None
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Rust Proofing - Ziebart or Krown?????

Has anyone here had their vehicle rustprofing done at Ziebart? I called and they charge $350 for Super Rust Protectio Underbody Sound Barrier.

They offer a 10 year warranty if i go every year and pay $45..

Is this worth it?

Any other recommendations go get a brand new car rust proofing done (2006 Honda Odyssey Touring)?
174 replies
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
vtz wrote:
Dec 13th, 2006 8:57 am
Got my car done at Krown yesterday, very professional and fair prices.

http://krown.com/
Do they have a warranty? How much did they charge you?
Jul 3, 2006
225 posts
12 upvotes
**Prices - http://krown.com/faq.php
A. All Cars .......... $109.95 (I got charged this I have an accord coupe)
B. Small Pickup trucks (2 door), Small Suv ..........$114.95
C. All Minivans, Full Size Pickups (2 doors)
Small pickups with 3 or 4 doors, Medium sized suv's............. $119.95
D. Full size Pickups with 3 or 4 doors,
Large size suv, Full size vans .......... $129.95
E. Crew Cabs, Super Cabs, Club Cabs.............. $ 139.99

**Warrenty - http://krown.com/warranty.php

**COUPON - http://www.krown.com/coupon.php

Sorry forgot to mention the coupon, Print the coupon out and you get a free can of spray (3 choices - I think 2 are lubricants and 1 is the actual rust proof formuale which I used on my bros 93 civic hatch)

Also I heard that these guys do the fleet of the city's salt trucks, aswell as other city vehicles. Cant go wrong there ;)
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
vtz wrote:
Dec 13th, 2006 10:57 am
**Prices - http://krown.com/faq.php
A. All Cars .......... $109.95 (I got charged this I have an accord coupe)
B. Small Pickup trucks (2 door), Small Suv ..........$114.95
C. All Minivans, Full Size Pickups (2 doors)
Small pickups with 3 or 4 doors, Medium sized suv's............. $119.95
D. Full size Pickups with 3 or 4 doors,
Large size suv, Full size vans .......... $129.95
E. Crew Cabs, Super Cabs, Club Cabs.............. $ 139.99

**Warrenty - http://krown.com/warranty.php

**COUPON - http://www.krown.com/coupon.php

Sorry forgot to mention the coupon, Print the coupon out and you get a free can of spray (3 choices - I think 2 are lubricants and 1 is the actual rust proof formuale which I used on my bros 93 civic hatch)

Also I heard that these guys do the fleet of the city's salt trucks, aswell as other city vehicles. Cant go wrong there ;)
Thanks.

So if I were to compare with Krown and Ziebart for 10 years:

Ziebart:

$350 Initially
$45 / yr

Total cost for 10 years: $800

Krown:

$120 Initially
$120 / yr

Total cost for 10 years: $1,320

Looks like Ziebart would work out cheaper in the long run.

Thoughts and comments??
Mar 2, 2006
817 posts
18 upvotes
I had Ziebart rustproofing applied when I bought my car new. I wouldn't recommend it. It's a waxy like yellow substance that doesn't penetrate as well as oils and it hardens, which means that it may be prone to cracking/separating and allow moisture to pass. I also had the underbody spray applied as well. If you want to save some money, just go to Canadian Tire and pick up a couple of cans of their rubberized undercoating, jack up your car and apply it yourself.

I now have my car sprayed every other year or so with Krown and I spray various portions of the underbody myself with Rust Check spray when I switch my tires over.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2101 posts
28 upvotes
Krown is the better stuff. Penetrates seams, acts as a chassis lubricant, and displaces water from electical connections, besides being an excellent for basic rust prevention. Ziebart provides a little extra sound deadening, but may actually hold water against the body if water finds a way around.

Now, I once Ziebart'ed a new Ford Contour in 97 (for some stupid reason), and the mechanical bits wore out at 150K and 5 years, long before the body showed signs of rust. No need to rustproof a crappy car that won't last.

But I bought a used 99 Acura two years ago and had it Krowned for the first time right away. Still no rust behind the wheels, as is so common with Hondas.

