Automotive

Rust under lip of hood. Fix or replace? 2006 Fusion.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2018 5:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 4, 2016
42 posts
4 upvotes

Rust under lip of hood. Fix or replace? 2006 Fusion.

Hi.

Have had this car since new. Never spent a day in a garage. This is literally the only rust on the car. I've put 206k on it. In some ways I'm lucky this is the only rust.

I was at my mechanic for something else and asked him about this. He showed me that space under the lip of the hood and he said he's pretty sure that water and moisture gets captured in there over the years and leads to this rusting.

I'm currently looking at a replacement car for my wife and this rust I'm talking about came up in a conversation with the sales guy. He mentioned that Fusions were notorious for this rusting under the hood.

Actually, five years ago I had peeling and rust on my trunk. The two licence plate lights got water trapped in. There's a chrome panel just above the plate and basically water entered from there and made its way down into the light assembly, and then caused two rust spots right beneath them. One of them actually burned out and I replaced it. I noticed this soon after I had two car washes at the gas station about a week apart. Previously I was hand washing. Luckily I found some guy on Lakeshore east of Browns Line who painted my whole trunk for $300 while three other shops quoted me between $600 and $1,000. However, that guy retired and the shop is gone.

My mechanic had a quick look for replacement hoods for my car but couldn't find any. He said keep looking at wreckers to see if they can locate it. Problem is, my car is a 2006 and it's charcoal beige. Obviously, this wasn't one of the more popular colours. The paint code is T7. If I could somehow locate a hood for under $300 all in, then I'd consider replacing it. But then again, can I trust that seller to inspect it for rust and bubbling before he ships it off? If moisture caused it, then I might have to get this hood from Phoenix!

Has anyone ever found a hood in good shape for an over 10 year old car? Any suggestions other than contacting a couple of close by salvage shops?

And if I had the hood repainted, you think the rust would be back within a couple of years?

The other thing I thought about was getting a bug deflector if this problem gets worse and is noticeable. I'd only be masking it but it would look better than a bunch of rust.

By the way, as you can see in the pics, the rust is only easily noticeable when I use the flash. Other than that, you really have to inspect the car to see the rust. I'm trying to prevent it from getting worse!

Thanks for any suggestions.

CIMG0822 (Large).JPG
CIMG0825 (Large).JPG
CIMG0826 (Large).JPG
CIMG0830 (Large).JPG
CIMG0834 (Large).JPG
CIMG0835 (Large).JPG

Example of what my car looks like:

Last edited by TG3857 on Mar 13th, 2018 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1753 posts
420 upvotes
Markham
Not worth replacing. Just keep driving for a few more years.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2027 posts
1267 upvotes
If anything, paint with POR and top coat it or you can use Naval Jelly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8718 posts
2998 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
From the looks of it, it's just surface rust.... But if you are considering replacing the hood anyways, why not grind down the rusted areas to see how bad that rust is, If the rust is just surface rust, just grind it down to bare metal, prime it, and then get someone to paint the hood?
[OP]
Oct 4, 2016
42 posts
4 upvotes
A wrecker guy just emailed me back and said he could purchase a brand new hood for $200 + tax for a different colour. Then I'd need to get a body guy to paint it. That alone has gotta be hundreds of dollars. That option is definitely out of the question.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1802 posts
719 upvotes
Ontario
TG3857 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 3:44 pm
A wrecker guy just emailed me back and said he could purchase a brand new hood for $200 + tax for a different colour. Then I'd need to get a body guy to paint it. That alone has gotta be hundreds of dollars. That option is definitely out of the question.
Check to see if you have an aluminum hood. If so it is galvanic corrosion and is the subject of a class action lawsuit. It looks like it is in the first photograph because it is white and powdery underneath the paint not brown and scaly.

http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/hood-rust/

If it is, the same thing happens on Grand Cherokee hoods and I have seen it really bad on a 2014.

I was considering fitting part of a magnesium anode for a hot water heater to stop this happening. Aluminum oxidizes if attached to steel but magnesium is more reactive and can protect the aluminum in theory.

If there is galvanic corrosion going on it will always come back unless you change the way the metals are connected for galvanic current flow.

Edit: PS - I checked the Ford SSM and the 2006 Fusion is not listed as affected.
Last edited by Martin (deal addict) on Mar 13th, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2027 posts
1267 upvotes
TG3857 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 3:44 pm
My buddy just picked up a wrecker hood. Cost 400 to paint it.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1272 posts
41 upvotes
A 2006? You got enough life out of it. I say just drive it into the ground.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22228 posts
8857 upvotes
Ottawa
Yup, I have a TSB for the same issue on my MY2016 Ford Explorer (may or may not be covered under warranty :facepalm:)
No signs of corossion yet, as I have a partial hood clear vinly wrap on.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3100 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
Vinyl wrap the hood. Should cost less then $400.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1802 posts
719 upvotes
Ontario
peteryorkuca wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 4:56 pm
Vinyl wrap the hood. Should cost less then $400.
Another good idea is to put a hood deflector on the hood edge which will cover any edge corrosion (or DIY repainting thereof)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"