Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10204 posts
1059 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
dankup wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 1:24 pm
http://www.ryerson.ca/calendar/2012-2013/pg1310.html

"Students are eligible to take any Minor except those which are specifically excluded by their program because they are too closely related to the core program requirements (e.g., a Business Management - Accounting Major students is not eligible to earn an Accounting Minor);"

So, it seems if you're an accounting major (or finance major, or any major really), you can't get the minor for the same program. If you want a minor for accounting you're going to have to transfer to something completely irrelevant, and then take 6 accounting courses that are linked below the first link^, or here: http://www.ryerson.ca/calendar/2012-2013/pg1311.html I would think you already have 6 accounting courses under your belt, don't you? Bio minor: http://www.ryerson.ca/calendar/2012-2013/pg1312.html
You can minor in the same program. Like Accounting major with finance minor, which is very popular, and vice versa. But I'm thinking of maybe taking two minors, so Accounting/Finance major with a Finance/Accounting minor, along with a "random" minor such as biology or whatever. Back in first year, I got a package in BUS 100 saying you can't do that. But undergraduate calendar says otherwise. Maybe I'll just call them when school is open..
initiator123 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 3:53 pm
I made my winter 2013 schedule and am wondering if it is manageable:

- Taking 6 courses:
ACC410 (redoing it so should be a bit easier)
ACC514
LAW603
LAW525
GEO802
GEO811

Both geography courses being liberals. My only concern is the time management for 514 which will be required. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I will be working part-time once a week during the school year, so school will be my only priority.
I suggest that you take ACC 514 off the list, or something else off the list. 6 courses is a killer, especially when you have ACC 514.
May 10, 2011
196 posts
21 upvotes
neverless wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 8:10 am
It was at 8AM. Surprisingly, this is the best year I've had so far. System isn't going slow at all. I can actually move around RAMSS smoothly (with a 1-2 extra second delay).

Edit: I have a liberal in the AMC this semester. Its been a while since I've been in there but is there a power outlet in the theatres I could use during the lecture? My laptop battery doesn't last that long anymore (40 minutes on a full charge).
You need to go to class early and snag one of the spots near the end where threes a banister at the higher level, there two one on each side, so like around the back left and right corner of the mall where you walk up the stairs then its wedges to the side.

^^ as for majoring something outside the relevance to the Bcomm preset minors, you need to select classes that would normally be in (for example) biology minor, but then all you get is a major on your degree, also your minors or second major is not listed on your degree, only on your resume/transcript, then you either say Minor or "Concentration". Now the tricky part is getting your let say "Bio" minor to be acceptable for your PR reqiurments. This is where you then need to talk to your Program coordinator and the faculty head of (for example) Biology for some course selection guide.

^^ Also as the years go on, it get maddd easy to pick the classes you need, unless your going for something like a 5 day weekend, which usually takes some persistence (staying on ramms all day)
Dec 23, 2006
973 posts
32 upvotes
anyone else getting "not supported method" when trying to go on ramms?
this is getting ridiculous...
Dec 26, 2011
133 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
o1Jeff wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:46 pm
anyone else getting "not supported method" when trying to go on ramms?
this is getting ridiculous...
f5 is your friend. :lol:

I am considering minoring in economics, does anyone know if I can take one or two economics courses as electives that count towards the minor?
Sep 22, 2009
9 posts
okbluejay wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:55 pm
f5 is your friend. :lol:

I am considering minoring in economics, does anyone know if I can take one or two economics courses as electives that count towards the minor?
I had the same issue, f5 didn't help, tried IE9,Firefox,Chrome...nothing. Then read the compatibility doc on RAMSS, turn out it supports very old versions of browsers. So i downloaded Chrome v14, no issues since.
Jun 15, 2010
620 posts
15 upvotes
What do you guys think of:

CLAW603
FIN611
FIN711
DST500
MKT300

Manageable?
Mar 30, 2011
397 posts
52 upvotes
North York
okbluejay wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:55 pm
As long as your not in economics you can minor in it. Just take the courses listed on the requirements page. Note that you need to know calculus for intermediate micro/ macro.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6532 posts
262 upvotes
York
geokilla wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 6:07 pm
You can minor in the same program. Like Accounting major with finance minor, which is very popular, and vice versa. But I'm thinking of maybe taking two minors, so Accounting/Finance major with a Finance/Accounting minor, along with a "random" minor such as biology or whatever. Back in first year, I got a package in BUS 100 saying you can't do that. But undergraduate calendar says otherwise. Maybe I'll just call them when school is open..
My bad. When I said program I meant actual program. Can't major and minor in accounting, but yes, can major in accounting and minor in finance. I've heard many stories where minors are a waste of time and money, and you're better off trying to apply to the field in the first place. Ex: getting an accounting major but using it to apply to a finance related job. As for the random minor - why? Biology has nothing to do with TRS, finance, or accounting. You wanna see what bio is like do it up, but don't give Ryerson $4,000 to see. I remember you telling me you never took bio in high school? Take it online through ILC or through TDSB night school. If you have to, take 1 or 2 intro to bio courses but all 6? Just my point of view but I don't see it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6532 posts
262 upvotes
York
Has RAMSS been down for the last few days? All I'm getting is "Not Supported Method".
Mar 29, 2011
825 posts
67 upvotes
dankup wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 12:01 pm
Has RAMSS been down for the last few days? All I'm getting is "Not Supported Method".
Try a different browser
Jun 8, 2012
434 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
refresh the page

EDIT: seems like they are having some issues. Tried to enroll in a class and the page just locks up. Tried IE and Chrome, same results.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1009 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone taking RMG910 before? How is the course overall?
Nov 13, 2010
716 posts
38 upvotes
anyone planning to do a CMA? is mhr405 required or is it optional since we take mhr523?
οὗτος μὲν οἴεταί τι εἰδέναι οὐκ εἰδώς, ἐγὼ δέ, ὥσπερ οὖν οὐκ οἶδα, οὐδὲ οἴομαι
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2566 posts
181 upvotes
mykismet wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 1:11 pm
anyone planning to do a CMA? is mhr405 required or is it optional since we take mhr523?

Optional now, when I was in first year 405 was a required course. Now they've made 523 required and CMA allows either one. I think my friend may have took MHR 523 and 405 without realizing he didn't have to do both lol.

http://docs.cma-ontario.org/post-second ... gement.pdf
× < >