Home & Garden

rust in Dryer - getting on clothes - what to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2006 4:23 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3656 posts
226 upvotes
Georgetown

rust in Dryer - getting on clothes - what to do?

The dryer at the place I'm currently renting seems to be putting rust marks on laundry that is put in it...

When I looked at the back of the dryer with a flashlight, the coating seems to have worn away and there are rust patches on the back panel piece, and it looks like there could be heavy rust in the joint area (a space about a cm wide) between the drum and back panel - that is likely where the rust marks are coming from as they always seem to be short, narrow and slightly curved... like the laundry pushed in to this gap for a second and the rust rubbed off as it spun by...

Is there anything that can be done to take care of a rust problem like this in a laundry dryer?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
no definitive answer but you could try fixing it by .... use some 400 grit sandpaper to scuff up the surface rust .... wipe up the residue with a dry rag ... spray some high heat spray paint (pref 2 coats) ... let it REALLY dry ... do a cycle without any clothes (or maybe only a couple of rags to test it out).

You might get a week to a year out of it but the only long term solution is to replace the dryer.

Another alternative is to phone an appliance repair place and get their recommendation
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
1143 posts
1 upvote
your landlord/building management is responsible for replacing this unit. washers/dryers rely on that protective coat so once it's gone the machine's repair costs may exceed an entry-level replacement from futureshop. it's true you can purchase enamel paint to recoat that surface but honestly, i have never heard of rust rubbing off on clothes. did the previous tenants stone wash their jeans?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4667 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
get a new dryer?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3656 posts
226 upvotes
Georgetown
Getting a new dryer would be great! However, I do not yet know what type of hassles that may entail.... we just moved in and the owner lives overseas, and the property is supposedly handled by the owners lawyer - but the only person we dealt with was a real estate agent who was representing the property, but who is not the 'property manager'.

In other words, if the dryer needs to be replaced... it may be a real adventure to get it done (although I'm sure I could push through the process and get it done).... I just don't want to make waves with the new landlord and appear like whiney, high-maintainence tenants - because that's not what I am! If I can find a reasonable fix for this situation everyone can be happy... (and I don't want to go demanding a new dryer if this one can be easily fixed)

... just trying to be a good tenant here... :)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
1143 posts
1 upvote
i understand you situation but look at it this way: as a good tenant, you're responsible for keeping the appliances & property in good working order when you leave. you left a deposit to coverage damages when you leave...

another point is that you still have to report this malfunction to the property manager. make a phone call then send a snail mail copy to the owner/lawyer who will take appropriate steps to correct this situation. your rent covers situations like this and a lawyer will understand his clients are responsible for making repairs/replacements. you should always protect yourself -- it goes both ways --