Automotive

Rust proofing and paint protection - necessary???

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2012 10:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
3657 posts
181 upvotes

Rust proofing and paint protection - necessary???

I am planning to purchase a new car and was wondering if rust-proofing and paint protection is really necessary. I have been reading online and there are many claims:

- Rust proofing does more harm than good. The rust proofing actually acts as a trap, trapping various materials.
- If you wash the underneath of your car every two weeks, you do not need to rust proof.
- There's already protection on the car out of the factor, so you do not need to do rust proofing.
I am planning to get a black coloured car and there are people saying that it this colour fades the easiest, so the paint protection would be good.

Can anyone comment?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15905 posts
1268 upvotes
GTA West
Rustproofing and paint protection through the dealership are generally huge profit-centers. They push it hard because they make fantastic amounts of money.

Rustproofing: There's various types. Some are worthwhile. Some are garbage / scams. Go aftermarket and get Corrosion-Free or Krown. Do NOT tell the stealership salesperson about CF/Krown because they will spout lies about how it voids the warranty.

Paint Protection: Don't get it. Period. If you want a paint sealant, get your own bottle of Klasse Sealant and microfiber towels, and apply it yourself. You'll have tens of applications available for under $30.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4058 posts
507 upvotes
Toronto
I prefer Rust Check. I know the owners at one of the locations. Krown used to be part of Rust Check, so both are good. Check with other members here for a good location in your area. The quality of the work comes down to individual locations as I've heard horror stories from some, but great things from others.

Dealerships will tell you lies about it voiding warranty, but like I said above, do your research before going to any location. If they need to drill holes you want to make sure it someone who is experienced and knows what they are doing doing it.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

Buy One, Get One (BOGO) is not a RFD sale, it's only a sale for people that can't do math
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
3657 posts
181 upvotes
Is there usually a timeline when you should do the rustproofing? i.e. within 6 months after purchase. I don't plan to do it at time of purchase just based on the responses above.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4058 posts
507 upvotes
Toronto
If you're buying the car anytime after winter when they stop salting roads, then you can wait until October/November. If you're buying your car within the next few weeks, get the rust-proofing done. It's the combination of salt and the water that will start eating your car.

I got my car in January and rust-proofed it a week after getting it

Is it absolutely necessary to do it right away, no... but why wait if you want to get the protection? Unless you're buying a Mazda, those babies like to rust.

Buy One, Get One (BOGO) is not a RFD sale, it's only a sale for people that can't do math
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
3657 posts
181 upvotes
Thanks for the reply. I am looking at vehicles from Ford right now
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
7271 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
With my civic I don't care, its 11 years old and has very minimal rust on the bottom (it is rust proofed) my BMW is 4 years old, not rust proofed and not a single spec of rust anywhere. That said, the BMW I wash and wax it weekly (wax once a month) when I'm driving it and having a coat of wax applies helps maintain and protect the paint and all around finish.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4058 posts
507 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote:
Feb 13th, 2012 9:48 pm
With my civic I don't care, its 11 years old and has very minimal rust on the bottom (it is rust proofed) my BMW is 4 years old, not rust proofed and not a single spec of rust anywhere. That said, the BMW I wash and wax it weekly (wax once a month) when I'm driving it and having a coat of wax applies helps maintain and protect the paint and all around finish.

That's also a good point. If you are diligent and wash your car at least once weekly (especially during the winter), then you'll have less salt build up to rust your car. The same goes if you wax your car well and do it often enough, and fix any dings and paint chips right away, then you're less likely to get rust on the exterior then somebody who doesn't do the above.

The thing about rust-proofing though is it protect the inner body of the car. That's something that all the washing and waxing won't help you with (it's only good for the exterior). There's enough openings in the frame where water can penetrate, like the seams and under-body. Water and salt can penetrate at those points and get to the inner frame of the vehicle. Rust will usually eat its way from inside to outside, not the other way around (due to the wax, clear top coat, paint, and primer).

If we lived where we got no snow or ice, I'd say rust-proofing is a waste of $$$, but we don't live in a place like that, so I recommend getting it rust-proofed.

× < >