licensing department. And your home insurer. You don’t give a location, so you make it hard for anyone to help you.

C
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14328 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
sledbc wrote:
Dec 15th, 2007 3:03 am
You obviously don't understand the intent of gratuity (tipping). My wife runs a small professional salon out of our home, her clients all tip the same that they did when she managed a salon downtown. If you're happy with the service she provides and she charges a competitive rate, what she does with her money is not your concern and holding back your gratuity because of this just makes you look like a cheapskate.
She's cheating all of us by not declaring the income. Not providing a gratuity is totally reasonable. In fact she should be giving a huge discount actually. Sheesh!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7847 posts
4802 upvotes
sledbc wrote:
Dec 15th, 2007 3:03 am
You obviously don't understand the intent of gratuity (tipping). My wife runs a small professional salon out of our home, her clients all tip the same that they did when she managed a salon downtown. If you're happy with the service she provides and she charges a competitive rate, what she does with her money is not your concern and holding back your gratuity because of this just makes you look like a cheapskate.
Lol did you tell the city you run a salon out of your house?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7847 posts
4802 upvotes
chilts wrote:
Jan 9th, 2008 6:04 pm
if you have the house space and can attract the customers then it's a great idea. home businesses have tons of benefits. write off a portion of rent/mortage, internet, cable tv, phone, car, insurance, list goes on.

My friend's mom use to run a salon in her place and I knew lots of people that loved it.
I bet you most of these places are run illegally and no
Income declared ... until Cra finally catches them...00