[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3910 posts
430 upvotes

RX100 VI makes no sense

2.8 vs 1.8...quite drastic for 1"
no more ND
no more playmemory apps (not that important to me in a P&S)

$399 premium over the mark V

do I want touchscreen and not have to pop-out the EVF manually? sure...but my mark V from 2 years ago seems to be the superior product overall (unless you need that 200mm reach)...the AF performance is already ridiculously fast as is the 24fps burst
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1294 upvotes
I think Sony’s biggest competitor for this is actually both other RX100 and any compact mirrorless.

For a little bit bigger size, you have the ability to change lens and you can now get similar performance and features for even a cheaper price.

Or you live with sightly lesser features but you can still have the compactness and save a lot of money on older RX100s or Canon G5/7/9.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3910 posts
430 upvotes
I saw the argument that 24 fps burst is more geared towards sports...and in sports you need that 200mm reach

the other point was phones have killed P&S so to differentiate, Sony made a product that the phone's cant touch...again goes back to that 200mm reach

I think very valid points, but at the end of the day I think people would rather save $400 than having that reach...as you said it's reaching into the APS-C segment (a6300 plus a good lens)
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1294 upvotes
Makes more sense but the spec still doesn't justify the price, I feel. I think they were setting themselves up for failure by pricing each conexcutive model more, at some point they will be no longer affordable and RX line has already passed that.

Part of me hope that this model is a failure so Sony has to rethink about their pricing structure.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1479 posts
78 upvotes
Glad I didn't wait for the new model and bought an open box M5. The price premium and new features ain't worth it. For this price, I might as well jump to a mirrorless camera. I'm hoping panasonic gets their act together with their autofocus system and brings some real competition to sony. I was really considering the Lumix line of cameras but their autofocus sucks.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1382 posts
322 upvotes
Aurora
On Amazon Canada, you can preorder the M6 for $1600CAD (vs. $1200CAD for the M5). It's quite a bit for a camera that has really agitated people, but at least there's touch-screen, now.

I agree that there's little incentive for M5 owners to upgrade (since AF on M5 is already amazing).

I don't know much about cameras, but does the 1.8 vs 2.8 f stop affect video, or just photos?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3910 posts
430 upvotes
not as much as stills
but it's less video friendly in the sense that they took away the built-in ND filter
Russell wrote:

Feb 2, 2008
330 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I also prefer the previous generation m5, but I respectfully disagree with it not making any sense... they've built a great do everything (big) pocketable camera. If zoom and compact size is important, there's nothing else that comes close.

Yes, the m6 is pricey but so is the m5, when you can get an a6000 plus additional lenses that will surpass it in image quality. It's all about the compromise of size vs. features and some will like the size.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3910 posts
430 upvotes
they've effectively killed the RX10 by releasing this

the V was pricey but it was already the upper limit at 999 USD...going over that nice even number for a small format rubs most people the wrong way

the V was the RX100 to really break the 12 month cycle....it was around for close to 2 years...Sony won't discontinue it like the previous generations and this is quite departure of RX100 concept...which debuted for almost half the price tag and over $700 CAD less...within only 6 freaking years

it's probably not for recording a sports game because of 5 min 4K limit. Street and travel the V is more suitable...so who's it for? retired casual wildlife shooters that cant be bothered to bring a rig?

I've owned the a6000 and still think great but it's more of a entry-level product now and inferior to the RX100 V...less than half the burst, no 4K, no Zony glass, less flexible LCD etc
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3924 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
It seems Sony is really tired of paying for a proper dev team that could maintain their Play Memories.

It was first alluded that they killed the support in the A9/A7R3/A7III that Pros didn't care for the apps.

But now the new RX100VI doesn't have it either.....
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1294 upvotes
Seems like Leica just released their answer to the RX100VI with their version of a 1" sensor compact zoom 8.8-132mm (Equiv 24-360mm).

The kicker is, Leica's is cheaper... Let that sink in for a bit, similar base spec (20.1MP sensor, 4K@30fps, Long Zoom Range) and cheaper... LEICA !!!

The Sony does probably a few advantages on spec (Pop-Up EVF, focus points, buffer, tilting screen, etc) but the Leica has a much longer, Mega Zoom like reach.

To me, it seems like even Leica knows, you really can't price a compact P&S too much.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... night.html
May 5, 2010
981 posts
284 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 5:58 pm
Seems like Leica just released their answer to the RX100VI with their version of a 1" sensor compact zoom 8.8-132mm (Equiv 24-360mm).

The kicker is, Leica's is cheaper... Let that sink in for a bit, similar base spec (20.1MP sensor, 4K@30fps, Long Zoom Range) and cheaper... LEICA !!!

The Sony does probably a few advantages on spec (Pop-Up EVF, focus points, buffer, tilting screen, etc) but the Leica has a much longer, Mega Zoom like reach.

To me, it seems like even Leica knows, you really can't price a compact P&S too much.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... night.html
That's just a rebranding of the Panasonic ZS200
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... amera.html

$250 pricier because of that little red dot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3910 posts
430 upvotes
Leica tainting their brand by making their re-badged Lumix in China
photos are very soft at telephoto end and no PDAF in 2018, c'mon...
this is why Sony gets away with ridiculous price tags...because they run unchecked by the competitors
liked them better as the new underdog...doubt we'll ever see something priced like the launch of a6000 at $650 again from this company
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3924 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Jun 16th, 2018 5:00 am
Leica tainting their brand by making their re-badged Lumix in China
photos are very soft at telephoto end and no PDAF in 2018, c'mon...
this is why Sony gets away with ridiculous price tags...because they run unchecked by the competitors
liked them better as the new underdog...doubt we'll ever see something priced like the launch of a6000 at $650 again from this company
Even less of a chance now that Walmart stopped carrying cameras. No more $100 A5000.

It'll be interesting to see what the A6700/A7000 gets priced at since it'll be biting the heels of the 7III bracket.

Not sure if we'll see it this year since the A7S3 is anticipated soon.