None
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1515 posts
59 upvotes
Victoria
Shaf wrote:
Dec 13th, 2006 8:42 am
Has anyone here had their vehicle rustprofing done at Ziebart? I called and they charge $350 for Super Rust Protectio Underbody Sound Barrier.

They offer a 10 year warranty if i go every year and pay $45..

Is this worth it?

Any other recommendations go get a brand new car rust proofing done (2006 Honda Odyssey Touring)?

i use to go to ziebart in victoria. i use to take it the first couple of years, and then ziebart went out of business here. and the next location is a an 8 hr drive. so my warrenty was eventually voided and my car rusted
Dec 11, 2003
437 posts
59 upvotes
London
Just got my car done yesterday at Krown. Guy was so nice that he gave me both student discount(turned out to be $5 off other than 10% off) and this can of spray http://www.krown.com/coupon.php . :D

He also told me the best time of the year to get it done is spring! (I used to believe it's early winter.) For he said the whole winter the car is actually frozen. Rust only starts when it gets warm in spring. That makes some sense.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
2475 posts
135 upvotes
North Etobicoke
chansen wrote:
Dec 14th, 2006 8:55 am
Junk. If you don't want the mess of oil spray, just wash your car often in the winter.

Washing you car often in the winter allows the salt to creep into the seams (the road salt would do this anyway) Better to not wash often in the winter.
Oct 31, 2002
996 posts
30 upvotes
Waterloo
Menthol wrote:
Dec 28th, 2006 10:17 pm
Washing you car often in the winter allows the salt to creep into the seams (the road salt would do this anyway) Better to not wash often in the winter.
I don't know about that. I used to wash my car weekly in the winter for many years and never had a speck of rust until one winter I neglected it and didn't wash it as often. Spring came around and my car started to rust.

I'm a firm believer that the best way to prevent rust it to wash your car often in the winter and it keeps your car and clothes white free :)

I also oil sprayed every autumn. Never tried Krown but heard lots of good things about them. If you're in Kitchener, try Houghton up on Victoria street. They've been doing this for years and it's all they do really. $65 bucks but go early or else there's always a long lineup.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10980 posts
1338 upvotes
The Canadian Army did some research into rust proofing for field equipment and combat vehicles. They didn't even consider Ziebart.

The 2006 report is here:
http://pubs.drdc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf

Based on army research done in 1999:
[INDENT]"....In 1999, DSVPM requested QETE to evaluate CPCs for application to Canadian Army vehicles [8] [9].Seven CPCs (i.e., Rust Block, Dura Tech 2000, Dura Tech Plus, Rust Check, Krown T-40, #900 Rust Proofing Oil, and Fluid Film) were evaluated by QETE. It was found that only Krown T-40 met all the established property limits....."[/INDENT]

New army tests done in 2006:
[INDENT]In a benign environment, the CPCs tested, performed equally well. In more severe environments,... Corrosion Free, Formula 3000 showed the most corrosion inhibition.[/INDENT]

The 2006 test:
CPC............................................ Manufacturer
WD-40...................................... WD-40 Products (Canada) Ltd.
Corrosion Free, Formula 3000.... Canadian Tire
ACF-50 ..................................... ..Lear Chemical Research Corp.
LPS-2 ..........................................LPS Laboratories
Krown T-40 .................................Krown Body Maintenance
Rustcheck Dripless ......................Rust Check Corp.
Corrosion Block ...........................Lear Chemical Research Corp.
Boeshield T-9 ..............................PMS Products Inc.
Rustcheck Red ............................Rust Check Corp.

2006 Test Results:

The Canadian Tire rustproofing product significantly out performed all the others in severe (metro) service. They were all about equal in rural service

What is really surprising is how well WD40 performed. It is equal to/ better than both RustCheck products and a little worse than Krown T40

BTW, the US Army uses something called CarWell CP90 :
http://www.armycorrosion.com/corrosiont ... efault.asp

It turns out that this is a Krown product (T-32):
http://www.carwell.com/
http://www.krown.com/msds/T-32-AEROSOL-EN.pdf
Sep 19, 2005
228 posts
4 upvotes
Is that only testing the product or includes the service provided at these establishments?
l69norm wrote:
Jan 7th, 2009 9:49 pm
The Canadian Army did some research into rust proofing for field equipment and combat vehicles. They didn't even consider Ziebart.

