[removed]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 11:37 am
300 replies
Sep 30, 2012
305 posts
42 upvotes
Hamilton
I went to college, not university, so I can't give you my personal opinion on the experience. But I will say this, it does not matter where you went to school so long as you complete something and get some working experience (Coop) along the way. After your first job, they rarely look at where you went to school. Mind you, an Engineering program is definitely more challenging in a place like Waterloo, but this has nothing to do with your personal success in the future because that depends on your abilities, not where you studied.

As for the people who are laughing at Ryerson. I find it funny that they call it Ry High yet they act like a bunch of kids themselves by going from their so-called elite school just to taunt others. Don't pay attention to idiots and focus on yourself.
Oct 23, 2008
215 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Esoremada wrote: I was under the impression that completing any university engineering program would be likely to get me a job after graduating.
Not quite. Completing a university engineering program WITH co-op or internship experience, is what will likely get you a good job after graduating.

I can safely tell you that the the posts you have quoted are essentially hyperbole and don't really reflect reality. The university you attend will, of course, have an effect on how some employers may perceive you, but that effect is relatively small compared to your own personal accomplishments.

Unsurprisingly, getting the highest marks on tests in high school doesn't always translate into success in the professional world.
Jan 12, 2008
154 posts
9 upvotes
I know you're asking about Ryerson but I wasn't aware "everyone considers Waterloo a terrible university." It's not outstanding but certainly not "terrible"... I mean, sure there's a high suicide rate in the engineering programs, but...
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3376 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
Where are you finding these posts from... I remember seeing those posts from yrs ago...

Anyways, to keep it short, it doesn't matter where you go.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Don't tell divx that Waterloo is a terrible university. He might cry.

After all, it is the school that gave him a $50,000yr co-op placement.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Mar 8, 2008
771 posts
64 upvotes
I went to Ryerson for mechanical engineering but switched out to accounting (now in my 4th year) back in 2008. Don't bother going to Ryerson if you are accepted by Waterloo or UofT. The only thing I would recommend Ryerson for is journalism.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
BobSaget wrote: The only thing I would recommend Ryerson for is journalism.
I disagree. I got a diploma and and degree from Ryerson.
I got a degree from U of T.

When interviewing, the Ryerson degree and diploma put me above the other applicants in my field.

Sadly, I regret my U of T degree. It was not worth the money.

The Ryerson diploma and degree improved my entry level salary and raises since then. Even got a raise this year, when other people have their salaries frozen..

OP, you won't lose with Ryerson. But also take advantage of the Career Services department there (4th floor?). They help with resumes and interviewing skills. They videotaped me in mock interviews and give great critical feedback.
Jun 20, 2007
197 posts
1 upvote
DTscript wrote: I went to college, not university, so I can't give you my personal opinion on the experience. But I will say this, it does not matter where you went to school so long as you complete something and get some working experience (Coop) along the way. After your first job, they rarely look at where you went to school. Mind you, an Engineering program is definitely more challenging in a place like Waterloo, but this has nothing to do with your personal success in the future because that depends on your abilities, not where you studied.

As for the people who are laughing at Ryerson. I find it funny that they call it Ry High yet they act like a bunch of kids themselves by going from their so-called elite school just to taunt others. Don't pay attention to idiots and focus on yourself.
only things that really matter:

1. work experience
2. who you know
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1474 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
Ryerson also served me well despite what anyone tells you on here. Like others have said...co-op is critical for finding a decent job when you graduate. If there isn't co-op, then I wouldn't consider it. Almost all of my classmates are in decent paying jobs after attending University. But, it really only matters when you go to enter the workforce. After that, it is all about work experience, and how you interview.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
its_mo wrote: only things that really matter:

1. work experience
2. who you know
And transcript for certain more competitive positions.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7576 posts
575 upvotes
York
What!? You have all those quotes but none of mine that hate on Ryerson!? Damn :( I don't even know if I should ask why you're saying Waterloo is a "terrible university".
Jun 16, 2012
17 posts
London
I went to Ryerson for my undergrad. I didn't find the courses easy at all and I didn't graduate with a high GPA. I did however get a lot of relevant work experience while working closely with profs on their research. I even earned a couple of publishing's, including a primary authorship in a renown journal. I'm at Western now and the graduate level courses I'm taking are a joke in comparison. However, I admit that so far the profs are better at teaching here than at Ryerson.
Jul 28, 2008
913 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
creatine...not even once
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
Yes, especially the business program they have its horrible. They accept so many people its unbelievable!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7576 posts
575 upvotes
York
imflying12 wrote: Yes, especially the business program they have its horrible. They accept so many people its unbelievable!
You know what I realize now.. I look back and remember those flyers that were being promoted by them in grade 12: "Canada's largest undergraduate business school" and "Canada's fastest growing business school" (I think the second one is that, the 1st one I know for a fact). I look back and think wow.. those aren't necessarily good things.. Canada's largest undergraduate business school because you accept every dropout with a 60% average to BM, and if not BM, they transfer to it in 2nd year from RM or BTM. And the fastest growing? Well you can't really go down so yeah.. since you're the newest, you're obviously the one growing the fastest cause every other reputable university in Canada planted its feet long before Ryerson even became a university.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2133 posts
128 upvotes
GTA
I don't know how accurate some of these posts are. Folks from UofT who did commerce have no jobs while I know plenty Ryerson grads who have jobs at large companies with competitive compensation.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
lexani wrote: I don't know how accurate some of these posts are. Folks from UofT who did commerce have no jobs while I know plenty Ryerson grads who have jobs at large companies with competitive compensation.
I dont know how accurate your post is. I know for a fact that Uoft is ranked world wide and Ryerson isnt. Omg are you saying that if i have a 90 i should reject rotman and go ahead with Ryerson business? Stop wasting your time! I would never get trained at Ryerson even if its was for free. rfd is filled with you people who make up stuff to make ryerson sound so good. Every other crappy business programs close by like Guelph, Brock (besides its accounting co op program), guelph humber , etc dont even have people on this forum that try to make their program sound soo good or better than Uoft.
T
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
Depends on the program really.

I went to Ryerson, got a job before I graduated. No real complaints, I did my research on which school I had the option to going to, and going to Ryerson was a no brainer for my program of interest and my family situation (single parent household where I have my set of household duties).

Some schools are better then others, you just gotta do some research.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)