Students

The RYERSON UNIVERSITY thread

Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1865 posts
15 upvotes

The RYERSON UNIVERSITY thread

OK, since the other universities have their own, might as well make up one for one for us too...

I am going into first year Mechanical Engineering and i am nor living on campus

Oh why does engineering have to be so expensive? How much did urs cost?
23279 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
24844 posts
1231 upvotes
Richmond Hill
university is expensive, but nothing compared to the states, so consider ourselves lucky

$4600 for 1 term (4 month), double that for 8 month. figure just for tuition and other crap, not including meal, housing.
for EE@UW
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5028 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
I'm taking Business Management... Not nearly as expensive... I guess you pay for the equipment u guys use. Mines about $5000/yr w/o books. With books it depends which 1s u buy.
Jul 1, 2006
642 posts
Toronto
Engineering may be little bit expensive but it is one of the exciting subject
at the Ryerson. always try to buy used books. if you look around you'll see
many posters stating books for sale. buy them as soon as your prof. recommend them. virtually, you will not lost money if you sell them in the next semester for
$10-$20 less per book. .....and it is also your best interest not to make any bad habbits such as alcohol etc. remember the student you will see in the 1st year in engineering atleat 30% will be gone by the 2nd year- i can promise you that.
Jan 4, 2006
712 posts
24 upvotes
I'm going to my final year in Marketing at Ryerson, can't wait to graduate :D my tuition wasn't too bad, about $4000 a year w/o txt books. You'll be able to buy used books, there are lots of postings around, and they are so much cheaper than new. I buy most of my books used, saves me tons of money. Last semester, all my books for the 5 classes I took didn't cost me over $120.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1347 posts
58 upvotes
I'm going into my third year in the ITM program this september. Last year I think I spend about $500 on the textbooks. Big time rip-off. Its like $100+ for those accounting/finance books. My tuition this year is like $6400 or something.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2520 posts
8 upvotes
business management at ryerson has so many used books available for their classes

worst part is that many of the books have changed edition already
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3394 posts
110 upvotes
flyingdutchman wrote:OK, since the other universities have their own, might as well make up one for one for us too...

I am going into first year Mechanical Engineering and i am nor living on campus

Oh why does engineering have to be so expensive? How much did urs cost?

tips for first year eng @ rye.

go in the first day at 8am-9am, go to the bookstore. the bookstore is arranged by faculty, they have boards with the courses. find your courses and the text is listed. buy the used ones. because once the prof says the text people leave the class to buy a used one. Check to see if second year used the same book, cause u can buy them off any second year.

also first year eng is general eng, every eng has the same course as others.
Jul 16, 2006
67 posts
w00t RYENG
Go to frosh, you won't regret it ;)

Also, if you want to get a head start, you can check over some of the course material, as I've scanned the course outlines for Mech Eng here: http://aznrocket.googlepages.com/mecheng

Sigh ... feels like only yesterday I was starting out in first year, now I'm in my final year ... :|

For any third-year mechengs there, I have some tests here: http://yip.dennis.googlepages.com/mechengtests

Enjoy ;)
Jan 13, 2006
843 posts
1 upvote
goin into my second year in business managment (well human resources major now:P)..looking forward to it
Jul 18, 2006
37 posts
Toronto
Im going into first year GCM (Graphic Communcation Management). Though I am very eager to go I am still not fully accepted. I am on the waiting list and I am still upgrading my marks. So hopefully everything goes well and I start in Sept. Anyways looking foward to it.
;)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1299 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
going into my last year of business management (accounting major). i never sell my books cause im too lazy to but i might sell some this year (the third year ones).

ill miss the university when im done, even though i hate school.
Apr 23, 2006
540 posts
82 upvotes
Not to scare/discourage you but I took a year of engineering and dreaded every second of it. However, residence and the social aspect of it was unforgettable. Best 8 months of my life...
× < >