• Sep 19th, 2018 9:11 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1715 posts
50 upvotes

Rust proof?

I know there was a couple of threads about rust proofing - which service is best or recommended etc. - but, I can't find any recent posts.

Corrosion Free seemed to have a lot of fans but it's almost impossible to find a dealer except Crap Tire. Since, no one will do it, isn't anyone who considers them or is a fan, somewhat suspicious about that? Canadian Tire has a bad rep for auto service and many people are reluctant to go there for that reason.

What about Krown? Some people don't like the drilling - but, they are small holes and they plug them up. The dripping for a couple days might be an issue, can you put something down like cardboard if you don't want the pavement/driveway stained?

I know some people who have pretty modern cars, relative new, maybe a year or two old, and they swear by Krown. It's pretty convincing.

I think there is Rust Check and Ziebart but those two aren't as highly recommended. Any thoughts? I hope it's okay rehashing this subject - the previous posts looked to be around a year or more old. Hence, posting here since I would like to do this before winter.

Thanks for any replies! Much appreciated!!!
20 replies
Apr 7, 2015
182 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto (GTA)
I go to Krown. The drilling and cap is not noticeable on my black vehicle.

Most people do it either during Fall or Spring. but yeah I usually park on the road until night time so I don't have too much stain on the driveway.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5226 posts
1872 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
I recently purchased a cheap $1300 Subaru winter beater in Ottawa (vehicle has been in Ottawa its whole life) that had been krowned somewhat regularly. It passed the Safety without any repairs required, minimal rust on/underneath the vehicle for an almost 17-year-old car. It is a 2002 Forester. That sealed the deal for me (in favor of rustproofing with Krown). On a side note, the caps on the holes are starting to fall out, will need to get that fixed.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6720 posts
2573 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 6:41 pm
I recently purchased a cheap $1300 Subaru winter beater in Ottawa (vehicle has been in Ottawa its whole life) that had been krowned somewhat regularly. It passed the Safety without any repairs required, minimal rust on/underneath the vehicle for an almost 17-year-old car. It is a 2002 Forester. That sealed the deal for me (in favor of rustproofing with Krown). On a side note, the caps on the holes are starting to fall out, will need to get that fixed.
Is there a practical function to replacing the caps? Will water accumulate somewhere in the car if the caps disappear or will they just drain?
Oct 12, 2010
30 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
The concept of krown is very simple, you cover metal parts in oil, they don't rust. The stuff clings onto whatever it touches and it's very greasy, you can't wash them off after a while. I have 4 cars over 13 years old and i swear by them too. Put any of my car on a hoist against a 1 year old car and you will spot the difference. But i'd only do it if you intent to keep the car for longer than 10 years, for new cars nowadays rust don't usually show up until at least 10+ years later.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2255 posts
277 upvotes
Ancaster
I really like the Corrosion Free....have used it for the last few vehicles that I've had in my family.

You can search for a dealer on their web site. There are a couple of good spots to go that I'll post links below. Both are west GTA area....one in Hamilton and the other in Oakville.

https://www.skautomotive.ca/

http://trilliumauto.ca/
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16924 posts
1349 upvotes
Woodbridge
I got it done at Robinson Automotive. I agree I would never let CT touch my toys.

Corrosion Free.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22165 posts
8813 upvotes
Ottawa
I stopped now and wash my vehicles once a week at the touchless carwash.
Feb 14, 2010
258 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
What do you guys think about rust proofing a ten plus year old car that's in rust free condition. Let's just say the car is worth a few grand however plan to keep it for another five plus years. Is the money well spent if one wants to drive a rust free car.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4833 posts
1314 upvotes
Halifax
teleguitar wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 4:33 pm
I know there was a couple of threads about rust proofing - which service is best or recommended etc. - but, I can't find any recent posts.
Pros and cons of each. Personally I like Rust Check. No real reason other than good experiences.
teleguitar wrote:
Corrosion Free seemed to have a lot of fans but it's almost impossible to find a dealer except Crap Tire. Since, no one will do it, isn't anyone who considers them or is a fan, somewhat suspicious about that? Canadian Tire has a bad rep for auto service and many people are reluctant to go there for that reason.

