• Jan 2nd, 2010 1:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 22, 2008
472 posts
1 upvote

Rust Module is this somekind of scam?

Does anybody uses those rust module and have no rust marks anywhere in their car body?

How about stone chip are they work?
27 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15904 posts
1267 upvotes
GTA West
cq358 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2009 11:07 pm
Rust Module is this somekind of scam?
Not if you're driving a boat... that's what they're for.

On automobiles they're pretty useless.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
May 22, 2008
472 posts
1 upvote
I just read the two reports from Krown. I know they will be bias but the result are the same as you just said. Unless your car is driving in sea water other wise you are SOL.

My friend got a new car and the F&I manager tries to sell him with this one of a kind space age anti rust device. IT COST $500.

But if this thing is so magic, why don't GM TOYOTA HONDA and other manufacture use this on their cars so they can even save lot of $$ from maintain paint booth in their factory..reduce the cost of building the car .. or might even get GM from bankrupted.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15904 posts
1267 upvotes
GTA West
cq358 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2009 11:29 pm
But if this thing is so magic, why don't GM TOYOTA HONDA and other manufacture use this on their cars so they can even save lot of $$ from maintain paint booth in their factory..reduce the cost of building the car .. or might even get GM from bankrupted.
Well keep in mind that Ontario is just one of many markets. They sell the same cars in the Arizona desert where rustproofing by any method would just be a waste of time. It's in Ontario that we drive through saltwater in the Winter.

But regardless, I view this product as snake oil. They push it so hard because it has a high profit margin. I have been to Krown before there's a 100% chance I will be back again.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6347 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cq358 wrote:
My friend got a new car and the F&I manager tries to sell him with this one of a kind space age anti rust device. IT COST $500.
I'm still bitter that one of those guys sold my parents one of those. On a LEASED car. And my mom was all happy because they can just take it off and use it on their next car...
cq358 wrote:
Google it. It apparently works... if the thing being rustproofed is immersed in water. i.e. good for boats, not very useful for cars.

But hey, the dealer makes tons of money on it.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3556 posts
67 upvotes
Its been discussed a few times, do a search to see what other opinions are on the device.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4160 posts
534 upvotes
Scam.

Although the story of the F&I office up-selling BOTH the module and the rust undercoating has to be one of the best I've read on here
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Aug 17, 2008
665 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen these around I know someone who has one... here in Oshawa the dealers put in for you for 1000$ and if there is any rust its covered as long as the gadget is on the car. My friend says he doesn't care if it works, hes got warranty.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
4845 posts
233 upvotes
Of course not scam, it protects from rust, stone chips, acid rain, dents, and anything else you can think of. By the way, you can get one from me for cheap at $499! :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20256 posts
1668 upvotes
VivienM wrote:
Jun 8th, 2009 11:48 pm
Google it. It apparently works... if the thing being rustproofed is immersed in water. i.e. good for boats, not very useful for cars.
Or buried underground, as in pipelines. Oh and the voltage has to be a lot higher than what you get in one of those dinky boxes they put in your car. I think those boxes are just a box that you wire to 12V and the light comes on, i.e. LED in a box LOL. :lol:
z24driver1986 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2009 9:39 am
I've seen these around I know someone who has one... here in Oshawa the dealers put in for you for 1000$ and if there is any rust its covered as long as the gadget is on the car. My friend says he doesn't care if it works, hes got warranty.
Stupidest reasoning ever. What does he think the money is paying for? Essentially it's just paying for a warranty, like any other extended warranty but just on rust. The $3 LED-in-a-box they install in the car is worthless. The $$$ is essentially an insurance policy/warranty and like all insurance, the companies providing them never lose. Furthermore did he take a look at the warranty he's "got"? Making any sort of claim on it is not going to be easy, as there will be tons of conditions to meet and therefore lots of room for the provider to get out of paying you a dime. E.g. Most of these rust warranties you have to do some kind of inspection every year, the rust has to be perforation and originating on the underside of the metal. Miss an inspection or have them claim that the rust started on the painted side, from paint damage? And you're SOL. Believe me lots of cars rust, but these scam artist companies selling this garbage are still making a killing.
May 28, 2009
94 posts
GTA
if you understand the science on why metals rust then you will know those rust modules do work. however car bodies are well protected from rust already so the rust modules dont really get a chance to work.
[OP]
May 22, 2008
472 posts
1 upvote
I was trying to ask the F&I lady to tell the truth by asking her how many customer she ever had returned for a rust repair when customer had this made in china junk. Guess what, she told the truth but she quickily corrected herself hahhaha.

However, she also said in the beginning of the negociation, she just start working at this honda dealership for 4 days.
Sep 30, 2001
25763 posts
4964 upvotes
Personally I think they're a scam. If they truly were a miracle device why aren't they included as an option straight from the manufacturer?
Don't talk about it, be about it
May 28, 2009
94 posts
GTA
MrDisco wrote:
Jun 9th, 2009 7:31 pm
Personally I think they're a scam. If they truly were a miracle device why aren't they included as an option straight from the manufacturer?
they dont want bad PR and making people think their cars are prone to rust unless you add the "rust proof device" option. plus the metals are galvanized or painted they don't rust that fast.
× < >