The best time to get your car Krowned is the summer - the oil creeps more readily into seams. But getting it done in the winter isn't a bad idea.

The warranties for these companies usually aren't very good. You don't get Krown for the warranty - you get it to keep your car rust-free.

Other precautions you should take include fixing stone chips and waxing your car before winter. Washing it after heavy salt use is a good idea as well.

Edit: Just saw you're getting a new Odyssey. Nice car..
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
chansen wrote:
Dec 13th, 2006 12:18 pm
Krown is the better stuff. Penetrates seams, acts as a chassis lubricant, and displaces water from electical connections, besides being an excellent for basic rust prevention. Ziebart provides a little extra sound deadening, but may actually hold water against the body if water finds a way around.

Now, I once Ziebart'ed a new Ford Contour in 97 (for some stupid reason), and the mechanical bits wore out at 150K and 5 years, long before the body showed signs of rust. No need to rustproof a crappy car that won't last.

But I bought a used 99 Acura two years ago and had it Krowned for the first time right away. Still no rust behind the wheels, as is so common with Hondas.

The best time to get your car Krowned is the summer - the oil creeps more readily into seams. But getting it done in the winter isn't a bad idea.

The warranties for these companies usually aren't very good. You don't get Krown for the warranty - you get it to keep your car rust-free.

Other precautions you should take include fixing stone chips and waxing your car before winter. Washing it after heavy salt use is a good idea as well.

BTW, what's the difference between rust proofing and undercoating?

Edit: Just saw you're getting a new Odyssey. Nice car..
Thanks - the car should be fun.

From the posts, it seems that Krown would be better...

BTW - what's the difference between undercoating and rustproofing?
Mar 2, 2006
817 posts
18 upvotes
The undercoating that I was referring to is the black tar-like substance that is sprayed (painted) on the undercarriage. It's permanent and doesn't wash away like oil.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3287 posts
140 upvotes
Shaf wrote:
Dec 13th, 2006 11:43 am
Thoughts and comments??
I've used a number of different rust proofs today.

Rustcheck at $125
Walmart at $65
local garage at $60

The first job puts in the plug holes, so that should be done by the guys who do it all the time. I would say Krown or RustCheck.. I read and heard about Zeibart complaints. I've seen my car underside extensively (my buddy owns a garage) and from his advice, even the best material doesn't last and as noted by others... the harder materials dry up (tar etc) and leave a gap in which moisture never fully dries. The waxy/oily stuff is best.. I found getting it done is more important than anything and hot places near the engine get vaporized. Most garages have the equipment/material to do this stuff once the plugs are in... Walmart sends their guys to a special course on how to do this and the material is pretty much the same as the others (oily waxy substance) so once the plugs are in... they're a good bet. Forget about the warranty stuff... it costs more in time/$ to get repair satisfaction than it's worth.
Mar 3, 2004
241 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton
I currently go to Ziebart with both my cars (02 Focus, 99 Taurus). I had the chance to get the Tarurus up on a hoist over the weekend, and I didn't see any visible signs of rust, ditto for the Focus. I'm a satisifed customer with Ziebart and I would highly recommend them.

In the end, getting any type of rust-proofing is better than not getting it done. Since Ontario (or should I say Toronto/GTA) is such a salt-loving community, our cars take a lot of abuse over the winter. I'm going to second the advice my an earlier poster, to wash your car whenever there is an excessive amount of salt/snow on the car.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2005
1691 posts
3 upvotes
Anyone have experience on the electronic rustproofing? Those small computer boxes where you just bolt under the hood of the car and run of couple wires to the chassis and its supposed to send electrical signals to the car's body to keep it rust free? Sounds like it doesn't work well but less messy than spray
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2154 posts
Toronto
nsr250 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2006 11:36 pm
Anyone have experience on the electronic rustproofing? Those small computer boxes where you just bolt under the hood of the car and run of couple wires to the chassis and its supposed to send electrical signals to the car's body to keep it rust free? Sounds like it doesn't work well but less messy than spray
I've heard about those but apparently they don't work as well ...
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2101 posts
28 upvotes
nsr250 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2006 11:36 pm
Junk. If you don't want the mess of oil spray, just wash your car often in the winter.
× < >