What about Krown? Some people don't like the drilling - but, they are small holes and they plug them up. The dripping for a couple days might be an issue, can you put something down like cardboard if you don't want the pavement/driveway stained?
Krown is not the only one to drill. Rust Check does too but you can ask them not too. I went with drilling to get into the crevices...that is what you are getting Rust Proofing for, is it not?

There can be dripping for quite awhile. I parked my car on the side of the street for a few days. Your car can smoke too. Buddy of mine got pulled over once, the cop thought his car was on fire. Pretty funny.
teleguitar wrote:
I know some people who have pretty modern cars, relative new, maybe a year or two old, and they swear by Krown. It's pretty convincing.

I think there is Rust Check and Ziebart but those two aren't as highly recommended. Any thoughts? I hope it's okay rehashing this subject - the previous posts looked to be around a year or more old. Hence, posting here since I would like to do this before winter.

Thanks for any replies! Much appreciated!!!
You want to get rust proofing done asap if it is a new car. Check the warranty offered by Krown and the others. usually you need to do it within 2-3 years of the vehicle being purchased new for the warranty to be valid. Even without the warranty, I believe it is worth it.
Sep 27, 2009
108 posts
31 upvotes
Most important factor is who is doing the application. Period.

Both Krown and Corrosion Free are solid choices and I have used both. Krown has a higher level of viscosity hence the reason they claim it creeps better. Drips like crazy and swells rubber door/hood seals. Fact.

My Saab looked like it was sticking it’s tongue out and my Ford Flex wasn’t much better.

CF is thicker. CF cycles through on sale at TSC stores. My personal choice is CF and DIY. Super easy to do with a ramp and the spray gun kit. My F150 shows no signs of swelling seals.

Whatever you choose you will be better off than not doing it IF you plan to KEEP your car.

Lease or flip cars. Waste of time and money.
Sep 8, 2017
731 posts
569 upvotes
GTA
thelastword wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 7:21 am
What do you guys think about rust proofing a ten plus year old car that's in rust free condition. Let's just say the car is worth a few grand however plan to keep it for another five plus years. Is the money well spent if one wants to drive a rust free car.
Do you like the car? Do you care about its appearance? If so, I would.

It was the same situation for me. I bought a 10 year old car, and it was in excellent condition without any rust. Surprisingly, the previous owners never had it rust proofed. I think think it was kept in a garage. I would have to keep it outside.

I planned on keeping the car for at least 5 years, and I really did want to keep it rust free as I had 2 rust-buckets previously and hated it. So I got my new purchase rust-proofed at Krown that first fall. I did again the following year in the fall, and I'll be taking it back for its 3rd application in the next few weeks. I daily drive the car, including through the winter, and I'd say the rust-proofing has helped keep the rust at bay. My car is notorious for rusting around the rear wheels.

I'm not really doing the rust-proofing for maximize resale value, becasue I'll probably drive it to the ground. Or I'd be happy to get the bare minimum if I do sell it. I think I'll certainly get my money's worth out of this car. I'm doing it more because I care about how my car looks.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2389 posts
1268 upvotes
Montreal
I've heard many people who do it for a living say there's no reason at all to drill holes on modern cars, there are always OEM access holes to work with, the only reason any dealer still drill is because they are too lazy to look and use the OEM holes.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5226 posts
1872 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
derass wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 2:37 pm
Do you like the car? Do you care about its appearance? If so, I would.

It was the same situation for me. I bought a 10 year old car, and it was in excellent condition without any rust. Surprisingly, the previous owners never had it rust proofed. I think think it was kept in a garage. I would have to keep it outside.

I planned on keeping the car for at least 5 years, and I really did want to keep it rust free as I had 2 rust-buckets previously and hated it. So I got my new purchase rust-proofed at Krown that first fall. I did again the following year in the fall, and I'll be taking it back for its 3rd application in the next few weeks. I daily drive the car, including through the winter, and I'd say the rust-proofing has helped keep the rust at bay. My car is notorious for rusting around the rear wheels.

I'm not really doing the rust-proofing for maximize resale value, becasue I'll probably drive it to the ground. Or I'd be happy to get the bare minimum if I do sell it. I think I'll certainly get my money's worth out of this car. I'm doing it more because I care about how my car looks.
Not to mention, it will help prevent important suspension components from rusting away, saving you $$$ from not having to replace them down the road.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)