The 2006 report is here:
http://pubs.drdc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf

Based on army research done in 1999:
[INDENT]"....In 1999, DSVPM requested QETE to evaluate CPCs for application to Canadian Army vehicles [8] [9].Seven CPCs (i.e., Rust Block, Dura Tech 2000, Dura Tech Plus, Rust Check, Krown T-40, #900 Rust Proofing Oil, and Fluid Film) were evaluated by QETE. It was found that only Krown T-40 met all the established property limits....."[/INDENT]

New army tests done in 2006:
[INDENT]In a benign environment, the CPCs tested, performed equally well. In more severe environments,... Corrosion Free, Formula 3000 showed the most corrosion inhibition.[/INDENT]

The 2006 test:
CPC............................................ Manufacturer
WD-40...................................... WD-40 Products (Canada) Ltd.
Corrosion Free, Formula 3000.... Canadian Tire
ACF-50 ..................................... ..Lear Chemical Research Corp.
LPS-2 ..........................................LPS Laboratories
Krown T-40 .................................Krown Body Maintenance
Rustcheck Dripless ......................Rust Check Corp.
Corrosion Block ...........................Lear Chemical Research Corp.
Boeshield T-9 ..............................PMS Products Inc.
Rustcheck Red ............................Rust Check Corp.

2006 Test Results:

The Canadian Tire rustproofing product significantly out performed all the others in severe (metro) service. They were all about equal in rural service

What is really surprising is how well WD40 performed. It is equal to/ better than both RustCheck products and a little worse than Krown T40

BTW, the US Army uses something called CarWell CP90 :
http://www.armycorrosion.com/corrosiont ... efault.asp

It turns out that this is a Krown product:
http://www.carwell.com/
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18575 posts
503 upvotes
Montreal
I've had my brand new Toyota for a week. It has less than 500km on it. Should I take it to Krown and get it done right away, or wait until the spring, as some have metnioned?

If I do it now, should I get the underbody carwashed BEFORE taking it to krown, or does krown wash it before they spray it?

How long does it take to do the car at Krown? Does it take minutes? Hours?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
1970 posts
47 upvotes
i just got a new car last month

and been looking into rust proofing

i've decided to wait until it starts clearing up(spring)

just because even though you/they may wash it...there still might be areas that they miss to wash off.

so that means that when they undercoat the body..so that salt they/you missed will just stay under the coating
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10980 posts
1338 upvotes
Edirol wrote:
Jan 7th, 2009 11:45 pm
Is that only testing the product or includes the service provided at these establishments?
Product testing only
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2001
14699 posts
269 upvotes
North York
najibs wrote:
Jan 8th, 2009 12:39 am
I've had my brand new Toyota for a week. It has less than 500km on it. Should I take it to Krown and get it done right away, or wait until the spring, as some have metnioned?

If I do it now, should I get the underbody carwashed BEFORE taking it to krown, or does krown wash it before they spray it?

How long does it take to do the car at Krown? Does it take minutes? Hours?
Since Winter is already well underway I'd actually say just wait it out until Spring and then do the Krown'ing. In the meanwhile, it should be a good idea to do underbody carwashes at regular intervals for the rest of the winter.
Also, I recommend Krown Concord. I have been to 3 Krown shops in the GTA, and Concord seems to pay the most attention to your car. It took about 40 minutes.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
I'd go with Krown as well, their attention to detail is pretty good. They drill some holes in strategic locations, fill it with silicone lube (at least that's what it looks like), and then cover the rest of the underbody with their oil spray. I have had to wipe some oil off some areas of my car (trunk hinge and a few spots under the hood), but that's likely from excess run-off.

They actually only took 20 minutes with my car, but they said it was because they had everybody working on my car that time.
Deal with it.
Jan 10, 2008
999 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
astroboi wrote:
Dec 15th, 2006 10:27 am
Nightgod is right.

It is widely known that natural rubber can be damaged by petroleum products.
Yup... no Vaseline on rubber for anal lube. :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15756 posts
1244 upvotes
GTA West
nsr250 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2006 11:36 pm
Anyone have experience on the electronic rustproofing? Those small computer boxes where you just bolt under the hood of the car and run of couple wires to the chassis and its supposed to send electrical signals to the car's body to keep it rust free? Sounds like it doesn't work well but less messy than spray
Apparently they work wonders ... on boats...

Supposedly it's useless on cars.

As for the original question, I use Krown. I park in underground parking so I get it done in the fall before I get into situations where the accumulated snow and salt melts off every time I park for the night.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1612 posts
318 upvotes
Montreal
i dont understand how a rustproof company can guarantee no rust will appear.
there is no way to stop rust 100%.

I believe the best thing to do if you buy a brand new car, is to get rustproofed from the factory.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15756 posts
1244 upvotes
GTA West
BobyYoo wrote:
Jan 8th, 2009 11:54 pm
i dont understand how a rustproof company can guarantee no rust will appear.
there is no way to stop rust 100%.

I believe the best thing to do if you buy a brand new car, is to get rustproofed from the factory.
They only guarantee against perforation from the inside out in certain parts of the car.

If you get a stone chip and fail to fix it, and the it rusts, that's not covered.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
× < >