Cell Phones

Rural Ontario Internet Hubs, pricing and options?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 12:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2039 posts
626 upvotes
North York

Rural Ontario Internet Hubs, pricing and options?

Since the Robellus pages for selling hubs are quite unclear and misleading re contracts, device subsidies, per use pricing, I thought I'd just see if anyone else would share their experience with these services.

A peer indicated they turned it off during the winter when they weren't there but the Robellus pages don't seem to indicate that as a possibility. Looks like you just get to pay the 0-5gb usage fee of 60/mth during the months of your 3 year term that you didn't use it? Im betting this person is just rich and considers 60/mth instead of 90 to be a fair break..

Are there seasonal options? Maybe if you have your own hub hardware? Don't want to have this service 12mths a year and it seems very expensive and unlikely the cell cartel would allow this. Elderly parents would just like to be able to watch some netflix up north a few months year.

i saw posts that telus in AB and BC had some reasonable offers that didn't require contract but i guess there is nothing like that here?
1 reply
Mar 15, 2017
11 posts
16 upvotes
I have the Rogers hotspot, it's not ideal but there are not many options for someone who uses 100GB regularly. Roger actually has two plans, the lesser plan is $10 / month if not really used, but only allows for a max of 10GB/ month at $85/ month. So I wonder if they can switch between the plans between seasons?

Actually there's no contract for me. Maybe the 3 years refers to leasing the rocket hub? I can cancel anytime and pay the remaining lease term of the hub. I think they should be able to cancel it all together during the months they don't need it.

I'm also on the look out for options. If anyone know a plan that is bigger than 100GB let me know.