• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2010 6:50 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
4763 posts
225 upvotes

Rust proofing?

Just wonder anyone can recommend a place in/near Markham for rust proofing? I used to have rust proofing / leather treatment / paint protection done at a place in Scarborugh for about $399. Just want to shop around or hear any experience about other places.
100 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
golden wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 2:38 pm
Just wonder anyone can recommend a place in/near Markham for rust proofing? I used to have rust proofing / leather treatment / paint protection done at a place in Scarborugh for about $399. Just want to shop around or hear any experience about other places.
I use Krown, with the annual sprays. It has been recommended in a number of threads on RFD.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
4763 posts
225 upvotes
I heard Krown is using some oil injected into the doors with holes drilled. I prefer not to have holes drilled. Also, heard that the oil dripping out initially is rather annoying. Any comments?
Banned
Jul 16, 2008
524 posts
Pickering
I use Reg's Auto Body annual spray. In Scarborough, Kennedy & Danforth Rd. I used to use Crown in Pickering but they hardly sprayed the underbody if at all. Any time I had it in for service, the mechanic would tell me to have it sprayed (which I just did at Crown) because it looked dry. Now I have them comment on what a thorough job that has been done (by Reg's) at a lower price too.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6002 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
Once you drilled a hole, you have to go back every year, if not, the rust will be appeariing on that drilled spot. So there is good and bad, with hole, they can have access to more hidden parts, but you have to go back almost every year.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15671 posts
1212 upvotes
GTA West
golden wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 3:30 pm
I heard Krown is using some oil injected into the doors with holes drilled. I prefer not to have holes drilled. Also, heard that the oil dripping out initially is rather annoying. Any comments?
Krown is really the only one that actually works. You need to drill the holes because rust starts from the inside out, and they have to get to the inside of the panels to prevent this from happening. I had my car Krowned recently for the first time and I could not watch when they drilled the holes. But it is all for the best because the holes get coated with the grease, and the Krown solution "creeps" and will seal the holes so it won't start rusting there. Also, I took off all the little rubber caps on the holes and sprayed then with white grease, and then re-seated the caps.

The dripping goes on for about 3 days. It is annoying but I covered the floor under my car with newspapers so they caught most of the drips.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15671 posts
1212 upvotes
GTA West
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 6:04 pm
Once you drilled a hole, you have to go back every year, if not, the rust will be appeariing on that drilled spot. So there is good and bad, with hole, they can have access to more hidden parts, but you have to go back almost every year.
If I did not go back every year, I would re-spray each hole with white grease to preserve the metal.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7473 posts
383 upvotes
Scarborough
I just had my wify's brand new 2009 Corolla sprayed with Krown last Monday. Say no more eh! Google "Krown" to see what other people say about it.
golden wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 2:38 pm
Apr 18, 2005
248 posts
1 upvote
you HAVE to go back every yr? where are these holes i havent really looked or noticed them
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7473 posts
383 upvotes
Scarborough
You don't notice them at all. On my old Acura 1.6 EL, I can see them on the doors (3 of them each door), but not on the 2009 Corolla. The new holes (2 holes) were hardly noticed at all.
jokerstone wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 6:36 pm
i havent really looked or noticed them
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
4787 posts
687 upvotes
I am in Georgia on vacation - I just took my Sienna to the local Toyota dealer for an oil change. The mechanic popped the hood - stood there with a horrified look on his face and called me over to tell me that I had a major oil leak problem. He had never seen a vehicle that had been oil sprayed (Krown) before. :lol:

Every tech in the dealership came over to have a look.

BTW the best place in the GTA to get the Krown spray done is their head office on Creditstone Rd in Concord (Jane and Hwy 7).
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15671 posts
1212 upvotes
GTA West
jokerstone wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 6:36 pm
you HAVE to go back every yr? where are these holes i havent really looked or noticed them
My Mazda6 has a total of 19 drill holes from Krown. Look for these little back caps about the size of a penny around the edges of your doors and on the rocker panels.

Krown does lose effectiveness after about 1 year, which is why you have to go back. That's the tradeoff you get because Krown creeps and drips. It gets into all the tiny little crevices and that's why it is effective at preventing rust.

However since it's not really gummy or thick, it eventually wears off so you have to re-apply.

Also, if you get a new vehicle sprayed with Krown, you get krown's anti-rust warranty. However if you don't re-apply on time, you lose the warranty.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Feb 22, 2006
417 posts
1 upvote
Lakeshore Krown, Igor is an awesome guy and gives deals to the local car clubs during the busy time of the season.
Dec 27, 2007
454 posts
39 upvotes
Aurora
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 6:04 pm
Thats bs. When they drill a hole they coat the surface with a thick white grease before putting the cap on the hole. Its not coated with the oil based Krown that runs and drips.

The whole idea of drilling holes in the car is to get the rust protection into areas where moisture sits. If this isn't done, you will still have areas of the vehicle while will be prone to rust and you might as well save your money.
× < >